Woosnam - the worst captain ever!

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
All the way through his captaincy, Woosnam has taken the easy option. picking Clarke and Westwood was a no brainer - it would have been far more brave to leave Clarke out.

Now we find out that he's pairing players from the same countries. Is this really the best way to harness team spirit?

Europe have got a very strong team but if we loose it will be because Woosnam lacks the insight and creativity to put together a decent team. I'm worried...

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure he's the worst captain ever but I agree he's hardly inspiring the confidence right now

If Lehman can get lucky with who his parings are drawn against we could be in for a very close match

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I think its dangerous to write Woosie off ...the lockeroom is said to be his speciality...oh dear it sounds like I am clutching at staws and not even convincing myself! Here's hoping the Welshman proves us all wrong!

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Did you see his press conference when he announced the picks - he could hardly string two words together! He may have been a great golfer but surely you need a brain to lead a Ryder Cup team. He'll be Hal Sutton to Tom Lehman's Bernhard Langer

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I agree that we should hang fire on criticising Woosie for now - granted he's not the most media savvy guy out there but he never pretends to be anything other than a bloke's bloke. His strength will undoubtedly be in motivating the team, surely one of the most important thing any skipper can do.

That said one caveat is his pairings - Ollie and Sergio and not thought to best buddies so it seems odd to pair them together particualrly when thye could do a top job with other players. i'd liek to see Ollie with Stenson. Good combo of length and mercurial iron play plus both of them have awesome short games.

lets wait and see what comes out of the hat on Thursday