Would you rather...(2)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm probably happier with saving a bogey from 10 feet.

3 putt bogey really does boil my blood and I would still be reeling on the next tee.

Staving off a double and keeping my round going would put a spring in my step.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you not think it might affect your mood on the next tee shot?
Relieved to hole the 10 footer and only dropped one shot
or
Angry to waste a birdie chance and end up dropping a shot

The puttings the one bit that works most of the time and I have a much stronger mental response to (its the one part i still trust my natural ability rather than constantly overthinking, tinkering etc), wish I could apply it to my driving and short game! Im far more likely to be worried about the last big hook I hit a few tees previously

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Do you not think it might affect your mood on the next tee shot?
Relieved to hole the 10 footer and only dropped one shot
or
Angry to waste a birdie chance and end up dropping a shot

Or alternatively, you stand on the next tee knowing your long game is letting you down and feel the pressure on the tee shot, trying to correct things going wrong midround

Largely irrelevant as the score is the same for me. Pushed I'd take the 3 putt though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on the length of the 3 putt for me.
3 putts from 50 feet isn't a disaster, 3 putts from 5 feet is.
Yeah this key for me and changes the whole shape of the question. If I'm just making the edge and three putting from miles away then I'm not worried about that at all, reasonably happy even. If you're middle of green and three putting then that's frustration that you potentially carry onto the next tee as others have said, so at least holing a decent putt for bogey is slightly preferable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a handicap golfer getting shots on most holes. A bogey could still be net par and so holing a putt for bogey has me in a far better mindset than three putting, assuming it was from a reasonable range

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
2 guys playing a short par 4 in matchplay.
They both hit nice tee shots leaving themselves 100 yards to the pin over a pond.
Bill wedges it on to 12 feet.
Ben wedges it on, hits the flagstick and bounces back in the water.
Ben drops another, wedges it on to 10 feet and holes it for a 5.
Bill 3 putts
Half in 5
Are they both happy?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on each individual's mindset. Disappointing but it happens, and at least neither lost the hole. For me its an oh well moment. Regroup and go to the next tee and start again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess I was trying to say, the answer to the question, if there is one, is probably 'it depends'
:)

Its also down to what went before. If the guy who's just almost fluked a half had lost the previous 4 holes he is probably chuffed to get a half and stop the rot. The guy who is 4 might think he'll get to 5 soon as he's playing well enough.

So many variables and so many answers.

D

Deleted member 21258

Would all depend I think.

If the 10ft for bogey was to walk away from the hole feeling like I dodged a double, than that. If the 3 putt was from 40 foot, then that.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id take the 3 putt as much as it rots me to do it..
Most of my game is right if im putting for birdie. . Should b tap in bogey not stresfull one
10ft for bogey is lucky and id know it .. id prob put a bit of temper into next drive tho

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 putt, no doubt about it.

My putting is the best part of my game thanks to the V-Easy. I will occasionally 3 putt but if my iron swing is on that I 3 putt for bogey sometimes then a good score is on the cards!