Winter clothing

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Seriously, in winter it's not a fashion show, get down to primark and buy a £15 gilet, function over form every time when it's baltic.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Under Armour cold gear compression top, (got all mine on sale), decent polo, pure new wool jumper, waterproof jacket.. Thats enough layers for me:)
Usually I got my stuff on sale in golf shops(not AG)

Last edited:

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
I bought a couple of Adidas climaheat 1/4 zip jumpers that are v warm & not restrictive as have some stretch in them - been pleased with them . Adidas seem to size big - i am 38" chest and have to buy small.

Rich

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need a base layer / compression top.

You can pretty much wear your normal stuff on top. No eed to get led a merry dance buying the latest 'winter gear', gilet, stormwear, etc unless you have the dough and fancy it.

I'd like a nice down type coat but haven't found one that works for me yet, most aren't waterproof, so stick with base layer and standard golf clobber.

Amazing how much nonsense the golf industry pumps at you to get you to buy the latest stuff.

Base layer
Mid layer
Outer layer
Windproof
Waterproof

Don't believe the marketing guff

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions so far. Last year I wore standard winter clothing which were ok but lacked the flexibility required for smooth golfing.

Never taken in by any hype. want something warm, flexible and looks nice.

A thermal base layer is probably a good shout. The footjoy jacket is nicest pick so far, tho the cheaper brands have price on their side!

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to agree on the proquip gillet with bade layer arms. One of the best purchases I’ve made. Not restrictive at all and definitely takes the chill out on a cold day. Team it with a good baselayer and you will feel like it’s summer

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have Galvin Green base layers, I have an Adidas one and a Mizuno one.

I also own "cheap" base layer thermals from Tiso and they are just as good as the golf specific branded stuff. Save your money on thermals and buy basic thermals.

Galvin Green were a present I wouldn't have paid that myself!

😆

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions so far. Last year I wore standard winter clothing which were ok but lacked the flexibility required for smooth golfing.

Never taken in by any hype. want something warm, flexible and looks nice.

A thermal base layer is probably a good shout. The footjoy jacket is nicest pick so far, tho the cheaper brands have price on their side!

Just check the specs with the Footjoy top, remember one stated it repels light mist.

FFS :ROFLMAO:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have Galvin Green base layers, I have an Adidas one and a Mizuno one.

I also own "cheap" base layer thermals from Tiso and they are just as good as the golf specific branded stuff. Save your money on thermals and buy basic thermals.

Galvin Green were a present I wouldn't have paid that myself!

😆

I’ll check sports direct (or the alternative one set up by Newcastle fans 😅) for cheap base layer.

Think I’ll def aim for the gillet with arms thing too.

D

Deleted member 15344

You need a base layer / compression top.

You can pretty much wear your normal stuff on top. No eed to get led a merry dance buying the latest 'winter gear', gilet, stormwear, etc unless you have the dough and fancy it.

I'd like a nice down type coat but haven't found one that works for me yet, most aren't waterproof, so stick with base layer and standard golf clobber.

Amazing how much nonsense the golf industry pumps at you to get you to buy the latest stuff.

Base layer
Mid layer
Outer layer
Windproof
Waterproof

Don't believe the marketing guff

It’s all derived from the military and cold weather workers with the layer system - and it works very well with the thinner insula layers -

The five layers that you mentioned are what we used regularly out in colder climates - served me well in -10/20 in Kosovo and whilst dismissing it as marketing guff - the science behind it is spot on and comes from people living in the cold weather.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s all derived from the military and cold weather workers with the layer system - and it works very well with the thinner insula layers -

The five layers that you mentioned are what we used regularly out in colder climates - served me well in -10/20 in Kosovo and whilst dismissing it as marketing guff - the science behind it is spot on and comes from people living in the cold weather.
Nobodys hiding in a hole in Eastern Europe trying not to get shot though are they Phil?

From a golf perspective, the fact that you can't buy one type that does all is a little convenient don't you think?

D

Deleted member 15344

Nobodys hiding in a hole in Eastern Europe trying not to get shot though are they Phil?

From a golf perspective, the fact that you can't buy one type that does all is a little convenient don't you think?

It’s not about hiding in a hole it’s about freedom of your body when doing sport or work in conditions below 5 degrees

You can mix and match the layers so if you get warm you take a layer off or if it gets cold you add a layer

We used to have one jacket that did it all but it was heavy and when it warmed up a little you took it off and it was then too cold but too warm to wear a big thick coat

Layer system works and works well

You don’t have to buy the top of the range GG - loads of cheaper alternatives, GG will have the marketing claims they are the top of the tree and they base that from dealing with cold weather in Scandinavia- but not everything is a marketing ploy to get you to spend money, can’t be paranoid about everything

Last edited by a moderator: