Winter v Summer

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
My old course had 9 moorland holes, 9 parkland holes. The moorland 9 was much easier in the winter. Shorter off the mats, winter rules, and no ferns in the winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did say generally speaking most course Homer, that does mean there will be some exceptions to that rule such as yours.

Plus you mention winning score is 37 points which is still an under handicap score,.

Off the whites that would only be playing to handicap where I play and off the yellows 2 worse than handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That is the major aspect that makes my golf worse in winter. I have always been a better putter on faster greens because I tend to 'stroke' the ball rather than hit it.
me too, my point was if the greens are slow and break less, levels the playing field with those who may struggle when they are quick and break much more

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things that makes winter golfer easier is lift clean and place on the closely mown grass.

One of the things that makes it harder generally at this time of the year is the 'mud balls' if you finish off the closely mown.

D

Deleted member 3432

Fairways play miles wider off the tee in winter due to lack of run.

Certainly the scores at my place are better in winter as the course plays easier, lack of fast running fairways cancelled out by softer greens and fringes making it easier to control the ball at the business end of the hole. Even downwind you can fly it all the to the green.

Recognise that soft and muddy ground conditions is not a factor like so many parkland courses. Having been a member of a parkland for many years I just did not bother playing at this time of year. Weather up here is wet as usual and several courses are currently shut or down to 9 holes.

Not that it matters today, 40 mph wind and heavy rain so not many likely to be out on the links anyway.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played on a parkland course at the weekend and forgot how unforgiving at this time of year, that strike is on anything that is a slightly heavy strike and the ball goes nowhere, whereas on dry fairyway you don't appear to notice overly, a common mishit for me, so really noticed it.

Many other differences, but a lot are give and take.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Speaking to a member of Southerness back in August having abandoned our round after five holes (rain and gale)...and asking what it's like in Winter...his reply...the same - just not so windy...:)

D

Deleted member 3432

Speaking to a member of Southerness back in August having abandoned our round after five holes (rain and gale)...and asking what it's like in Winter...his reply...the same - just not so windy...:)

Needs to be frosty for the wind to drop.

Weather is exactly the same on my side of the Solway and all we seem to be getting is wind and rain :(

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Significantly easier in winter which is generally reflected in the scoring - yellow tees so shorter (ball still runs well) with easier angles, much less rough, softer fairways that are easier to hold, softer and slower greens, placing...etc

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I share some of this. We play the same length course so its currently playing as long as it can. The rough is thick and heavy and so finding a ball and then advancing it is a problem. The sand in the bunkers is wet and heavy. On the plus side our greens are holding up well and still putting around 9 on the stimp and pretty true. Definitely not an easy proposition and I far prefer summer golf especially with some warm sun on my back
Sounds like a bit of a slog old boy, wouldn't it be more fun from the yellows?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like a bit of a slog old boy, wouldn't it be more fun from the yellows?
Arguably so but our Saturday roll up always play off the whites and most wouldn't dream of changing. The Sunday roll up are more flexible. I'm not saying playing off the whites isn't fun and I enjoy the challenge and anything around buffer or better I consider a good day out this time of year. It's as hard as it gets and I just like trying to test myself.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Significantly easier in winter which is generally reflected in the scoring - yellow tees so shorter (ball still runs well) with easier angles, much less rough, softer fairways that are easier to hold, softer and slower greens, placing...etc
If the ball is still running well, what's the rationale behind a shorter course...?

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Is there any real difference winter v summer unless you play in really bad conditions. I find generally speaking as long as its a dry day the course is no harder to play. If anything it makes approach play easier.

The ball doesn't fly as far due to the air pressure but most places have forward tees which normally makes up for that fact and softer greens means can be more aggressive.

I guess it's horses for course so to speak but, generally speaking play very much your own game as normal with a bit extra club and you should be near enough around handicap more often than not

Perhaps the courses I play in my area are inferior to yours. My own club doesn't have forward tees, and in fact our green keepers just moved all the tee markers back about 20 feet. Most of the people I play golf with believe they play at least 6 shots over their norm at this time of year. Of course, this will depend on the course you play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Perhaps the courses I play in my area are inferior to yours. My own club doesn't have forward tees, and in fact our green keepers just moved all the tee markers back about 20 feet. Most of the people I play golf with believe they play at least 6 shots over their norm at this time of year. Of course, this will depend on the course you play
This. You simply have the choice to play yellow or white. Our whites are not resolved for competition play only although they do tend to move the markers forward of the back plates. The green staff are fantastic at moving the markers about regularly so no tee yellow or white gets compacted or over used

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I much prefer summer golf and find it easier. The main positive is the extra roll and ball flight, I'd rather be hitting 7 iron into a green than 5 iron every time.

Chipping out of mud in the winter is no fun at all, in summer you get some forgiveness with the bounce of the club, in winter it just digs in and you get nothing. The tees never seem to be vastly shorter where I play, maybe 10 yards here and there which isn't enough to make a huge difference. And no I don't think the rough is any shorter either. Same length, but wet and muddy making it even harder.

The ONLY positive about winter golf for me is pick and place on the fairway meaning you can tee it up a bit on a nice bit of grass. The negatives outweigh the positives I think.

D

Deleted member 17920

Where do you play? I presume it’s a links course if the markers are going that far back.