WW3 -All Russia / Ukraine stuff here please-

The Lion

Visit site
I’d hope so, this is a huge problem looming for all of Europe with multiple knock-on effects for everyone.

So yes mods, please allow discussion…

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought my thread title was better ??

BREAKING: Russia has said recognition of independence for areas in east Ukraine extends to territory now held by Ukrainian forces.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am currently setting up a clinical trial which includes sites (hospitals and clinics) in Russia and Ukraine. In trial planning, you always build in a contingency for any of the many things that can muck up plans, although annexation is not usually on the list of potential problems.

I suspect we may be abandoning some of the Ukrainian sites, at least those in Donetsk. I don't remember if there are any in Luhansk. We can't send staff into the area to monitor sites, and the hospitals may have other things on their minds.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is going to end up like an good old game of command and conquer red alert 2

Conscript reporting

Worrying times. Just what we need on the back of covid a lovely war ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder how long Russia have been considering this formal invasion? Last few months, or has it been years in the making?

If it has been years in the making, why now? Strategically, would it have made more sense when the rest of the world was in a panic in the height of the pandemic, rather than now when countries are a lot more stable and starting to return to more normality?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wonder how long Russia have been considering this formal invasion? Last few months, or has it been years in the making?

If it has been years in the making, why now? Strategically, would it have made more sense when the rest of the world was in a panic in the height of the pandemic, rather than now when countries are a lot more stable and starting to return to more normality?
I think it's got a lot to do with Russia's loss of influence in Europe and its leaders wanting to put out signals that they're still a power to be reckoned with.

Someone made a comment on the Forum recently that Russia will invade at the end of the Olympics. Seems like that was the case.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some might say their hasn't been war in Europe for X amount of years until a little country with ideas above their station decided to go it alone because they used to rule the waves

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This has been on the cards for years. Crimea was the start in 2014. Since then Donetsk and Luhansk have been volatile and "in play" for the next move. Russians make up around half or more of the population in these areas. I suspect Putin contemplated anexing these territories in 2014 but decided to play it "safe" and wait for the next oportunity. Since then Ukraine has restructured its sovereign debt and implemented many economic improvements in conjunction with IMF help. This has pushed the country's loyalty and outlook more towards the west and that has been a big finger to the grisly bear. I hope his hunger is satisfied by the latest moves and that he leaves the rest of the country alone - it will be a lot harder to justify further moves given the population mix in the rest of the country but a lot will depend on how the west behave - Nato membership for Ukraine is a big fat red line - but i don't think in reality that would ever happen anyway and would be daft for NATO to push this confrontational strategy that has been talked about for years. My best guess is that this is the end game for now in Russian ambitions but will be very volatile for several months. The sanctions announced today by UK and Europe are mild and are not going to cause Russia many issues. We have yet to see the US response but i suspect it will also be relatively calm - and nothing like what would transpire if he pushes more towards a full takeover

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a rather odd conclusion. Maybe you could point out your thinking on how that Nation had any influence on Russia's current situation.

The organisation left behind was more solid.

Weakened both small nation and the union by leaving. Causing unnecessary distractions for Russia to take advantage of the chaos.