Working around Newhaven- course recommendations

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Myself and my colleague are working down around Newhaven next week and fancy bringing our bats.
Any recommendations? I know Cooden Beach is just up the road but other than that I’m a loss.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Pray for warmer weather and a week of heavy wind, then play Seaford Head. The last 6 or so holes are superb, but the first lot are a bit average and can get a bit wet at this time of year. If you are lucky enough to get weather this week that will dry the place out, also pray that it's not windy when you play or you're in trouble :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could play a "Top 100" course. Piltdown. Lovely course, lots of heather. After 12.00 it's only £30 at this time of year.

East Brighton and Lewis are nice downland courses. Another (y) for Seaford (East Blatchington) as well.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
What’s the East Sussex National like this time of year? (West Course)
I played one of them (cant remember whether it was West or East) in early Novemeber a couple of years ago and I was surprised at how wet it was. Considering how much rain we had down here last week, I wouldn't want to play there myself at the moment.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would not put you off any of the above. One word of advise, spend as little time as you can in Newhaven!!!

Lewes is a lovely place to stay/drink/eat and Brighton not bad. Newhaven.......avoid!

TeeRev

Visit site
I don't know whether you've played yet but I'm from Seaford and play both courses most weeks.

We played the Head today and considering the recent weather the course is in excellent condition, there's been a lot of spiking on the fairways for drainage but all the greens bar the 13th are open and although a little slow compared with Blatch, (Seaford GC), are really good, we were teeing off on mats as I think they are keeping the tees for the weekends but even they are not too bad as quite a few new ones have been put in this year.

For a Municipal the greenkeepers do a great job, the course isn't busy, the weather is fine with no wind for the next few days and the views from the 14th and 18th tees are amazing so I would suggest you start there and if you have time go to Blatch for a bit more of a test afterwards.