Will a newer driver help with my distance?

crdb

Visit site
Hi all, i'm playing with the Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 (bonded) & lately i've been seeing speeds of 165-170 ball speed, but only seem to be getting 250-60 carry. I see videos of people hitting 150 ball speed carrying over 280/290, is it just the club that is making the difference? I'm not too bothered by distance at all, i'd happily keep hitting it straight but these videos are making me think about upgrading.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It might do... your driver is 11 years old I think? Most thinking on the subject suggests that every 5 or so years is a good time to upgrade your driver. So you're due a double upgrade. :p I wouldn't expect an extra 20 yards though or anything crazy. Probably 7 or 8 yards or so. Unless your old driver is poorly fitted for you.

You can always book a fitting session to try some of the latest and greatest. American Golf will do it for free, although the quality of the fitting varies greatly. Most other places will do it for around £40, but that price will come off the final driver cost if you do buy one.

crdb

Visit site
It might do... your driver is 11 years old I think? Most thinking on the subject suggests that every 5 or so years is a good time to upgrade your driver. So you're due a double upgrade. :p I wouldn't expect an extra 20 yards though or anything crazy. Probably 7 or 8 yards or so. Unless your old driver is poorly fitted for you.

You can always book a fitting session to try some of the latest and greatest. American Golf will do it for free, although the quality of the fitting varies greatly. Most other places will do it for around £40, but that price will come off the final driver cost if you do buy one.
Thats part of the reason for holding off for so long, picked this one up for £70 about 6 years ago.. My thoughts with american golf is whatever they give you they will try to sell you, so not an honest fitting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats part of the reason for holding off for so long, picked this one up for £70 about 6 years ago.. My thoughts with american golf is whatever they give you they will try to sell you, so not an honest fitting.
Yeah that can be an issue with some branches. But I have used them before with the mindset that I just want to try some clubs, see the numbers and get a feel for them, and pretty much ignore what the fitter says to me. 😄

crdb

Visit site
Yeah that can be an issue with some branches. But I have used them before with the mindset that I just want to try some clubs, see the numbers and get a feel for them, and pretty much ignore what the fitter says to me. 😄
Good idea, just hope their tracking software is accurate.. I'm also basing my initial ball speeds on what trackman tells me at the range, so I don't know how true they are either.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good idea, just hope their tracking software is accurate.. I'm also basing my initial ball speeds on what trackman tells me at the range, so I don't know how true they are either.
Take your driver to any fitting and hit it first - after warming up.
That'll counter any monitor issues.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I recall a similar thread where ball speed was discussed.
I'm still unclear as to how and where this speed is recorded and/or calculated.
Please could someone educate me.

The ball goes from stationary, accelerates to a maximum attained speed and then decelerates to become stationary again.

Is "ball speed" the maximum attained speed or an average speed throughout its flight?

Where in the ball's flight is this speed recorded and/or calculated?

crdb

Visit site
I recall a similar thread where ball speed was discussed.
I'm still unclear as to how and where this speed is recorded and/or calculated.
Please could someone educate me.

The ball goes from stationary, accelerates to a maximum attained speed and then decelerates to become stationary again.

Is "ball speed" the maximum attained speed or an average speed throughout its flight?

Where in the ball's flight is this speed recorded and/or calculated?
I'd imagine its recorded on impact with the club but happy for an expert to tell me otherwise :LOL:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I'd imagine its recorded on impact with the club but happy for an expert to tell me otherwise :LOL:
Speed can not be recorded at an instant - there has to be a duration - however short that duration might be.
And the ball is at no time travelling with a constant speed. It accelerates and decelerates. Unless I'm wrong.

crdb

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I gained distance R9 to M4 and then M4 to Stealth (Same shaft in those 2)

With the RBZ 2 all recent TM shafts will fit it so it might be worth just trying different shafts.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
First link on google says its recorded instantly, pretty impressive technology we have nowadays

https://www.foresightsports.com/blogs/golf-tips/what-ball-speed-golf-breaking-down-data
Thanks for the link.
For that very short duration after contact is lost with the clubhead, is the ball continuing to accelerate after the measured duration?
My first guess would be not, since no forward force is acting upon the ball once it is not in contact with the clubhead.
If this is correct, the measurement is made immediately upon commencement of deceleration. This could then be the maximum attained speed. Unless I'm wrong.

crdb

Visit site
I gained distance R9 to M4 and then M4 to Stealth (Same shaft in those 2)

With the RBZ 2 all recent TM shafts will fit it so it might be worth just trying different shafts.
Could be an idea, only problem is my shaft is the bonded one so wont work with most modern day shafts :confused:

crdb

Visit site
Thanks for the link.
For that very short duration after contact is lost with the clubhead, is the ball continuing to accelerate after the measured duration?
My first guess would be not, since no forward force is acting upon the ball once it is not in contact with the clubhead.
If this is correct, the measurement is made immediately upon commencement of deceleration. This could then be the maximum attained speed. Unless I'm wrong.
Yea i'd imagine its the fastest speed right after impact, would be interesting to know for sure though

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

Will a newer driver help with my distance?​

From what I've been able to ascertain,
if you were to hire a chauffeur who's substantially younger than you,
the likelihood of he or she being able to drive longer distances without stopping for rest
are relatively high.

Not to be forgotten, however, is that the comfort level of the motorcar is also a significant factor.

Since the modern head restraints don't allow me to wear my Borsalino fedoras,
I don't even like to ride in automobiles anymore. Que vergogna.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all, i'm playing with the Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 (bonded) & lately i've been seeing speeds of 165-170 ball speed, but only seem to be getting 250-60 carry.
If you're only carrying 250-260 and you're off 12 around your course....either you're knocking it in the trees a lot or you've got a rubbish short game.
When I played a lot my driver TOTAL was around 250 but I was straight and I had a good short game.

I would advise you to concentrate on your up and downs from 50yds and under and ignore the lies, drivel, misinformation on the internet.

Others will disagree

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're only carrying 250-260 and you're off 12 around your course....either you're knocking it in the trees a lot or you've got a rubbish short game.
When I played a lot my driver TOTAL was around 250 but I was straight and I had a good short game.

I would advise you to concentrate on your up and downs from 50yds and under and ignore the lies, drivel, misinformation on the internet.

Others will disagree
in the same vein:

Attachments

• IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 26