Wrist hinge -- Angle 1/2 way up.

G

guest100718

How important is it to have that L shape at the point in which you left arm is parallel with the ground? Looking at my swing there is not a great deal of wrist hinge at all.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
imo it's not important but it is preferred to help 'set' the club on plane and eliminate the head going too far inside etc.
There are pro's who don't and probably more who do.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No idea if it's good or bad.

I do know however I do have this:

Screenshot_2015-02-25-15-35-41_zps8fvxisdt.png

To my way of thinking (.... Which is probably wrong) If you have this angle between club shaft and arms at this point then all you have to do is continue your shoulder turn to the top and the club will be set.

G

guest100718

No idea if it's good or bad.

I do know however I do have this:

Screenshot_2015-02-25-15-35-41_zps8fvxisdt.png

To my way of thinking (.... Which is probably wrong) If you have this angle between club shaft and arms at this point then all you have to do is continue your shoulder turn to the top and the club will be set.

On my swing at that point id say the angle is about 130 degrees or maybe even more! Although on the down swing there is certainly a re-setting of my wrists.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
First post in this thread is a really good explanation of the 'standard' positions - and how many players are 'non-standard'!
http://thesandtrap.com/t/53724/the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing

From memory, the_coach refers to these same positions, but with a slightly different numbering system (I think address is '0' as opposed to '1' in the link (and other references I've seen).

Indeed, Swingyde is a great tool for getting a good wrist-set, wherever it happens. And you'll be helping Aussie Pro Wade Ormsby's family too (not that they need a lot of help!)! :whistle:

Btw. If you were a Cricket player before taking up Golf, it's quite likely that setting the wrists early is 'un-natural'. Same applies on the downswing, which does make for a distinctive Driving style for ex-Cricketers!

Last edited:
G

guest100718

hmm do i go for the 20.99 version of the cheaper chi version......

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's important paddy. I've had a couple of lessons recently whereby the pro has got me trying to get that angle you describe and then just turning to the top. I struggle to keep my wrists quiet as my swing collapses at the top , my left arm bends and my left wrist 'cups' excessively . He also had me using that 'swingyde' aid
that Patrick describes above.

Here is Ernie with a training vid making it look way too easy

http://youtu.be/3YxrAE0pJe8

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
wrist set 'during' the backswing is real important to set the angles between both arms & the club.

have to set on the ways back to be able to retain the angles back down to impact for a number of reasons in how the club head arrives at strike for sound solid contact, as well as being an important 'lever' in the production of CHS so BS so distance.

if you have little or no wrist set & an issue is you find it not so easy to set the wrists.
check your hold on the club doesn't have the handle to 'high up' in the palm of the lead hand (left if RH) with the lead thumb very long & extended down the handle.
- either one of these or both make it real difficult to set the angles.

often times if this happens there a roll of the wrists & someways early disconnection between the arms & body turn which adversely affects the swing plane.

folks in general in good swing motions start to set the hand/wrists some where after the hands pass the trail thigh so 'around' hip height or around waist height.
if it's something you struggle with somewhere around this point think of both your thumbs pointing more up to the sky rather than behind you or away from target.

some 'rates' of set have the 'angle' at 90º or very near to when the left arm is first horizontal to the ground (& hopefully somewhere around parallel to the ball/target line) some 'rates' of set the 'angle' at this stage would be around 60º & the final 'set' happens further up in the backswing. with obviously slight variations of this, but either ways most would have the 'set' complete at the top. (a few increase that angle on the start down)
either is entirely workable, if either produce optimum ball contact & shot results.

but if it's not set at the top, & it's not then set on the start down. you have a pretty big power/speed leak in the swing motion plus you won't get real solid contact.
if there's no real angle on the ways down can lead to a bunch of miss contacts, fats, skulls etc. often times it affects the proper transference of weight through the swing.

swinggyde good tool to help the correct setting of the wrists/hands.
lead hand should set 'upwards' not roll or bend over, as the lead hand sets the bottom hand on the handle hinges/bends a little ways back on itself.

(the 'set' in lead wrist/hand is the action with the lead hand if you had a hammer in that hand & were tapping a nail into a panel at head height in front of you)

if this is an issue in the swing motion such that there's no real 'set' at all, then working to have the angle 'set' to near, or at 90º when the left arm is horizontal would be real useful.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So are you saying that it not absolutely important when it's done, as long as it is done? As per the later para that mentions 'rates'.

yep in a ways it's that 'goldilocks' situation, it's not absolutely important when it's done if in that particular swing motion wherever it is set & set good, impact is arrived at in a sound optimum condition - so optimum shot results.

my take & what I tend to work with folks on, is when the left arm is horizontal the 'angle' to be pretty close or at 90º.
reason being in my experience that tends to give the best opportunity for natural width connected to the body turn. & also helps guard against an over-swing & loss of right arm angle atop. so helps give a real good chance of not throwing those angles away on the way to impact.

but as ever if someone sets from the get-go they can have to much of a hands steep pick-up ways outside & narrow, arms more lifting not connected to the turn. so you'd look for them to keep the angle back of the left hand until hands past the right thigh, as you'd do with someone who 'rolls or bends' gets a ways inside straight off as they are not 'setting' the left hand.

conversely no set, arms club in a straight line so wrists/hands pretty immobile (maybes someone thinking they are working on width) the arms club get disconnected from the turn that ways. you'd look to get the 'set' starting more at the right leg.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
paddy, i'm no expert but have you tried a swingyde, i had no wrist hing at all 2 years ago.

Hailing from Yorkshire I bought one of those cheaper copies from Ebay a month or so ago. Cut an old club down to silly size and I have it clagged on just below the grip. I take her with me when I'm working away for those lonely nights in the hotel room :whoo:
Anyway, it certainly helps get the feeling of the correct wrist hinge at the top and retaining it during the downswing, if you're "off plane" the curved bit doesn't sit right so you know instantly if there's a fault.

G

guest100718

Excellent, thanks for all the responses. i'll do some tinkering...

G

guest100718

What problem with your direction or contact are you hoping this tinkering will fix?

Direction is pretty decent, There is certainly an increase in distance when I try a an earlier wrist set