Why the Black Tie works

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The Matrix Black Tie shaft has been praised a lot on the Forum, being particularly well suited to the SLDR driver, giving, for me at least, a soaring, low spinning flight. The reason, I think, is the unique bend profile of this shaft. Miyazaki have a useful "Bend Profile" system, where they measure stiffness at four points on the shaft. They rate their own, & some other manufacturers' shafts at www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/2013-Custom-Catalog.pdf Looking at the list shows that the bottom section of the 6M3 regular is stiffer than, for example, an extra stiff Diamana. The 3389 for the Black Tie indicates a very flexible butt & mid section ("33") and very stiff lower section & tip ("89"). None of the other manufacturers' profiles look like this & I'm sure this is what makes the Black Tie such a great shaft for a lot of people, especially those with a tendency to launch high with too much spin. It's definitely the one for me!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While the stiff tip and lower mid section certainly contributes to the low/low, I'm certain that it's not the only reason - and probably has more to do with feel than flight.

The Ahina achieves the same (or better) Low/Low characteristics with a completely different 'Internation' flex profile. The Low/Low ProLaunch Red actually does so with a very soft tip! And the GD AD achieves the holy grail of Higher relative Trajectory to Spin with a different profile again!

Waiting to see how a Red Tie plays in a low spin (Adams 9064 LS) head! And likely to get my old favourite 9015D/TP7 - the descendent of which has a similar profile to the Black Tie back - shortly too! The 'hinge' that was a feature of the Code series and its descendent 'Rul' probably is the same soft upper/stiff lower profile. It;s one I get on with very well!

Sion

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got it in reg in my driver and love it. Didn't realise how stiff they are. The fitter told me at the time that the black tie in reg is stiffer than a Miyazaki JDL stiff. I managed to get both shafts, haven't given the JDL a proper go as I get a penetrating flight off the black tie which is ideal for where I play.

Sion

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Matrix Black Tie shaft has been praised a lot on the Forum, being particularly well suited to the SLDR driver, giving, for me at least, a soaring, low spinning flight. The reason, I think, is the unique bend profile of this shaft. Miyazaki have a useful "Bend Profile" system, where they measure stiffness at four points on the shaft. They rate their own, & some other manufacturers' shafts at www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/2013-Custom-Catalog.pdf Looking at the list shows that the bottom section of the 6M3 regular is stiffer than, for example, an extra stiff Diamana. The 3389 for the Black Tie indicates a very flexible butt & mid section ("33") and very stiff lower section & tip ("89"). None of the other manufacturers' profiles look like this & I'm sure this is what makes the Black Tie such a great shaft for a lot of people, especially those with a tendency to launch high with too much spin. It's definitely the one for me!

Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have to pay extra for the black tie in your SLDR? I fancy having a go with that driver and shaft!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have to pay extra for the black tie in your SLDR? I fancy having a go with that driver and shaft!!

Long story. I had a Cleveland/Miyazaki shaft which I couldn't use, sold to me by a very persuasive club fitter. I bought on EBay a Cleveland Classic with the Black Tie and swopped the shafts, so the answer to your question is yes, but I couldn't tell you how much. It's the only 6M3 Regular I've ever seen for sale in the UK.

Sion

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Long story. I had a Cleveland/Miyazaki shaft which I couldn't use, sold to me by a very persuasive club fitter. I bought on EBay a Cleveland Classic with the Black Tie and swopped the shafts, so the answer to your question is yes, but I couldn't tell you how much. It's the only 6M3 Regular I've ever seen for sale in the UK.

It's just a awesome shaft, and I managed to wangle mine for free!! It's a £150 up charge on a titleist driver.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing an ahina stiff in my anser driver spinning around 3800. The x stiff 7m3 coupled with the 430 sldr head gave me 2100 with the same swing!