Wirral Golf

vaseand

Visit site
Just moved to the Wirral (heswall area) and wondered if anyone had recommendations on where I should be looking to play, private club or munis?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wallasey
Royal Liverpool
Wait and go for Jack Nicklaus's new one - could be some wait.
Caldy
Heswall

Bromborough/Prenton and much of a muchness after that unless you travel a bit and go for Delamere or Sandiway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm up there at the moment. The in-laws live a 9 iron from the front gate of Bromborough....
Played it a couple of years back and it was ok, a bit bland in places but some nice holes.
Aircraft noise if the wind is in a certain direction can be annoying but we have that at the Zoo and you get used to it.
Have walked along Heswall and that looks ok, same with Caldy.
Best I can do but a non locals view might be of use....

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wallasey
Royal Liverpool
Caldy
Heswall

Bromborough/Prenton and much of a muchness after that unless you travel a bit and go for Delamere or Sandiway.

LB has hit the nail on the head here.... only other I would consider in terms of good value for money and a decent members club is Leesowe.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I lived in the area I’d love to play my golf at Caldy.
A really enjoyable varied course with stunning views , great practice facilities, V nice clubhouse.
No mention of membership details on the website though, Possibly difficult getting in..

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I lived in the area I’d love to play my golf at Caldy.
A really enjoyable varied course with stunning views , great practice facilities, V nice clubhouse.
No mention of membership details on the website though, Possibly difficult getting in..

I agree with this. Heswall is also a club I could happily be a member at.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
I live in Pensby which is not too far from you and currently a member at Leasowe, if i could afford it i would definitely join Wallasey as you will get year round golf, i have only played Heswall a couple of times but I'm led to believe that some of the holes can get quite boggy during the winter.
Calday is very similar to Heswall so the other option is Royal Liverpool which is quite hard to get in as you have to be nominated by 2 members, if you fancy a game at any time give me a shout and you can come down to Leasowe.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Wallasey
Royal Liverpool
Caldy
Heswall

Reading Tom Coyne’s book (a Course called Scotland) and he said that Royal Liverpool wouldn’t allow him to play.

Their response to him was along the lines of, it won’t benefit us enough to let you play. He ended up playing with a member.

While he may have been looking for a freebie, given the likely budget of his trip and that he certainly paid on at other courses, it sounded like they weren’t exactly the most welcoming club in an otherwise hospitable area.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What was his premise?

If a golf journalist, or previously published author can understand asking for a freebie. If he's not, I admire his pluck.:)

The Lion

Visit site
Just seen this older thread. Would anyone know much about Hoylake JF and subs please? Even if the info is old, it would help...

Thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen this older thread. Would anyone know much about Hoylake JF and subs please? Even if the info is old, it would help...

Thanks
Do you mean the municipal? Don't even think about it. It was used as a car park during the last Open. Dreadful condition now. Rumoured to be closing.

The Lion

Visit site
Do you mean the municipal? Don't even think about it. It was used as a car park during the last Open. Dreadful condition now. Rumoured to be closing.

Ah no, I meant the one over the road, if you know anything...

As for the muni, I don’t think it’s closing. That was last year’s plan. It may be it gets redeveloped as part of the proposed development with that new Nicklaus course which was in the pipeline, however that’s in doubt due to the council pulling funding, plus the pandemic may finish it off...