Wilson staff irons

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From egstca can gather the non forged and non branded “staff” range is aimed at the beginner/fun golfer market.

My brother in law had a set of Wilson ultra and at 249 for a complete set (driver, 3w, hybrid, 5-Sw & putter) complete with bag was a still, there were as long and as easy to hit as my callaway apex. Great value.

I have hit v5 forged, v6 forged, fgtour62 blades and they are as good as anything out there. Currently gaming fg tour traction control forged wedges which are on par if not better than the forged Mizuno mp-t10 wedges they replaced.

IMHO their forged/staff range is massively under rated but I am not totally convinced on the woods, but that said I hated tried the fg tour versions

Wolf

Visit site
Absolutely love the look of those new Blades and something if and when I upgrade I'd certainly be interested in putting into my bag.

I like Wilson and the stuff they make and the fact they're are big and brash with their marketing

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I got fitted for a new set of Fg tour V6 Irons 4-pw at the start of last season as well as 3 of the Fg tour wedges 52 (bent to 50), 56 (bent to 54) & 60 standard. I can't recommend them highly enough they are standard lofts and feel absolutely brilliant out of the middle, but are also reasonably forgiving on the misshits. Great value as well (y)
I also tried the C300's at my fitting and they went for miles, just too long for me as I would have needed about 5 gap wedges to make up for it, defo ideal for a game improver or senior though.
I am not sold on the woods yet, although the new driver with the moveable weight looks interesting :unsure:

The blades and the Napa style putter look awesome, I just wish didn't need the forgiveness they lack :eek:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
This thread got me thinking, I have just bid on E bay for a set of FG irons, one can never have too many golf clubs. In seriousness they might be handy to take to Turkey with me, I am unsure about trusting my usual set to Easyjets baggage handlers no matter how well I 'wrap' them up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Big fan of WIlson Staff kit. Use the C200 irons and a Bean putter as well as DX2/DX3 balls. Great quality but at a price that I think is very reasonable even for new releases.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played Wilson from mid 70's to the mid 90's, most of which was at low single figures. Switched to Mizzies. There wasn't any discernible difference. decent clubs, just without the hype and marketing.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd say all in all, nothing wrong with Wilson irons at all. All the reviews seem decent. Their drivers, the reviews less favourable.
Agree with this. Lad I know on the Tour recently signed with Wilson Staff and he genuinely rates their new blades. He still uses TM woods and putter though, having previously used TM throughout the bag.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon i will be in the minority but i am not a fan of Wilson Staff equipment, i dont think it is the same quality as the leading brands ie Taylormade Callaway Ping or Mizuno

What do you mean by quality, like, cheap nasty, poor materials?

Be interesting to have some comparisons to compare. I have a couple of sets of Wilsons, Ben Hogans, Benross and Titleists. Oh yeah some Cobras. Nothing about any of them in the irons says cheap or nasty at all.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played Callaway Irons for a while and have been using my Wilson Staffs now for nearly 2 seasons, the Callaways wore terribly and looked old after only a few months whilst the Wilsons still look new, there is no way their components or quality are any different than anything else, people are just unsure of their name now and associate them with being bad quality as they made cheap (mostly box) sets under the name wilson, but Wilson and Wilson Staff are 2 very different animals

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you mean by quality, like, cheap nasty, poor materials?

Be interesting to have some comparisons to compare. I have a couple of sets of Wilsons, Ben Hogans, Benross and Titleists. Oh yeah some Cobras. Nothing about any of them in the irons says cheap or nasty at all.
I never said "cheap, nasty, poor material" its more the feel and the quality of the product, just didnt get it.... I would add the balls seem to discolour very quickly too.
I should add im not a golf snob and if wilson staff equipment helps and improves your handicap, delighted for you, just not for me.