Women pay the same, but aren't allowed Saturday Morning Tee Times....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That sounds stupid and asking for trouble - the trouble they now have. Despite - I think - it not being against the law as it's a private club after all - though as it's a mixed-sex club and if ladies pay the same fees then it might well then be discriminatory;. Now if it was a public or pay-and-play club then the legal situation might well be different.

In any case - unnecessary and stupid thing for the membership to do and the least the committee/board should have done was put a high % threshold of the total membership for the motion to be passed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

A lot of clubs have men only comps on a Saturday (and some have women only comps on a Sunday for a few tee times), and some clubs will take all the daylight tee times as well for just the comp.

Therefore meaning women or social golfers become 6 day members, this stopped me/Joanne joining a club recently for this problem.

Yeah fairly common sadly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot of clubs have men only comps on a Saturday (and some have women only comps on a Sunday for a few tee times), and some clubs will take all the daylight tee times as well for just the comp.

Therefore meaning women or social golfers become 6 day members, this stopped me/Joanne joining a club recently for this problem.

Yeah fairly common sadly.

Indeed. In actual fact at my club there is a gents stableford competition running every Saturday and Sunday other than when there is a gents medal or other gents competition with a starting sheet. The Sat ad Sunday stablefords do not have a starting sheet. The tee is not booked for the comp. You just enter if you wish - and in fact most who play in our big Sat am roll-up tend not

Actually I think that ladies can book a tee slot in the monthly Sat medal to play in their monthly medal. So no restrictions really whatsoever unless the comp is specifically and necessarily a gents comp.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At our club, the course is closed to all members not playing in a medal on the competition day. Be that male or female. Ladies can play their medal in the same period but generally prefer to play with other ladies in the medal (understandably so), so the club has arranged specific times (as agreed with the ladies) for their tee times on the medal day. It was seen as the best compromise so as not to be discriminatory and satisfied all parties.
Otherwise, we no longer have a Lady members category. You are either just an Ordinary or Associate member with the same playing rights irrespective of gender.

D

Deleted member 21258

Indeed. In actual fact at my club there is a gents stableford competition running every Saturday and Sunday other than when there is a gents medal or other gents competition with a starting sheet. The Sat ad Sunday stablefords do not have a starting sheet. The tee is not booked for the comp. You just enter if you wish - and in fact most who play in our big Sat am roll-up tend not

Actually I think that ladies can book a tee slot in the monthly Sat medal to play in their monthly medal. So no restrictions really whatsoever unless the comp is specifically and necessarily a gents comp.

The club we ended up joining runs comps at the weekend and operates very similar to yours.

Anyone can book a tee time at the weekend and if you wish to enter the comp(if one is running, most are not mixed tho) you pay/enter before you tee off or you are playing social golf. Everyone should be treated equally and people should have the choice if they play the comp or not etc.

This is perfect for us, as we are a family and tend not to play in comps, so was well happy with the new club as all members are basically treated equally.:thup:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Current issue at ours as ladies have to wait until the last entry in the male comp has teed off; ladies officially off at midday on Saturday. However, sometimes there are gaps, especially around 11am and the ladies could go out - but there is a possibility some of the later starters could turn up and find the ladies in front of them (all tee times are set for the season). This has caused problems already, with the big chiefs telling the ladies they must wait to midday, with the ladies clearly upset as they could be away (easily) an hour earlier.

I would much prefer each and every week to be booked by the players intending to play - therefore, no issue with no-shows and the gaps appearing.

D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-club-BAN-women-playing-Saturday-morning.html

Hopefully the link works.

£860 a year, but not allowed to play on Saturday.

Any other clubs like this?

I think what also happens at clubs is the ladies during the week have a day every single week set out for their comps when men are not allowed to play

Our course it’s a Tuesday . Recently I changed the weekend comps to allow it to be open to everyone but the ladies wouldn’t allow men to play theirs

So now and I suspect it’s relevent at a lot of clubs ladies can play 7 days a week where as men is 6

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Women can go out after most the men at weekends. They have kicked up a fuss in the past. They where granted tee times from 9.30am but then complained that men play too fast. So back they are at around 12.30.
Some of our single digit lady handicappers go out with the men as they don’t hold up play as much as the old dears do. But the ladies get bitchy if they all don’t play together.
They do get ladies comps tuesdays and Thursdays as well as Saturdays and sundays. So more comps than men.

Our ladies are very slow, bar a few.

DCB

Visit site
Oh dear, I really thought this had died out long since. Obviously a safe haven for dinosaurs down there 😠

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh dear, I really thought this had died out long since. Obviously a safe haven for dinosaurs down there 😠

A little OTT.

The underlying issue is change; as Phil has posted clearly.

There are many clubs where the ladies are the ones who wish to maintain the status quo...until a couple of new ladies join and wish to challenge it. Whilst this seems on the face of it to be reasonable the knock on effect can seem even more unreasonable!

Don't get me wrong, my starting point is that anyone should have pretty much equal access to the course but the reality of such equality is logically proportional representation. As such most courses have had a pretty reasonable basis for the last decade or so. The impossible challenge is constantly changing membership dynamics.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My place has an appropriate block booking for the ladies comp on a Saturday morning, I think 9-10.30. Anyone can book after that.

On a Sunday morning the men's comp is booked 8-11, anyone can book after that, including any men in the comp who want to play later in the day.

Our membership is not big, as the above will confirm. There are clubs up here though where the membership is significant and a comp on Saturday could easily fill the day and will be the case every Saturday in the season. Is that sexist or just a very large and competition active male membership?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Smallest in numbers but yet make the most noise. Women at our place refuse to play in 4s and are unquestionably the slowest people on the course, they hit the ball about 70 yards max, it is utterly painful to be behind them.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smallest in numbers but yet make the most noise. Women at our place refuse to play in 4s and are unquestionably the slowest people on the course, they hit the ball about 70 yards max, it is utterly painful to be behind them.

Can someone remind me how to find the ignore function?

DCB

Visit site
A little OTT.

The underlying issue is change; as Phil has posted clearly.

There are many clubs where the ladies are the ones who wish to maintain the status quo...until a couple of new ladies join and wish to challenge it. Whilst this seems on the face of it to be reasonable the knock on effect can seem even more unreasonable!

Don't get me wrong, my starting point is that anyone should have pretty much equal access to the course but the reality of such equality is logically proportional representation. As such most courses have had a pretty reasonable basis for the last decade or so. The impossible challenge is constantly changing membership dynamics.

If both male & female members are classed as Odinary members, paying the same membership fee, it shouldn't be an issue. Granted, there are some ladies who are happy to stick with some form of restricted membership, however, new members should be offered Ordinary membership and all the benefits that brings. It takes time to change attitudes, but, it is 2018 we should be open to change on this front if we want our sport to continue.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time ladies cannot play at our course is when there is a men's Trophy comp on or on Seniors Competition morning (once a fortnight).

The ladies still have a ladies day (they would not want it any other way as they play comps most weeks) but it is priority only, however if the ladies are playing in two balls the men must play in two balls, if the ladies are playing in 3 balls the men must play in 3 balls and the same in 4 balls.

All members pay the same fees for the same class of membership except for a very few who still have 'special case' membership which is no longer offered to new members.

D

Deleted member 15344

If both male & female members are classed as Odinary members, paying the same membership fee, it shouldn't be an issue. Granted, there are some ladies who are happy to stick with some form of restricted membership, however, new members should be offered Ordinary membership and all the benefits that brings. It takes time to change attitudes, but, it is 2018 we should be open to change on this front if we want our sport to continue.

In my experience the ones who aren’t open to change are the ladies members who don’t wish as a section to play with men - they refused flat to allow men to enter their medals and Stablefords.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can someone remind me how to find the ignore function?

No sure what this has to do with the topic but I like MOST of the male membership at our club feel the same way.

There is an old Chinese proverb, just because you may be offended, doesn't mean you're right.