X - day has arrived!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been waiting for Feb....and the arrival of Callaway Hyper X.

here it is

http://eu.callawaygolf.com/uk.CLUBS.Drivers.HyperXDriver.html

so, with a wad of cash, I drove to see a local pro who had one in. Tried it, liked it, but not convinced. As some of you will remember, I've been trying to match my swing weights and, well, Hyper X comes out as D5.

so, I am going to find a 460

http://eu.callawaygolf.com/uk.CLUBS.Drivers.BigBertha460Driver.specs-0.html

and try that....which will be quite a bit cheaper......watch this space, prices are tumbling.....

also....neither is available in 12 degrees, which means going for 11 or (in the 460) the 13.

So why the need to swap the FT-3? simple.....not a slice in sight now for 3 months, a few straight/draw, but the odd hook thrown in for good measure. Plus, I'd rather a straight ti club without all the fusion nonsense.....

Anyone else feel draw bias is a bit risky (no slicers need apply!!), anyone considering a Hyper X? anyone got an old 454 in 12 degrees??

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah I am considering the Hyper-X Dave.

To be honest I have no idea about swing weights, and with my mixed bag of clubs I doubt I'm matched up as is!

I'm off Monday as tomorrow is Superbowl night with a few mates and beers. So gonna take myself down to Strathclyde driving range to hit the L4V / Hyper-X / Cleveland XLS / G10 and anything else they have in stock and takes my eye.

Going to try regular shafts / stiff shafts / low lofts (9.5 down) / higher lofts (10.5up) and see if I can't finally find a driver I feel comfortable with.

If I do happen to find one I like I could be coming home with a new toy!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck h_h. you've certainly got a few in your sights!

the thing about swing weights is that in general a few clubs a little or under is not going to be noticeable. Most regular kit is between D0 and D4, probably nearer D2-D5 for players that use stiffer shafts. I must admit L4V and XLS hi-bore do look good. G10 is a no brainer also, very good club (although I'm not a ping devotee).

Since I play Callaway and it happens that all my kit is D0-D1, going to a D5 could be a bit weird.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Dave,

Cobra HS9 is fantastic mate. It is a long hitting and forgiving driver, looking at that and the L4V it would seem that the L4V is an evolution on from it.

HS9's can be found really cheap aswell, a good bet in my eyes.

If not the speed series in M Flex are fantastic also.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the hyper x looks more pleasent on the eye i don't know why the BB 460 has a white line that runs along the top of the face and the crown its very off putting

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
still think the `ft3` was their best yet..

You could be right......I just wish I hadn't chosen a draw bias one. I made the mistake (I believe) of getting "fitted" on a computer launch/angle/face before my swing had settled back to near the old me. On the testing, I rarely got it square (which is kind-of-ok for a in-out) except I'm getting it squarer now 4 months back in.

I'm tempted to find another driver and stick the Ft-3 on ebay. I suppose the simple test would be to take a few balls down to a quiet corner of the course and hit a few with the FT-3 and a few with my old Great Big Bertha which has no draw bias....and see what's what.

PS - i.i.r.c. h_h, you hit it a long way?....so a D5 swing weight could be ideal (stiffer shafts, heavier swing-weight).

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dave I can hit it a long way, but generally not in the direction I was aiming :) :)

You've actually gotten me very curious now so I am going to do a bit of investigation and see if I can not find out all my swing weights.

Actually meant to post a thanks to you Dave earlier but it slipped my mind until now.

I used one of your tips from a post about helping to ingrain an in to out swing and I have been making good progress. Now generally getting a nice draw with my irons / rescue & 3-wood. Bad shots now the pull hook :) but makes a change from a bad slice!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pull- hook and slice are the same swing fault

of course.....but at least it's a change of scenery down the left!!!

we all hit a few....the reason why I'm off the draw bias is it makes the odd pull much worse!!!

any road.....had a crack with my old GBB at the range....some hope of fading back in sight, actually didn't sruggle at all with the tiny 250cc head, hit some blinders!!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
..... So gonna take myself down to Strathclyde driving range to hit the L4V / Hyper-X / Cleveland XLS / G10 and anything else they have in stock and takes my eye.

Going to try regular shafts / stiff shafts / low lofts (9.5 down) / higher lofts (10.5up) and see if I can't finally find a driver I feel comfortable with.

If I do happen to find one I like I could be coming home with a new toy!

Hey, thats our local too. Where you from HH?

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont you think its more to do with face being 1 degree closed, trying out the ft3 just now, seem to get a better flight on the ball with the ft3 as to the ping g5

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes divot....could well be?! when I was in full flow (10 years ago), I went to see some guys with a "new tech" fitting machine. They tested my swing, had a few quiet words and then came back and asked if I had problems hitting it straight, to which I replied, "no, not often".

in reality, they were surprised that I was so regularly coming 3 or 4 degrees from the inside, 1 or 2 degrees open.

all that's history now, but the hook is my bad shot, and closed face or draw bias, I think I'm straighter with a neutral club.

I tried a macgregor nvg2 draw at the range, and nearly bought one. the very nice guys at snainton golf

http://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/product.php/1027/macgregor_nvg2_driver_460_draw

reckon I should steer away from any draw technology.....

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Up at the dunhill cup last year had a go on the explainer, pro knew right away my bad shot went left and thats even without hitting a ball.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Up at the dunhill cup last year had a go on the explainer, pro knew right away my bad shot went left and thats even without hitting a ball.

I'm desperate to have a go on one of these!!!

Did the pro see you set up to the ball or guess!!!