Windy issue!

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, relative newcomer to the game been playing 2 years but feel my game is getting to a fairly decent standard, shot a pb of 76 in November and have been consistently around the low 80's. However today I faced winds like I have never experienced on a golf course before and ended up struggling to a round of 92. Do you find strong winds affect your scores to this extent?

I wouldn't be worried as playing in the wind will definately effect your scores, particularly if you're not used to it. When I play in the wind I try and shorten my swing, backswing and follow through, and try to keep the ball as low as you can. I quite like playing in the wind as it gives you a chance to be a bit imaginative with your shot making.

Loz1607

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IT hasn't always affected me that much on really windy days. I can go and play rubbish on a perfect day and score well on a rubbish day! Just take each round as it comes!

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to play comparitively well in the wind. Of the 4 comps I have won 3 of them have been in awful weather. I have won with 35 points twice and 33 once. I had 32 on Sunday in very high winds but my biggest problem was hands so cold I had no feel on the greens. I think when the weather is bad I play more conservitavely and it pays off.
Having said all that my scores are generally better in good conditions but I am closer to the top of the comps in poor conditions.

morgs

Club Champion
Visit site
As our course is fairly high up we tend to get our fair share of windy conditions whatever the season. I tend to take the rough with the smooth especially at our course as one minute your playing into the wind where sometimes an extra two clubs are needed and the next the wind is with you. Although i struggle with the wind, when i'm playing into it i try not to let it bother me and accept i might take an extra stroke on that hole.