Winter weather management (by courses)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing tomorrow at a very nice course in Barnet. Hadley wood. One of my favourites to play.

However they are very strict on how they manage the winter conditions (and it really does help protect the course)

they delay tee offs for fog and frost.. so most likely tomorrow all tee times will be pushed back until 10:00.

Our tee off is 12:00, I called today to ask if we get pushed back what happens (obviously light becomes a factor) they said in case of fog / frost delay they go to a 3 tee system for starts and our tee off time wont change that much

also buggies banned (rightly) and trolleys ok as long as they have hedgehog wheels (excellent I purchased hedgehogs for my motocaddy 2 years ago and put them on october - feb)

anyone elses courses have good or bad management of weather?

my old course was a big of a free for all.. buggies allowed basically all year round unless it pee'd down on Biblical levels. and no frost delays

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We use hedgehogs - not sure or convinced it makes a difference but that's another debate.
Hardly ever have temps and frost or ice don't delay anything.
Fog delays are determined by "natural selection" - you can play if you want but don't be surprised if you end up dead/unconscious/in hospital (delete as appropriate)

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
We very rarely have buggy or trolley bans (never on one of the courses) if the courses are open. We have frost holes at the front of all of the greens, if there are more than three consecutive days of frost then we go onto temporary greens which are mostly on the aprons approaching the greens. Our temporary greens all have normal sized holes, bucket holes were removed a few years ago.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't ban trolleys or buggies, although I wish we did ban buggies as one of our holes is often close in winter purely due to it being dangerous for buggies to access it. Our greenkeeper is keen on everyone with trolleys using hedgehog wheels though.

We also play of mats in the winter months and go on temp greens when there is a frost.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ours, buggies are prohibited at the discretion of the Pro & the Course Manager (ie the head greenkeeper). We've just stopped them. Trollies may be prohibited at the discretion of Course Manager but is rare. Course not closed for frost, nor do we have temps for frost. Temps only brought in if greens get too wet/soft. Course is closed for fog if you cant see the flag on first green from the first tee (a 230yd par 3)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We go to temps in the frost but have done away with hedgehogs over the last two years. That said I'm playing Milford tomorrow (thank you to my doctors for the green light) and they are on hedgehogs and fog forecast tonight so no idea if we're get off on time

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We go to temps in the frost but have done away with hedgehogs over the last two years. That said I'm playing Milford tomorrow (thank you to my doctors for the green light) and they are on hedgehogs and fog forecast tonight so no idea if we're get off on time

Im glad that my friend booked a 12:00 tee allows for the fog and frost to clear nicely

In the winter I have taken to bringing my motocaddy with hedgehogs (from october - feb ish just incase a course wants me to use hedgehogs) I have a push trolley as a couple courses I know ban electrics or if they didnt want hedgehogs.. and my bag is a carry bag in the winter so ready for most situations

failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that jazz

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At our place i would estimate that temps have been on about 70% of the time over the last 2 months. Trollies and buggies have also been banned for the majority of the time, although you can use a trolley if you have a doctor's certificate. This gets abused / ignored as far as I can see - most groups on the course seem to have at least a couple of guys pushing trolleys.

We also have fairway protection in place from Nov - March, lines are painted on the edge of the fairways and you have to move your ball to the side if you land in between the lines.

All seems a bit draconian to me - the course can get a bit wet from time to time, but no worse than other places I have played locally which do not have the same restrictions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have called up this morning as requested been asked to call back at 10:00 as today is a frost and fog delay so double whammy.

Confirmed electric trolleys are fine just with hedgehogs (check)

For once Im not overly fussed how much of a round we get in, its a free 4 ball won as a prize and my plantar faciistis has been playing up since I got new slippers for xmas.. so a cheeky 9 might be the best option lol

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interestingly our club has gone the other way on winter conditions

We now play on full greens all year even if frozen solid - used to be temps. We also play on main tees - used to be mats. Buggies are banned when wet but normal trollies allowed regardless of wheels. Most of the greens are roped to encourage people to go around but other than that the philosophy is the couse is open in the condition it is and if you want to play -go ahead.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The game was fogged off in the end.. we called at 10:30 play hadnt started so we called it off as it was 30 miles from all of us.. they agreed to extend the voucher (expired tomorrow)

not a total loss of a day went to the range (just installed protrace) did about 20 shots on launch monitor system then set it up for a simulation 18 holes.. it crashed on the 12th (shame) so reset and did 18 again.. got to 18th run out of balls but not too bad

will defo use that again

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We should have been fogged off but as a society playing a Crown Golf course I'm not surprised. Very muddy and not in great condition (despite my 38 points). Would like to try it again in drier, clearer conditions

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Greens open even if frozen solid.
Front of greens roped off to guide trolleys away.
Mats on all Par 3's, although the mats are quite good.
A couple of winter tees although they are as good as the summer boxes to be honest, just in a different spot.
Course closed if you can't see the marker post down the first fairway.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We play on full greens all year even if frozen solid. As most of the local Clubs close or heavy restrict we attract a lot of trade from them so the course is heavily used. Always have done & the greens have been the best ever. With over £4M invested in recent years to support the belief that if the course & greens are kept healthy, then they will quickly recover from frost damage etc & there is no doubt that it is working. We also play on main tees. Buggies are restricted to buggy paths but normal trollies allowed with hedgehogs. A few areas are roped to encourage people to go around but other than that the couse is open in the condition it is and if you want to play -go ahead.