Wind proofing me

tobybarker

Visit site
Which layers do people wear to stay warm, wind proof and still flexible? When I layer up I end up with stiff arms from too much clothing! I play on Anglesey, which is a pretty windy spot!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Layering up is overrated - if you aren't looking to remove any!

Skin layer, insulation layer and wind proof layer - waterproof if required.
1 & 2 can be combined, but I find that combining 2, 3 & if necessary 4 (waterproof) over a good base layer works well unless is really cold, in which case I'm 1, 2 and combined 3/4, with the outer layer being lose and flexible!

tobybarker

Visit site
Our pro shop has thinsulate jumpers which claim to be be good in the rain, but at 50 notes, I'd like to be sure. Have you tried them?

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i 've found that getting your body temp up inside the outer works best. Ive been wearing all my gear on the way over.
i play in the north of Scotland and never have more that 4 laters, including the outer

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had a number of gortex lined jumpers over the years, of various thicknesses - which are my go to cold but dry solutions. Unfortunately none have been at that price point though.
It really is a case of finding the fit, and performanc levels, that work for you (and your pocket)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me

The windproof part has to be a waterproof trousers* and a goretex jacket, one size too big to allow for the layers under which are for warmth I always try to wear layers that are loose and the final warmth layer is usually something which is sleeveless so I can swing.

* when t is really cold it is long johns first and goretex trousers second.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me

The windproof part has to be a waterproof trousers* and a goretex jacket, one size too big to allow for the layers under which are for warmth I always try to wear layers that are loose and the final warmth layer is usually something which is sleeveless so I can swing.

* when t is really cold it is long johns first and goretex trousers second.
but shirley, at your course, that never has winter greens, it never rains and is always 20 deg plus why would you need long Johns or gortex??:ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Winter golf.

I've never had the need for anything other than a base layer, mid layer and either a gilet or a jacket depending on the rain/wind.

Always have a hat/mitts/snood and have them.on if and when required.

Play quickly, walk quickly, don't stand around chatting and you won't get cold. That is a fact.