Wrists? If I have them, should I use them.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK. I've been a little off form recently and generally been on bogey bonanzas around the course. A bit lacking in pars, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, one of my worries is lack of distance now the fairways are soggy etc.

I've been to practise two days in a row and am interspersing hitting the ball(s) with lots of wrists exercises. I've been doing lifting the club up one-handed from my side using just the wrist, and aggressively activating the wrists around the 9 o'clock position on the backswing a few times before hitting the ball for real. Lots of "L" to "L" drills and a few other things too.

Half way through yesterdays effort (and it is effort :)) I started to get a really crisp and fizzy action through the ball. I even hit some 150 yard 9 irons.

Is this stuff OK to do? Can you over-cock the wrists? Am I likely to mess something up big time?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
RGDave
I think if it helps with your left wrist position at the top of your backswing, then go for it.

rgd.jpg

Also, a balanced finish on your right toe at the end of the swing always helps :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob. I'm not sure how it looks at the top (I could video it at some point if I keep going). It feels "right" to me somehow though. The strike is much improved and the bad shots are lost right (push) as opposed to the horrible pull that has been crept back after some useful lessons and practice over the summer. Distance is up there, more noticeable with the short irons than woods.

Cheers. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's only one way to find out, but I doubt it unless you release the left hand grip.
Watch out for it in a shadow (if you get any sun)

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's only one way to find out, but I doubt it unless you release the left hand grip.
Watch out for it in a shadow (if you get any sun)

Get a grip Bob, he wants to check if he is overswinging before next May. :cool:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get a grip Bob, he wants to check if he is overswinging before next May. :cool:

Very clever! :)

I think the old mini DV camcorder might need a dust down.

I must admit, there were moments when I felt the left hand losing it's hold.

Results are good though.