You can now win an Olympic Gold Medal in......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Dibby weight categories in certain sports allow for more than one medal. I get your point but I think it is stretching things.

Rules for different styles of an event, Clean & Jerk, or the Wrestling example, give a sport some order. We can't have total carnage, it is a sport

Swimming - Comes back to the weight category point really, you would only have freestyle events at different lengths. Having different styles shows different skills, different strengths and adds more events. Equate that to athletics, why have 110m hurdles, 400m hurdles or steeplechase? Variations are okay in my eyes as you still have to be the fastest to win, just the fastest in a certain style.

I'm guessing we could go back and forth on this and end up repeating our points. I understand what you are saying (y)

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
@Dibby weight categories in certain sports allow for more than one medal. I get your point but I think it is stretching things.

Rules for different styles of an event, Clean & Jerk, or the Wrestling example, give a sport some order. We can't have total carnage, it is a sport

Swimming - Comes back to the weight category point really, you would only have freestyle events at different lengths. Having different styles shows different skills, different strengths and adds more events. Equate that to athletics, why have 110m hurdles, 400m hurdles or steeplechase? Variations are okay in my eyes as you still have to be the fastest to win, just the fastest in a certain style.

I'm guessing we could go back and forth on this and end up repeating our points. I understand what you are saying (y)

Yeah, was just pointing out it's all subjective, people pick on gymnastics which is judged against an ideal, but it's no different to having to do something in a certain style and be judged whether you met that style or not.

I get some variation like distances, just not restricting how you can cover that distance. Swimming has distances too, but butterfly for example would be like having the 100m sprint, but not being allowed to bend your knees - quite fancy seeing the 100m goose-step now actually!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m pretty happy with the way the Olympics progresses to add and remove sports.

I think some core events should stay and I also think new ones should replace other events not in the core.

Anyone who doesn’t like the non core events can just not watch them and focus on the core ones.

As for the core, I think Swimming, Athletics and Gymnastics make up the bulk of the core. I think weightlifting probably should be in the core along with the marathon but anything else is fair game for going in or out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just consider that Brake dancing is in the Olympics, while Squash has still not been added - despite this being a fairly well established international sport.

Not sure of the reasons for Squash being overlooked. Whether it's due to venue complications or not considered a good spectator sport? But there's plenty of other events that aren't exactly spectator friendly.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
See that breakdancing has been included as an Olympic Sport in Paris. What the actual?!? The French have always been a touch “different” in their popular culture but this just takes the biscuit. Breakdancing went out of fashion decades ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/55223554
I would have thought they would add parkour into it. It's certainly more modern that breakdance and I think the French started it.
But of course a country adds a sport they have the best medal chances in.

In regards to judging, I agree that sports need to be measured, otherwise it is art.
Maybe they give gold to the fastest breakdancer, or the highest jumping one.

What did London add? I can't remember anymore. Was it TaekWonDo? Women's boxing?
They should have done strictly.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s the Modern Olympics and it’s the taking part that counts.

sunshine

Visit site
Some interesting posts here.

Fundamentally, break dancing is an art form and not a sport. In the same way that ballet is not a sport. Neither belong at the Olympics.

I also believe that synchro (ballet in water), dressage (horse dancing) and various other dancing events are all art not sport.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What did London add? I can't remember anymore. Was it TaekWonDo? Women's boxing?
Apparently womens boxing, mixed doubles tennis, tweaked the cycling events to reduce the mens and add more womens events (to get closer to equal medal opps). Possibly tweaked other events to add more womens versions but not certain.