Your Strangest Club Golfer

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not one as such, but I played my first senior open last year ,I've not got the best swing in the world but some I saw that day amazed me, all types of different swings. But even the most strange swings of the players I witnessed hit it straight.

When the longest prize was announced , a thin old guy of at least 75 proudly went up and collected his prize, made me smile that one.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a guy that never wears anything but shorts

We have two of those! :)

WOW your clubs have got slack on dress code not even at our place can you go out without a shirt!

We have a guy who has a three stage backswing which starts miles outside that looks so disjointed it's unbelievable. He is stuck on 18 but he's happy and a great bloke to go out and play with.
One of our seniors takes between 7 and 15 practice swings then duffs it about 40 yards more often than not.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
WOW your clubs have got slack on dress code not even at our place can you go out without a shirt!

Does the one guy at yours play without a shirt then? Our dress code insists on shirts with collars (for the men anyway). Our two guys wear tailored shorts throughout the year with shirts (and pullovers in cold weather). We have at least 3 members who wear Plus 2's with long socks. :)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Although I say so myself, this is the best thread ever. Keep them coming

Big shout, good granted, but best....

Can't think of any at current club, but years ago I was at good old Thorpe Wood P'boro' (decent muni). Watched a guy play who was a ringer for Neil from the Young Ones, sandals ,flares, and all. From what I saw he was a decent player. I imagined a budding teenager who turned his back on convention but was tempted onto the course occasionally.
There was also a feisty member originally from North of the border who always looked like he came straight from the pub, loved to talk you through his whole game but was a canny player, great putter. FC that day told me a tale about him that I wanted to true, guy was under par and well on for course record when he 3 stabbed from a good position on the 14th, and walked straight of the course in a rage.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two fellas at our place.

One plays every shot with right hand clubs, but putts with a left handed putter.

One lad putted one handed on anything up to about 10 foot, anything over two handed.

I only seen him miss one putt inside 6 foot on the day I played with him.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One guy at our place has a swing to die for, as in youd rather die than have it!

Same chap has been playing less than 3 years, heres the stuff hes bought

6 bags, 5 drivers, 1 mini, 3 3 woods, I 4 wood, 2 5 woods, 2 7 woods, 17, 23 an 31 hybrids, 4 sets of irons, 7 wedges and 3 putters

Wierdo

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even our own forum members

MashleyR7 plays left handed, putts right handed

Midnight - has a swing all of his own. Comes up very low and flat, then goes VERY steep, down over the top. It's a wonder to watch and he does hit some good shots - one of the nicest guys I've ever played with

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One guy I have played with needs everyone to stand in one particular place on the tee to be able to swing. Can see you at any part of his swing or claims it puts him off.

In reality it means we stand in a small arc just off his front shoulder

leads to some interesting discussions especially in match play and people checking groups desperately trying to avoid him in the draw.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to play with one bloke, on a links course, who would putt from 70yds and in. Phenomenal control as he would leave the ball within a flags distance of the pin time and time again. Ironically not that great when on the green but amazing pace control from off the green.

It was always good to play with him when a newbie joined us. Just watching their face when he would pull the putter out from such a distance was always a picture. Even better when they realised he could do it time and time again.

The balance to this was that he could not do the same trick on parkland courses so he was stumped then, chipping being a major weakness in his game.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even our own forum members

MashleyR7 plays left handed, putts right handed

Midnight - has a swing all of his own. Comes up very low and flat, then goes VERY steep, down over the top. It's a wonder to watch and he does hit some good shots - one of the nicest guys I've ever played with

totally agree about Guy [midnight]top bloke with a swing all of his own.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One guy I have played with needs everyone to stand in one particular place on the tee to be able to swing. Can see you at any part of his swing or claims it puts him off.

In reality it means we stand in a small arc just off his front shoulder

leads to some interesting discussions especially in match play and people checking groups desperately trying to avoid him in the draw.

Oh no, not again.

:D