Yoga / Pilates to improve flexibility

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the last few years I've carried a fragile back which on a bad swing day can tweek and cause some recurring issues for a few weeks until it dies down, I've also noticed that generally I'm not as flexible as I would like and I feel this could also be restricting the swing slighting in respect to the full range of other around my age group, I would say this is very evident with respect to a full shoulder turn on follow through, which I'm guessing could be holding back some swing speed.

I've spoken to a few people and general consensus is that yoga/Pilates could help with flexibility and also core stability , my question is

A) has anyone done either or both and noticed a improved in flexibility

B) apart from a random YouTube search does anyone have links to a tried and tested routine that starts of somewhere end complete novice level with maybe an improvement plan,

Thanks in advance,

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did go to some yoga classes first and once I knew the correct way to do the stretches I started doing some of these routines.

I suffered with bad back, hips and shoulders over the years And yoga helps to keep me on the course these days.

Would recommend attending some classes to start with.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the last few years I've carried a fragile back which on a bad swing day can tweek and cause some recurring issues for a few weeks until it dies down, I've also noticed that generally I'm not as flexible as I would like and I feel this could also be restricting the swing slighting in respect to the full range of other around my age group, I would say this is very evident with respect to a full shoulder turn on follow through, which I'm guessing could be holding back some swing speed.

I've spoken to a few people and general consensus is that yoga/Pilates could help with flexibility and also core stability , my question is

A) has anyone done either or both and noticed a improved in flexibility

B) apart from a random YouTube search does anyone have links to a tried and tested routine that starts of somewhere end complete novice level with maybe an improvement plan,

Thanks in advance,

Katherine roberts has a book out yoga for golfers, Paul Chek has some stuff on biomex (it would be safe to say his knowledge of biomex is ahead of his golf knowledge and his infomercial american style with it's nuances can be off putting to an english audience), draovitch and simpson on golf conditioning and golfmed (net) had some stuff from ramsey mcmaster when he was about. In addition most physios or ot's should be able to help you if you show them the movements you need. Paul Darby is a physio who's done some stuff. There's some from mark bull a sports scientist and pro out there too.

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would be really handy if there was some DVDs out.

See above downloads / CD's from golf med. Cd included with draovitch and simpson. Also warm up routine pdf out there from bull.

Also mytpi website

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gonna spend some time tonight bouncing about online. Had to miss playing this week due to the back do I think enough is enough.

Cheers for the link gareth

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Boring answer coming up; you should get a correct diagnosis for the cause of your back issues. Although improving core strength and posture is nearly always the long term answer, there may be some immediate cause that needs rectifying or underlying condition that a new exercise routine may exacerbate.

In my experience of Yoga, there is absolutely no substitute for training in the correct technique. Personally, I couldn't have understood the subtleties of correct application of even the most 'simple' poses without personal instruction. In my experience it is far too easy to try too hard or focus on the wrong area and end up getting very little benefit. It takes to time to grasp the basics and they are critical. Everyone has a different ability and a trained Yogi can recognise your strengths and weaknesses and tailor even the basic poses to your particular needs. Yoga is not a one size fits all discipline.

I would book a session with a sports physio to get a diagnosis and possible treatment. Longer term I would then look for a local Yoga school offering a beginners course in Yoga (say 8 weeks) and then work hard to grasp the fundamental poses. I went down this road and just a 10 minute stretch pre-golf using basic Yoga poses almost ensures I'm ache free post-round.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
^+1. Particularly important to get right diagnosis in case yoga or pilates makes the situation worse. Then the key is go to classes to get specific instruction on how to do yoga or pilates positions correctly. Once you know the basics, you can do it yourself but would still recommend being overseen by a prof teacher to get the best results. I did this last year and it does help.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
short answer is yes it will help Golf swing enormously.

How often do you start swinging better after a few holes when you've warmed up.

Oddsocks, visit the TPI for the best stuff out there. http://www.mytpi.com/

D

Deleted member 15344

Pilates has certainly helped me keep my back pain free and feel fresh after each round

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
agree you should seek medical opinion first to see if there is underlying issue

was recently suggested to me - mid forties man - that 2 things are good 1. cardio-vascular for stamina and 2. different type of press ups, you know the variations legs crossed - diagonal etc... and that you shouldn't do exercises that involve lifting/pushing more than your own body weight...

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have found pilates to be excellent in protecting the lower back and allowing the older golfer a prolonged career. It is just so boring though! A young buck at my club swears that yoga has put 20 yards on his drives!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was referred to a Pilates class by a back Surgeon, he thought surgery was not the best option and that Pilates would be beneficial in my case. The classes worked on strengthening the pelvic floor muscle groups that support the spine but become weak in most of us as we age. It did improve things a lot and also improved flexibility.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With regards to seeking expert medical diagnosis, my chiropractor assessed my back and suggested yoga/Pilates as a better form of improving flexibility and core strength without the high stress gym work.

I do understand about seeing a pro teacher to get the basics before venturing on your own though.