Your Season Review

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?
Yep - Target 7.9, currently at 7.4

Best Shot of the Year
Plenty to choose from but the one that stands out is the pitch on the 17th at East Berks. 60yds off a bare lie up a 10ft bank, narrowly missing a tree, over a bunker to a foot for a tap in par

Worst shot of the Year
Can't remember any specifics, but the back to back rounds when I scored 23 & 19 points early in the year while undergoing a swing change would have contained plenty of contenders :D

Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases etc)
Probably lessons earlier in the year, I have had lessons before but none this effective

Best Golfing Experience
Playing the Dunluce Links at Royal Portrush courtesy of GM

Bargain of the Year
Not bought anything substantial I can think of

If I could go back to the start of the year and give myself advice, it would be...
Your not as good a putter as you think you are, practice more and you'll thank me in October

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
No goal at my age, staying at 5 hc at 61 years old is a goal in itself. Not bad when all my Q scores, over 35 of them, have come from three different golf courses. Hit buffer or better in my last 5 medals played.

Best shot......mmm Driver off the deck at the par5 9th at Dunbar. Flushed onto the green for an easy two putt birdie.

Worst shot....Medal at Royal Musselburgh, almost missed the ball on the 12th tee, out the neck, hit a tree and came back over just short of the 13th green....went about 40 yards. In saying that, I flushed a three wood then PW, just missing the par putt.

Best off course exp.....8 days straight at the open and getting paid. Was standing at the 9th green when Poulter put in the great shot then eagle putt. IS THAT OFF COURSE?????

Best golfing exp.....winning a 4 man scramble with me draining the very last putt on the 18th for 9 straight threes on the back 9.

Bargain......Set of cracking condition MP53 irons for 240 nicker........just love em.

If I could go back.......never look back. Honest, no regrets.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Did you hit your target?
I didn't have one.... apart from to stay lower than Fundy :ears:

Best Shot of the Year
None... but my putting at Westhill was pleasing. Oooh actually my 219yrd flushed 20 degree 5-wood to set up an eagle on the 1st hole at Farleigh - it was PURE!!!

Worst shot of the Year
Can't remember my bad shots.

Had some right laughs at the range this year with forumers... happy days!

Best Golfing Experience
Don't really have one

Bargain of the Year
Can't think of any.

If I could go back to the start of the year and give myself advice, it would be...
Smash my laptop and rip out my internet connection.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

no, aimed for a 2 shot cut. only managed to get cut 1. I didn't play enough comps for my liking. too much stuff going on to make the sunday comps often enough. played quite a lot of practice evening games though. also had to learn how to play my new home course. it took a little time to work out where to hit and more importantly, where not to hit it.

Best Shot of the Year

no real stand out shots in my mind. no doubt there are a few in there but none are sticking out! boring!

Worst shot of the Year

one after another at the same tee box. big duck hook into trees followed by a big slice. both ball lost so reloading for 5 off the tee. made an 11 on a par 5. only saving grace was I still made buffer due that that being the only thing I did wrong all day. it was on the 5th so happy I managed to keep my head and play some good stuff after.

meeting the NW crew for the many meets. great bunch of lads and lass!

Best Golfing Experience

played preston in the sunshine with scouser and greg. no card in hand that day so I could soak up the beauty of the course in great weather and managed to play some good stuff that day.

Bargain of the Year

no real bargains this year! bought a quite a few 2nd bits that I was happy with.

play more comps and sort of your driving!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

My target was 14 minimum, although I got down to 14.6 by the end of June, I failed to push on and ended up on 15.4 following 8 0.1 increases, which means I have to answer with a No, I did not.

Best Shot of the Year

Really couldn't tell you.

Worst shot of the Year

A shanked 6 iron when a bogey on the 18th would have meant I won the England golf regional medal final, not the worst I hot but certainly the costliest.

Meeting a lot of great people.

Best Golfing Experience

Playing in the England golf grand medal final, it was cool arriving at the course and seeing a big scoreboard erected with my name on it.

Bargain of the Year

although actually at the end of last season, the cheap golf lessons from Groupon.

More my advice for next year, don't go for risky shots when putting together a good card.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

I can't remember if I set myself one, but if I did it would have involved lowering my handicap, so a big fat no to that one.

Best Shot of the Year

My memory is shocking for this sort of thing, but I hit a wind-assisted 220yd 4h today to leave a 3' eagle putt. Can't have been many better than that.

Worst shot of the Year

Anyone of the short putts missed because of snookers equivalent of a chicken wing!!
I can live with missing putts, but it winds me up when I feel my hands tweak at impact.
Plenty of those unfortunately.

Reducing my EE through visits to the range. Made my iron play so much more consistent.

Best Golfing Experience

Spending 3 days at St. Mellion, Cornwall.

Bargain of the Year

As above, 3 rounds (2 on Nicklaus) and 2 nights DB&B for £200.

Don't faff about over decisions. If you want to do stuff then do it while you can.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yes I started with the aim of getting from 24.9 down to 18 to actually get to 15.0 has been an amazing experience. I also managed to get my name on one of the boards and won the Thursday Society summer league. At the start of the year if I could have plotted out the prefect year golfing wise this wouldnt have been far from it.

Best Shot of the Year

Drive on a 515 par five which ended up by the 150 marker, fairway was 30 foot downhill though :whistle:

Worst shot of the Year

I had the unmentionables for a few weeks in early may, pick any one of those.

Randomly drawn out with a guy I had never spoken too before. 8 hours later we are both extremely drunk and have become very good mates since.

Best Golfing Experience

Playing in the 18-28 Handicap (Hallets society) matches against various other clubs, had a great time with those guys and got to play some wonderful courses and played with some great people who gave me some great advice and really helped my game.

Bargain of the Year

Odyssey 2 ball putter off ebay for 22 quid, its not talking to me at the moment but it has honestly been great.

Your enjoying playing golf at 25 handicap, just remember that when youve shot 30 points off 15 and are miserable

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
DID I HIT MY TARGET
No , but after having a good finish last season I was looking forward with excitement [at my age ah!] to 2013. However the year ended with bad weather , and the new year started with sad family news. Both contributed to my handicap increase of 14-16 :whistle:
GOOD SHOTS
I've had a few but to few to mention, that rings a bell
BAD SHOTS
Michael Jacksons BAD just about sums it up
WHAT I'VE LEARNED THIS YEAR.
Don't give whippersnappers 6 shots.:rofl:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yes, and the stretch target. Started the year on 6.3, and going in the wrong direction. The aim was to get back to Cat 1, with a stretch of hitting 4.

Best Shot of the Year

Out of position on a par 4. A drawn 4 iron around trees, finishing on the green.

Worst shot of the Year

1st tee at Woburn. I took a 5 wood for position, and promptly topped it 30yds.

The H4H auction. Fantastic atmosphere, for a great cause and a tremendous result.

Best Golfing Experience

Tough one. Either the Britain's Best Putter final at the Belfry or the Lexus Yorkshire Challenge with GM.

Bargain of the Year

An Ebay 'win'. The set of Titliest 712CB's that have transformed my game this year.

Remember, "patience is a virtue."

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My only target is not to get to 19. Once I do I am giving up. I may have said this before but no man should get more than one shot a hole.:whistle:

Best shot of the year would probably be my drive just short of Shell bunker at the 7th at St Andrews.
Worst shot of the year would probably be my fatted sandwedge into Shell bunker at the 7th at St Andrews.:eek:

Best off course moment would be 'winning' a ball room dancing lesson at the H4H auction. Don't even remember bidding.:confused:

Best golfing experience would be trip to St Andrews, and managing to spank one down that very tight first fairway on the Old Course.

Bargain of the year would be the rounds at Cuddington, Coombe Hill, Tandridge and The Berkshire I bought at the H4H auction.

D

Deleted member 17920

Did you hit your target?

I aimed at the start of the season to get to 8, Started the season at 10.2 and so far with a couple of qualifiers left I am 9.3 so no not really.

Best Shot of the Year

Has to be the hole in 1 on the 5th on the Hotckhin as it was my 1st ever ace :D

Worst shot of the Year

I've had some really good contenders, Maybe the shank on the spare hole at SAOL links that bounced 3 times in the car park over podgsters van. but the winner has to be a shank on the 1st on the Hotckhin to go out of bounds in a foursomes match the look on my partners face said it all. I could have died :eek:

Getting my 13 year old lad to play his 1st full round without getting bored. Made him play in a couple of B team matches and he enjoyed it.

Best Golfing Experience

Got to be Woburn for me, Wanted to play at Woburn for years and it was a great day with fantastic weather and 3 forum members who were a delight to spend the day with.

Bargain of the Year

My Bushnell tour V3. Had £120 vouchers for a win from last year so put it towards that and it cost me £140. Best £140 I have ever spent.

Do not under any circumstances set myself a target, Just enjoy the game and that is what I am now doing.

Linnets

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did you hit your target?
I didn't really have a target as such apart from to take golf a bit more seriously rather than just the occasional knock around with mates. This year I've gone from a 28 hcpper (more like a 35) to a 22 which the vast majority of the time I can play to or better, just need to do it more often in comps and my handicap will tumble.

Best Shot of the Year

Chip in from 40 yds for a birdie on a double dogleg par 5

Worst shot of the Year

Usually don't dwell on my bad shots, but any one of several tee shots at H4H do spring to mind

Purchasing my Cobra ZL Encore 9.5* Driver, it has transformed my driving consistency

Best Golfing Experience

Has to be H4H at West Hill GC, even though I didn't play well I enjoyed the day immensely and got to meet some wonderful forumers.

Bargain of the Year

Garmin S2 GPS Watch

If you are going to purchase a new driver, don't pick one because you like the look of it, pick one because you can hit it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

I did not set a target this year as I wanted to just go out there, try my best and not put any increased pressure on. The results were so much better than expected. After a slow start I finished with a handicap of 15, 4 shots lower than my highest this year. Considering that, when I started playing golf I thought that if I could ever get down to 14/15 I would be happy then this year has really pleased me.

Best Shot of the Year

Playing 13th Hole at my course which, for me, is a long par 4 with a stream in front of the green. Caught a 3 wood just right for my second shot and watched it roll up to the top tier of the green for a tap in birdie. I would normally walk of this hole more than happy with a 5 so that really made me smile.

Worst shot of the Year

I have mentioned this on here before. First shot on a medal, teed it up too high, driver passed under the ball without touching it, the tee went flying and the ball dropped straight down like a magician pulling the table cloth off a loaded table.

2 lessons with Bob, one on my short game and one on bunker play. These 2 have been a massive contribution towards my reduced handicap.

Best Golfing Experience

Cash has been short to take any away trips this year. The only one was for the Help for Heroes day and anything else would be hard pressed to beat that from the quality of course, the company and simply what was achieved.

Bargain of the Year

My Mizuno Stability shoes. Been looking for a comfortable, hard wearing pair of shoes for ages and these fit the bill perfectly.

I should have had the lessons that I did have much sooner.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Did you hit your target?

Didn't really set one.

Best Shot of the Year

Hmm... Probably my chip-in at Cooden on the stroke index 1 for a birdie :)

Worst shot of the Year

Too many to remember!

Had a great few days at the range with JustOne up at Farleigh, so probably those.

Best Golfing Experience

Cooden :)

Bargain of the Year

Lake balls off ebay!

Bed in swing changes for more than 5 minutes!!!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Nope :(.

Best Shot of the Year

cant say

Worst shot of the Year

been a few

Friday night Ballyliffin Hotel bar . pains from laughing .. BAGPIPES ... DONNA . Woman from Tom & Jerry.. & Rise Above the Flames

Bob the legend

Best Golfing Experience

Titleist fitting with GM

Bargain of the Year

Same as above

Dont bother with the lessons.. dont get so hung up on how the swing looks , dont chase handicap cut

Last edited:

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Target - Zero for one, aimed for (and should have breezed into) single figures but didn't even get close, put too much pressure on myself and let my swing get sloppy.

Best shot - 12th hole @ Castle Stuart, big drive to left centre fairway, 203yd left 18mph helping wind. Flushed a 7i high draw which landed in a collection area front right and gathered into the green exactly as I had pictured. What I hadn't seen was the ball had a look at the hole on the way past, I was just glad to hole the 4ft eagle putt

Worst shot - 5day open 2nd qualifying round. Standing on the 18th tee having the round of my life, needed par for 80 and the low net of the day. I pulled the drive onto the 1st which isn't a disaster as there is still a good line in, but duffing a 4i into the hay on the hill wasn't part of the plan. Neither was hitting 4" behind my fourth shot which resulted in a horrible stance for the 5th which barely got up top, approach through the back, chip way past the pin and a 3 putt from 15ft. Any of those 10 shots will suffice.

Off course - getting ryder cup tickets, once in a lifetime chance taken

Best experience - played Forres with a mate who rarely plays but enjoys it when he does. Let him have the honour on the 1st tee where he proceeded to take 2 airshots before smashing one 270 with a beautiful draw that finished at the front of the green, I could barely tee up for laughing/shaking my head in disbelief.

Bargain - my MP-52s, a gift from an uncle I've seen once in 20yrs, he had one more set of irons than his wife knew about so one had to go.

Start of the year advice. I am not a pro, things will happen that I didn't play for, take them in stride and enjoy the game

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

I didn't really have a target. Taking golf really seriously happened accidentally back in June and I joined my local course as a member in August. That said, I've gone from playing round in 120+ shots to consistently breaking 100 in the last 5 months, and now have a handicap of 24. It's probably not much of an achievement, but I'm quite pleased. I want to get to 18 by the end of next season! Bring it on!!!

Best Shot of the Year

Hook-topped my drive on a par 4 dog-leg which went about 70 yards and ended up in front of the trees that the fairway bends round. Was faced with either playing safe and going for the middle of the fair way, or attempting to carry the ball 180 yards with my 4 iron and hope it lands on the edge of the fairway to roll onto the green. Wasn't sure if I was able to get the ball up high enough to clear the trees initially but decided to just go for it. Had to take a walk onto the fairway to locate the flag and then try to keep an eye on it's 'location' relative to the trees on the way back to the ball. Took the shot and couldn't have hit it any sweeter. It didn't make the green sadly but came to a stop 5 yards off, and I ended up chipping in for a birdie! It still puts a smile on my face now thinking about it.

Worst shot of the Year

Too many to count, particularly with my drives, but I would have to say some of my chipping where I haven't committed to the shot and the ball has just rolled about 3 feet and stopped. Always heart wrenching when I do that. I don't tend to do it anymore thanks to Phil's Secrets of the Short Game DVD that I managed to source a copy of, but it wasn't nice!

Purchasing a new putter that I could actually really use well (Yes Sandy 12). Putting for me used to be an utter mess, but now I rarely 3 putt unless having a really bad day.

Best Golfing Experience

The first time I broke 100 (with a 99) was awesome - such a great feeling to reach that milestone. The day after that I made a 96 too which has to date been my personal best.

Bargain of the Year

It may or may not have been a bargain (I'm not too hot on club prices), but I bought 4 Ping Tour S wedges off Fish for £140 and they have (and still are!) served me well.

Start taking golf seriously instead of playing 2 times a year at the beginning of the season, not in June!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target? Didn't have a target as I only started playing in May. Eventually joined a club in August and got a handicap in September. I guess I've taken a large stride rather than achieved a target. Best Shot of the Year Holed out with a pitch from around 40 yards. Worst shot of the Year Lots to choose from, maybe the knifed chip from the edge of the green which turned a simple up and down for 4 into a stupid 8. Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases etc) Lesson I had in September, helped knock off 12 shots from my previous best later the very same day. Best Golfing Experience The last weekend in Silloth, weather was insane but the crack great and met some really nice people. Bargain of the Year G5 driver for £20 If I could go back to the start of the year and give myself advice, it would be... Join a course a lot earlier than I did, playing 3-4 times a week along with a lesson or two really helped my game improve.

Last edited: