Wynyard Hall

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to hear that Paul. I played the new course at Ramside not long after it opened. Didn't enjoy it, haven't met anyone yet who does. It seemed a folly, building a very difficult course for competitions they were never going to win. It just wasn't going to appeal to its core users. If it's going back to its previous incarnation then that makes sense to me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Interesting to hear that Paul. I played the new course at Ramside not long after it opened. Didn't enjoy it, haven't met anyone yet who does. It seemed a folly, building a very difficult course for competitions they were never going to win. It just wasn't going to appeal to its core users. If it's going back to its previous incarnation then that makes sense to me.
Not sure members will be happy, although I don’t think the owners will be bothered.
The Spa reception is being rumoured as the location for the new Golf reception as well. (n)

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I was a member, my mate who was also a member at the time called about booking a tee time for two members. He was told nothing was available. He turned round and went watch this, rang the club back and asked if any tee times were available for four guests (£200 green fees). Got one straight away !! You couldn’t even make it up !!!
Give it time, most of the new course if not all of it will be housing soon enough.

Visit site
I was down at Wynyard Hall today for a work event and whilst there took the opportunity to have a look at the golf course. It looked handsome from what I could see.

Anyone played it? Is it worth the trip?

I'm a member at Wynyard, it's a good course and definitely a challenge. The condition of the course is very good, especially the greens, although they are now starting to do a bit of maintenance on them.

I prefer it to Rockcliffe, only played Hartlepool the once and wasn't fussed (although the gale we played in probably had a lot to do with that).

Eaglescliffe is a good knock with some nice holes around the river but it has a few holes where you cross over walking from one tee to the next which was a bit strange the first time I played there.

Give me a shout if you fancy a game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers, CIB. I've pretty much spent my golf budget, and time off, for this year, actually I'm way over :D, but I'll take you up on that in the spring (y).

I played Rockliffe last week, corporate day thankfully. The course was in great condition, it was a challenge, but it was a bit soulless. I looked around a few times and realised it is just a bit featureless. Now, that is a real 1st world problem / comment as it is a very fine set up but when you want to be an elite course everything matters. Just driving into Wynyard I liked the scenery, the set up. Club house was classy and the holes that I could see coming into the place and then wandering around ticked the boxes for me. Each to their own, as we discover frequently on this site, but it looked lovely.

I'll get in touch at a later point, we may meet up at a NE meet if one gets arranged in the meantime.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting to hear about Ramside. We went 2 years ago and played both courses - really didn't like the new course and like someone said the final 2 holes are terrible. Enjoyed most of the old course. We enjoyed the clubhouse and the food was decent but you could tell the main focus was the spa and the money that it generates.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a meet at Wynyard a few years ago, really enjoyed it despite me playing quite badly 🤭
I’d say Rockliffe is slightly a notch higher to be fair but I’d play both again at the drop of a hat.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ex-Wynyard member, before leaving the area. Summer golf, fantastic. Winter golf, can be boggy and they'll shut when its frosty. I liked the 10 min gaps for tee times, rarely having to wait on a tee. Front 9 very picturesque, through well established trees, and a bit more hilly. If you're thinking its too close to houses you're lousy off the tee - there's acres of room. Back 9 a bit more open, and you can give it bit more of a lash. Great closing few holes to finish a comp off when its squeaky bum time.

Is it balanced between the 9's? I used to say no until I'd played it a good few times. If you forget the trees its actually well balanced.

Eaglescliffe; apart from a few holes is a fab course, as is the underrated Hartlepool. It suffers under the shadow of Seaton but is well worth a knock. Seaton; the first few holes are a bit naff but 4 of the best closing holes anywhere on the summer(Brabazon) course. Not overly fussed when they're on the winter course.

Cleveland just goes from strength to strength, and is a great credit to the tremendous amount of work that's been going on for 6-7 years now.

Brancepeth Castle; it did nowt for me but the level of good reviews it gets suggests its me thats at fault, not the course.

Rockcliffe; it must have come on a lot in the last few years. I've played it a few times prior to that and wouldn't rush back.

For year round, value for money, golf; Cleveland. But I would say that after over 20 years there. For a top parkland course; Middlesbrough Brass Castle is head and shoulders above the rest. After that, I guess its splitting hairs and personal preference.