Why ??!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it that every once in a while with my driver I catch the ground, hence turning the club face and a rather nasty end result! Actually it doesn't turn into a hook but a pull which usually ends up in trouble. Today I was driving beautifully then 2 on the bounce which was very frustrating.

It really is the only reason I don't hit good drives as without this occasional (but damaging) error I'd hit every fairway...frustrates the hell out of me.

Is it as simple as being lazy with my stance/set up "strength" and therefore losing height on the way down?? I still middle it but a long way left !

Any thoughts as to the reason and what to focus on to prevent it?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't know, but, if without it you would hit every fairway you are either an incredible driver of the golf ball, or, you are not hitting it hard enough. That amount of control is unreal.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tricky without seeing your swing so guessing a bit here.
As I'm sure you know you shouldn't really be catching the ground at all with the driver.
There's really only 2 possibilities
Either as you say you are dropping your right shoulder on the downswing or you're getting stuck on your back foot.
Either way, make sure you make a good strong move onto your front foot on the downswing

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What Bob said and. You may be making too much spine lean to the right at setup. You may be sliding your hips forward too much in the downswing, this will push you into a reverse 'C' position that will bring your swing arc down, back and into the ground. Try making more of a level shoulder turn back and through where your shoulders turn just under your chin.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember John Jacobs writing that teh ladies swing is different from the mens. The skeltal structure differs and due to hormones so does teh muscle mass and ability to generate force quickly.

As a result he argued for a different swing for ladies and used teh fact that a fair few lady tour players rise on their feet as evidence of it. It went something like, to reach their maximum speed tehy ned to put the power on earlier and release their angles earlier, this would lead to the club bottoming out early unless a compensation such as rising on the toes was introduced. he recommended ladies go fro a squarer and leveler hit to optimise their games.

Fats can come from many areas as indicated, such as loss of spine angle, early release of angles, poor weight transfer, too much inside path...

Try and identify your cause and then focus on that.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know, but, if without it you would hit every fairway you are either an incredible driver of the golf ball, or, you are not hitting it hard enough. That amount of control is unreal.

Ok well I may stray into the short rough occasionally but generally hit a solid draw and if not then it's straight. No hooks or slices in so many rounds now that I've forgotten what that's like !

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tricky without seeing your swing so guessing a bit here.
As I'm sure you know you shouldn't really be catching the ground at all with the driver.
There's really only 2 possibilities
Either as you say you are dropping your right shoulder on the downswing or you're getting stuck on your back foot.
Either way, make sure you make a good strong move onto your front foot on the downswing

I will try and get a swing video sorted but in the meantime - I do have a low right shoulder at set up and perhaps have gone to far that way. I feel like I'm getting my weight through as I used to get stuck on the back foot and feel that's corrected. I'll work tomorrow on a more level shoulder turn and ensure my weight is transferring... thanks.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
What Bob said and. You may be making too much spine lean to the right at setup. You may be sliding your hips forward too much in the downswing, this will push you into a reverse 'C' position that will bring your swing arc down, back and into the ground. Try making more of a level shoulder turn back and through where your shoulders turn just under your chin.

Thanks and will try it out tomorrow.
I seem to remember John Jacobs writing that teh ladies swing is different from the mens. The skeltal structure differs and due to hormones so does teh muscle mass and ability to generate force quickly.

As a result he argued for a different swing for ladies and used teh fact that a fair few lady tour players rise on their feet as evidence of it. It went something like, to reach their maximum speed tehy ned to put the power on earlier and release their angles earlier, this would lead to the club bottoming out early unless a compensation such as rising on the toes was introduced. he recommended ladies go fro a squarer and leveler hit to optimise their games.

Fats can come from many areas as indicated, such as loss of spine angle, early release of angles, poor weight transfer, too much inside path...

Try and identify your cause and then focus on that.

Interesting and will research more into that theory as it does make sense. Thanks...

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hover your driver at address - that should ensure you are balanced before backswing, and gives you a great chance of getting back to the ball in the right position