Winter Distances

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to the driving range this afternoon and was hitting the ball quite well, nice slight fade, but the Toptracer figures were around 15 yards shorter than my normal distance for each (done with Flightscope on the same range, so the balls are consistent).

The flightscope distances were done earlier in the year (May), so I was wondering if the temperature difference could account for such a discrepancy, or is Toptracer unreliable for distance. How much yardage do you lose when it’s cold? Would like to use Toptracer to keep on top of my gapping/distances rather than having to pay for a gapping session

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, They drop off. There is a formula about it somewhere, and every winter there is similar threads about it! Hit one more club and you should be there or thereabouts

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Went to the driving range this afternoon and was hitting the ball quite well, nice slight fade, but the Toptracer figures were around 15 yards shorter than my normal distance for each (done with Flightscope on the same range, so the balls are consistent).

The flightscope distances were done earlier in the year (May), so I was wondering if the temperature difference could account for such a discrepancy, or is Toptracer unreliable for distance. How much yardage do you lose when it’s cold? Would like to use Toptracer to keep on top of my gapping/distances rather than having to pay for a gapping session
When next there check if "normalisation" or similar is showing. It's on at the one I've been to and thought it was pretty good.
The temps do make a difference, also this time of year for me total distance equals carry pretty much.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could be the monitor as IainP above but could also be the quality of the range balls. I do think they are easily affected by temperature dips and noticed it as it got dark during my last lesson. Suddenly seemed to lose distance compared to earlier shots of similar quality of strike. I tend not to rely too much on ranges for accurate distances and simply work on strike, and shaping shots

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anywhere between 1 and 3 clubs depending on how many layers I am wearing and how cold it is.

Currently it is one club

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Not only is the ball colder but I find being colder myself and wearing extra layers hinders my ability to swing the club with as much freedom so I'm sure that accounts for almost as much as the drop off in distances.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally i don't know about the topgolf range balls, but a Prov loses a certain yard for every deg below its pref operating temp.

i find in winter i was sometimes losing 20 yards, the ball doesn't fly as much in Denser cold air , not to forget your swing might be inhibited with extra layers.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anybody have a rule of thumb for distance loss. I've seen articles from the US that say it's x yards for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit below 80, but would like it in proper degrees (Celsius). Say if I have a gapping session at 20 degrees C, how much distance do you lose if it's, for example, 15 degrees, 10 degrees, etc.?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anybody have a rule of thumb for distance loss. I've seen articles from the US that say it's x yards for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit below 80, but would like it in proper degrees (Celsius). Say if I have a gapping session at 20 degrees C, how much distance do you lose if it's, for example, 15 degrees, 10 degrees, etc.?

You have to be careful to look at the age of any chart/info. The original ones were based upon wound Balata golf balls eg Titleist Tour which were 90/100 compression. Modern balls may well be different. Some say switching to a low compression ball helps (modern balls go as low as 40 compression).

User20204

Visit site
I've found at least a club more is required, I also seem to lose a few yards using a mat as I'm usually very steep with my AoA

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
100% on winter distance loss. I can normally get up at our par5 18th in 2. Even off a forward tee I can’t reach the bloody thing in 2 in winter.
I play for about 15yrds off summer distance on short to mid irons, but play 20yrds on longer clubs.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it drops off.
But you can mitigate it a bit.
I use body warmers to keep my core warm and they allow freedom of my arms.
Thermals under light weight trousers don’t restrict too much.
I would also argue that a lower compression ball helps because it will probably get to a similar level of compression that a higher one in summer gets to. But you will always lose distance

Swango1980

Visit site
My distances in winter (cold conditions) are consistently 85-90% from 60 degree wedge to driver. I was a little surprised, as I thought it would be worse for longer clubs due to lack of roll, although to be fair, I don't get much roll anyway. So, with driver I'd be losing about 25-40 yards on average, pitching wedge 15-20 yards

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
My distances in winter (cold conditions) are consistently 85-90% from 60 degree wedge to driver. I was a little surprised, as I thought it would be worse for longer clubs due to lack of roll, although to be fair, I don't get much roll anyway. So, with driver I'd be losing about 25-40 yards on average, pitching wedge 15-20 yards
That's more like my drop in distances over this period I'm clubbing down 2 clubs in some situations and still coming up short, driving is around 200y from 230/40y average