Wooler GC

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Up in the area next with family and if I can squeeze the club's in the car have a pass for a round. Anybody know what Wooler is like?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Feral, they eat their young up there :oops:.

In all honesty, I have never heard anyone talk about the club, I did not know there was one there. That will say a great deal about it considering it is in the same county as I live in. As an alternative, bearing in mind the roads there are not great if not A roads, I would suggest The Hirsel at Coldstream, Rothbury GC. If you want to do a links course then go across and play Seahouses, or down a bit to Dunstanburgh Castle (Embleton on the map). I'd say Bamburgh but don't pay more than £30 for it.

I'm assuming you don't want to be driving too far, my suggestions should all be within a 20-30 min drive at most, so The Hirsel and Rothbury are the simplest, The Hirsel is the nicest one. All of the courses mentioned, exception on Bamburgh, should be relatively inexpensive via a booking site.

Are you staying in Wooler? Is the Whiskey centre open yet? If you go, let me know if it is worth a visit.

Fire back with any questions.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Up in the area next with family and if I can squeeze the club's in the car have a pass for a round. Anybody know what Wooler is like?

I always get the clubs in first, then pile everything else on top so she can't see them.

I have been to the area on holiday previously and if Rothbury is local to where you are it is well worth a visit, nothing spectacular, its ok, I actually booked on with my phone in the car park while putting on my shoes, due to the weather being a bit dodgy.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

In all honesty, I have never heard anyone talk about the club, I did not know there was one there. That will say a great deal about it considering it is in the same county as I live in. As an alternative, bearing in mind the roads there are not great if not A roads, I would suggest The Hirsel at Coldstream, Rothbury GC. If you want to do a links course then go across and play Seahouses, or down a bit to Dunstanburgh Castle (Embleton on the map). I'd say Bamburgh but don't pay more than £30 for it.

I'm assuming you don't want to be driving too far, my suggestions should all be within a 20-30 min drive at most, so The Hirsel and Rothbury are the simplest, The Hirsel is the nicest one. All of the courses mentioned, exception on Bamburgh, should be relatively inexpensive via a booking site.

Are you staying in Wooler? Is the Whiskey centre open yet? If you go, let me know if it is worth a visit.

Foxton Hall isn't that far and can be had for £25 after 3pm, it's a lovely course.

I've never played The Hirsel, but Golfnow have got it for the absolutely insane price of £5.25 after 4pm next week!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Foxton Hall isn't that far and can be had for £25 after 3pm, it's a lovely course.

I've never played The Hirsel, but Golfnow have got it for the absolutely insane price of £5.25 after 4pm next week!

Could you get 18 in at that time? The Hirsel is a lovely parkland course, well worth a visit. It is not a top 100 course, neither does it charge top 100 prices, but I'd happily put it in the next category of clubs.

I didn't mention Foxton simply because I didn't know how far @Marshy77 wanted to travel, be away etc. Wooler to Alnmouth looks small on a map but it isn't the greatest in terms of roads connecting them. If he is happy to go a bit further then I agree, Foxton should go in the mix.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Could you get 18 in at that time? The Hirsel is a lovely parkland course, well worth a visit. It is not a top 100 course, neither does it charge top 100 prices, but I'd happily put it in the next category of clubs.

Sunset next Monday is 20.20, so plenty time to get 18 in.

£5.25 must be the lowest price I've ever seen for a game of golf.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I was last up there between lock down's in 2020 for a long weekend after a golfing break fell through, we stayed in Rothbury and I just kept to the local courses, Rothbury (twighlight), Linden Hall and Bergham Park, some wonderful courses in the area but they were a little further afield.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It really is not a £5.25 course, that is bonkers. Well worth a trip at some point, even if paying closer to the normal green fee.

just had a look at tomorrow, it's £6.25 a head all day if there are 4 of you, and the Hot Deal is £6 regardless how many of you there are, so perfect for a solitary golfer. 9.10 and 12.00 available for that price. It would be worth the OP checking the day before he wants to play to see if they are doing the same then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
just had a look at tomorrow, it's £6.25 a head all day if there are 4 of you, and the Hot Deal is £6 regardless how many of you there are, so perfect for a solitary golfer. 9.10 and 12.00 available for that price. It would be worth the OP checking the day before he wants to play to see if they are doing the same then.
Unless it is flooded or they are on 18 temporary green that is crazy. Definitely the one to go for.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. We're staying in Wooler so that was the reasoning behind the course. We haven't played since late last year so just playing a round will be good enough/embarrassing!! I look at mileage between the suggestions.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back. Didn't end up playing in the end. Tested positive so I went up 3 days into the holiday and we were too busy really to even squeeze a round in. Gorgeous weather too!

The whiskey centre isn't open yet. It's going to be huge!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

i hated the hirsel when i played it .... was in the rain at the end of a heavy drinking 4 day golf trip mind