Winter clothing - help or hindrance?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I went out to play a quick nine-holes this afternoon. As it was rather cold and a bit windy, I was wearing the following clothing. Thermal base layer - long sleeved vest and long johns; polo shirt, lined trousers, sleeveless pullover, lined zip up wind cheater, and a waterproof jacket. I felt like a trussed up turkey, but actually played pretty well, scoring 17 points, one-over handicap, carrying only a half set of clubs, and the course wet and playing very long. I think that the many layers of clothing might have held my swing together and prevented too many individual moving parts. Any views on this? :mmm:

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I teed off at 7:50am this morning. It was very cold and pretty windy and I was wearing a polo, zip up wind cheater, waterproof jacket and normal trousers. I also felt pretty dressed up but I was comfortably warm.

Parred the first but only scored 13 points on the front 9. Scored 22 points on the back 9.

Not sure it made much of a difference haha!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do see some members out playing all wrapped up and cant figure how they are swinging the club at all , i have a realy light long sleeve thermal top and wear that or a sleeveless tee shirt under poloshirt & club jumper..

Ive no idea how u hit the ball at all wearing all that gear Del

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Suppose it depends on what cold is. Played this morning it was -4° and snowing on and off. A compression base layer, polo shirt and a warmlite top with a "normal" pair of trousers was perfectly adequate. Anymore than that then I can't see how you are not restricting your swing, unless of course you don't swing fullyas it stands that is.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I went out to play a quick nine-holes this afternoon. As it was rather cold and a bit windy, I was wearing the following clothing. Thermal base layer - long sleeved vest and long johns; polo shirt, lined trousers, sleeveless pullover, lined zip up wind cheater, and a waterproof jacket. I felt like a trussed up turkey, but actually played pretty well, scoring 17 points, one-over handicap, carrying only a half set of clubs, and the course wet and playing very long. I think that the many layers of clothing might have held my swing together and prevented too many individual moving parts. Any views on this? :mmm:

Far too much gear - so I'm going for hindrance.

I was out not far from you in... Base Layer, Polo, Wind Top; Shorts and Waterproof Trou. Wouldn't want anything more than that unless it started raining - and the Goretex jacket was in the bag (carry only). The only possible extra would be something to keep the hands (knuckles) a bit warmer! Half (Fagan) gloves would have worked.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I make that 6 layers :eek:

However, my view is you played alright, what you were wearing was irrelevent and do we really need a post from you after every round you play?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
When its cold I wear a thermal vest, a polo neck, wool jumper and a light waterproof jacket, it keeps me warm but doesn't restrict my swing.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My view on this is that you need to get out more.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
All in the mind set, you think you gunna play crap because of the clothing you will.so do we all play great in summer? Don't think so.