Would touching the flag result in a penalty? In competitions, of course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf leaves it to the Committee

"Golfers are required to leave the flagstick in the hole at all times and not to touch it. It is a matter for the Committee to decide whether it establishes this policy by way of a Code of Conduct or Local Rule, and whether it provides a penalty under the Code of Conduct or for a breach of the Local Rule."

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The allowable LR we have received from the county makes it a penalty breach.

On the Putting Green
1. The Flagstick
Players are required to leave the flagstick in the hole at all times and not to touch
it or remove it.
Local Rule - Flagstick
Players MUST NOT deliberately touch or remove the flagstick at anytime. If a
flagstick isn’t correctly centred it may be moved into place by some means other
than by touching with the hand, for example, using a putter head or elbow.
Penalty for breach of this local rule: General Penalty

I am not sure we will implement it as other comments on here query the the lack of defining deliberately.

I would like to see a simple rule. If the player putts with flagstick removed the player incurs the general penalty.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

On the Putting Green
1. The Flagstick
Players are required to leave the flagstick in the hole at all times and not to touch
it or remove it.
Local Rule - Flagstick
flagstick isn’t correctly centred it may be moved into place by some means other

I am not sure we will implement it as other comments on here query the the lack of defining deliberately.

I would like to see a simple rule. If the player putts with flagstick removed the player incurs the general penalty.
Another spanner - what happens if the preceding group has left the flagstick out of the hole, or, heaven forbid, the wind has blown the flagstick from the hole, and consequently the players putt with the flagstick not in the hole? And how does the flagstick get back into the hole - suspend play and wait for the green crew or committee member?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously common sense kicks in.
Just pick the stick up with your bag towel.
I'm not against leaving the flagstick in the hole during these times, but don't agree that there should be any penalties involved and I don't see an Exception in the allowable Local Rule which would exempt a player from penalty for deliberately touching it for any purpose. If nobody has touched the sanitized flagstick, why should there be a penalty involved. I doubt that the ruling body has authorized such a local Rule.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't agree that it's "carte blanche". The Committee is modifying the Rules of golf, specifically Rule 13.2, and applying penalties for actions permitted by the Rules.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't agree that it's "carte blanche". The Committee is modifying the Rules of golf, specifically Rule 13.2, and applying penalties for actions permitted by the Rules.
5H Code of Conduct Policy make no reference to the rules. There are no RoG relating to a Dress Codes but it is specifically included in 5H.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because dress codes are not regulated by the RoG. Nor is touching the flagstick. But the committee may legislate, with penalties, under their Code of Conduct. That is why it has been introduced.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

On the Putting Green
1. The Flagstick
it or remove it.
Local Rule - Flagstick

Interesting that you seem to be able to correctly position the flag using your putter, your head or your elbow but not your hand. Where's the sense in that :).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just had confirmation from the R&A authorising such a Code of Conduct in the current circumstances, on the grounds of health a safety.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that you seem to be able to correctly position the flag using your putter, your head or your elbow but not your hand. Where's the sense in that :).
Probably because you are significantly more likely to transmit and/or pick up any infection by contact with your hand.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ditto to rulefan's comments. It is why all clubs have the flagstick left in the hole with some sort of system so that you do not need to touch the flagtstick to retrieve the ball (or they should have).

Please remember greens staff still have to touch the flagstick when they move the hole and for their sake do not contaminate it.