You can now win an Olympic Gold Medal in......

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you think Rose holds his Olympic Gold medal over winning the US Open ?

What do you think any pro golfer would rather win ? The Masters / Open / Us Open or an Olympic Gold medal - also worth noting that each country was limited to how many they could send and even then a good number of the best players didnt play.

For some sports it is the pinnacle - athletics, swimming , rowing , gymnastics etc

For the likes of Golf , tennis , football it isn’t - there are bigger events for those sports
I guess I am allowed to hold that opinion, you don't have to. Surely it's up to the holder of the medal to decide what it means to them and what priority it holds in their accolades, as such you cant say 'it isnt'. you can mearly give an opinion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess I am allowed to hold that opinion, you don't have to. Surely it's up to the holder of the medal to decide what it means to them and what priority it holds in their accolades, as such you cant say 'it isnt'. you can mearly give an opinion.

Rose has always talked about his Olympic medal in very high esteem and has said he rates it higher than his majors. Maybe to him it is special, being a once every four year event, limited number of winners etc. That's his right. Whether as golfers we agree is irrespective and maybe because we've been brought up on four majors a year we view them as the pinnacle. Would be interesting if Rose won an Open if he held the same opinion of the olympic medal then

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just because he views it that way does not mean the rest of the golfing world does.

This link shows who participated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_individual . It's a good field but not the depth is not there to elevate it above that.
No one has suggested the rest of the Golfing World does, I said it's up to the person winning the medal to decide how it rates in their order of achievements and incorrect to suggest they won't consider it their main achievement. I suggested previously that someone like Mo Farah probably holds his Olympic achievements as his prime accolades but that's for him not us to decide.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If others decide not to enter due to health concerns that's not an issue for the winner. If the world top five don't enter should it be scrapped.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If others decide not to enter due to health concerns that's not an issue for the winner. If the world top five don't enter should it be scrapped.

That isn't what I am saying. Elevating an Olympic gold at golf above a major when you have such a poor field is laughable.

What if your top 5 are all American, all 5 can't turn up, it's not possible.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No one has suggested the rest of the Golfing World does, I said it's up to the person winning the medal to decide how it rates in their order of achievements and incorrect to suggest they won't consider it their main achievement. I suggested previously that someone like Mo Farah probably holds his Olympic achievements as his prime accolades but that's for him not us to decide.
I get that but an individual deciding which trophy means more to them is very different to what means more to their peers / equivalents. If Rickie Fowler stated that his Players Championship was worth more than a Major no one outside of him would actually believe it to be true (he hasn't by the way, I plucked that out of the air) Rose may well feel that his Olympic gold was the pinnacle of his career, no issue if he feels that way, but the world of golf will not see his medal that way.

Mandofred

Visit site
Whether a golfer views the olympic medal as the best thing ever is kind of irrelevant. The question is whether it should be in the Olympics. Just because one person thinks it's the best thing ever....doesn't make it so. I still say.....do away with the Olympics. Each sport has it's own championship once a year....keeps it cheaper and every year there is a world champion. Every 4 years worked a long time ago......the world has changed.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That isn't what I am saying. Elevating an Olympic gold at golf above a major when you have such a poor field is laughable.

What if your top 5 are all American, all 5 can't turn up, it's not possible.
I get that but an individual deciding which trophy means more to them is very different to what means more to their peers / equivalents. If Rickie Fowler stated that his Players Championship was worth more than a Major no one outside of him would actually believe it to be true (he hasn't by the way, I plucked that out of the air) Rose may well feel that his Olympic gold was the pinnacle of his career, no issue if he feels that way, but the world of golf will not see his medal that way.
I don't seem to be getting my point across so I'll try just one more time and then leave it.

I'm not sure why it's being said that other pro golfers or anyone else may disagree that an Olympic golf gold medal is not considered the pinnacle of a golfers career, I never suggested they are not entitled to that opinion.

My only point here is that the priority the medal holds in the winners golfing accolades is their own business and it cannot be claimed they 'cannot' hold it as a career pinnacle.

I hope that clarifies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just because he views it that way does not mean the rest of the golfing world does.

This link shows who participated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_individual . It's a good field but not the depth is not there to elevate it above that.

At the end of the day though isn't all about personal opinion. If Rose has that view then so be it. For the record, I would rather have the US open wins up there given the challenge of the courses and the quality of the field but he obviously sees it differently

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Btw, I think long drive might be quite a good addition for golf in the olympics. It’s done in an evening, and we can all feel insignificant the next comp after that. This 450 yard par 4 should be reachable.

On a slightly less serious note, topgolf. Basically, if archery can be in it ...

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't seem to be getting my point across so I'll try just one more time and then leave it.

I'm not sure why it's being said that other pro golfers or anyone else may disagree that an Olympic golf gold medal is not considered the pinnacle of a golfers career, I never suggested they are not entitled to that opinion.

My only point here is that the priority the medal holds in the winners golfing accolades is their own business and it cannot be claimed they 'cannot' hold it as a career pinnacle.

I hope that clarifies.

The point you are missing is that the view of one individual does not get to override everyone elses, even if that individual has won something the others have not. Rose can think the medal is the best thing in the world, but if 999 other professional golfers say they don't really care about the Olympics and think a major is better, then we know what most professional golfer consider the pinnacle.

or put another way:

If I win the "crap golfers society" order of merit 2020, claim it is the pinnacle of my golf career, and much better than ever winning any of the majors or the Olympics, do you think that also makes it the pinnacle of everyone else's career? If you say no, it's just because you haven't won it and really you're jealous, same for Tiger, Jack, and even Rosey himself.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point you are missing is that the view of one individual does not get to override everyone elses, even if that individual has won something the others have not. Rose can think the medal is the best thing in the world, but if 999 other professional golfers say they don't really care about the Olympics and think a major is better, then we know what most professional golfer consider the pinnacle.

or put another way:

If I win the "crap golfers society" order of merit 2020, claim it is the pinnacle of my golf career, and much better than ever winning any of the majors or the Olympics, do you think that also makes it the pinnacle of everyone else's career? If you say no, it's just because you haven't won it and really you're jealous, same for Tiger, Jack, and even Rosey himself.
You either haven't read my posts or don't understand my point.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You either haven't read my posts or don't understand my point.

I don't think you read your own posts either! You went from:

SocketRocket said:
Why is a Golf Olympic Gold Medal not the pinnacle of the sport?

Questioning why anyone would think otherwise, and placing Olympic golf as the sports pinnacle.

When people commented that in the golfing community most don't agree and don't consider it the pinnacle you backtracked with:

In my opinion it's a true pinnacle of a sporting career.

and

SocketRocket said:

So now we are talking about individual career pinnacles rather than absolute pinnacles of the sport, hence my example of my career pinnacle of winning the "crap golfers society" order of merit. I hold it in such high regard I'm not even going to try for a major or Olympic medal!

Then finally just for laughs you said

SocketRocket said:

and decided to ignore that too and reply! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think you read your own posts either! You went from:

Questioning why anyone would think otherwise, and placing Olympic golf as the sports pinnacle.

When people commented that in the golfing community most don't agree and don't consider it the pinnacle you backtracked with:

and

So now we are talking about individual career pinnacles rather than absolute pinnacles of the sport, hence my example of my career pinnacle of winning the "crap golfers society" order of merit. I hold it in such high regard I'm not even going to try for a major or Olympic medal!

Then finally just for laughs you said

and decided to ignore that too and reply! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I didn't want to continue posting on the subject but you have seen fit to selectively pull bits out of my posts and portray them to suit your agenda.

I have made it clear in all of them that it's a matter of opinion and everyone is entitled to their view on where an Olympic gold medal sits in sporting achievements. In the case of someone like Justin Rose it's entirely up to him how he rates it but again you or anyone else is entitled to disagree with him if you wish.