Winter clothing

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never liked the base layers, I just hate wearing any clothing that feels tight no matter how much it stretches.

My gillets come from Edinburgh Woollen Mill inner layer is a very slippery padded quilt type finish and the outer layer is fleece absolutely toastie and wind proof and I have one Sunice which is slightly lighter weight actually a jacket with removable arms. It is has the advantage of being waterproof as well.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty cold this morning so I simply layered up with base layer, round neck jumper and a lined windproof jumper. Decent hat and mittens and jobs a good 'un
That’s a strong look homer. I didn’t know that a roll neck & jumper combo were still ok? I thought rick Astley had retired them in 1988? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s a strong look homer. I didn’t know that a roll neck & jumper combo were still ok? I thought rick Astley had retired them in 1988? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

😂 😂 😂 🤣🤣😂😂😂

D

Deleted Member 1156

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...d-Jacket-Pewter-Surf-Light-Grey.html#SID=8950

ProQuip ones are very good

They have the Gillet body to keep you warm and the arms are like under layers - really good , keep you warm but don’t restrict

Or

https://www.function18.com/footjoy-golf-fj-fleece-quilted-jacket-95035-navy.html

The FJ ones are nice

Sunderland and Sunice are two other makes that do very good jackets
Dunnes stores (Ireland) do these quilted jackets with the stretchy sleeves for 20 euros and will ship to the UK. Perfect for chilly days on the course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As Pathetic Shark will testify, my fashion has always been somewhat behind the times but if I'm warm on the course and have freedom to swing I don't really care.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not about hiding in a hole it’s about freedom of your body when doing sport or work in conditions below 5 degrees

You can mix and match the layers so if you get warm you take a layer off or if it gets cold you add a layer

We used to have one jacket that did it all but it was heavy and when it warmed up a little you took it off and it was then too cold but too warm to wear a big thick coat

Layer system works and works well

You don’t have to buy the top of the range GG - loads of cheaper alternatives, GG will have the marketing claims they are the top of the tree and they base that from dealing with cold weather in Scandinavia- but not everything is a marketing ploy to get you to spend money, can’t be paranoid about everything

Phil.

Apologies for the hiding in a hole comment.

Wasn't intended to be a derogatory comment but whilst on the course the this afternoon I realised it might appear that way.

Back to the golf gear. I think you'd be daft to think that manufacturers aren't out to make dough out of gullible golfers.

That Footjoy top for example, that's 'suitable for light mist', are you telling me that you've ever woken up and thought "bugger, light mist today, if only I had a top for such conditions"?

I'm fortunate enough, at the moment, to be able to afford GG gear for example, and have a few bits, but I'm not going to shell on everything they pump out as it's just plain daft and I don't want to carry loads of clobber with me.

That's not paranoia, it's being practical

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only winter specific stuff i have is some lycra roll neck/Compression tops sold by Aldi, less than a £10 and are pretty good under s shirt and long sleeve top, then GG jacket over the top if its really cold , but you can still swing a club OK. Most important thing is to wear all your stuff a fair time before going to get your body temp up, rather than stick it all on while you are cold.

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil.

Apologies for the hiding in a hole comment.

Wasn't intended to be a derogatory comment but whilst on the course the this afternoon I realised it might appear that way.

Back to the golf gear. I think you'd be daft to think that manufacturers aren't out to make dough out of gullible golfers.

That Footjoy top for example, that's 'suitable for light mist', are you telling me that you've ever woken up and thought "bugger, light mist today, if only I had a top for such conditions"?

I'm fortunate enough, at the moment, to be able to afford GG gear for example, and have a few bits, but I'm not going to shell on everything they pump out as it's just plain daft and I don't want to carry loads of clobber with me.

That's not paranoia, it's being practical

No worries the comment was nothing to worry about

The good thing about the layer system is you don’t need to get everything

All depends on each person and how they react to the clothing in regards the cold and how they swing

I don’t have the windproofs for example because a underlayer and either gillet or mid layer works for me

I have no idea about a mist top - that’s something I haven’t seen and for me that just seems like a paclite waterproof

The good thing is now there is loads of choices at varying prices. For me because of the changing climate in the UK got to have that choice or wouldn’t play half the year

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The boys were still wearing shorts today. I should have joined them. There was a frost this morn so a slight delay at all clubs but once the sun got up it was beautiful.