Words

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dog licence
A colloquialism, originating in the UK, for the resounding matchplay winning margin of 7&6 (winning with six holes to spare). So called because a dog licence used to cost seven shillings and sixpence, seven and six, before decimalisation in 1971.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A "J Arthur"
A cockney rhyming slang phrase refering to a shank. (Yes, you are old if you remember J Arthur Rank as a film maker)

The fun is getting a totally blank look from any young player when you use such phrases. Although surprisingly most understand if you say you have hit one out of the screws when they have never used a wooden club.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A putt with a big break left to right I call a Tommy Sheridan , a big swinger.
Or a putt that's been hit too hard , I call an Elton John, a Rocket man. :love:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A "J Arthur"
A cockney rhyming slang phrase refering to a shank. (Yes, you are old if you remember J Arthur Rank as a film maker)

The fun is getting a totally blank look from any young player when you use such phrases. Although surprisingly most understand if you say you have hit one out of the screws when they have never used a wooden club.

Never heard that in terms for golf , but I know it means something else in terms of cockney slang ;)