Why does my club do this?

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my club I have a competition handicap off the whites (CONGU) and a Summer League handicap off the yellows. The difference for myself is now 3 strokes and getting wider.

A lad I work with cracks up about this as he says it's cheating and gives benefits to members in other competitions across the area,and my summer league scores should also reflect on my H/C by adjusting the SSS.

I'm a relatively new golfer so it's all a bit strange to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

In my club I have a competition handicap off the whites (CONGU) and a Summer League handicap off the yellows. The difference for myself is now 3 strokes and getting wider.

A lad I work with cracks up about this as he says it's cheating and gives benefits to members in other competitions across the area,and my summer league scores should also reflect on my H/C by adjusting the SSS.

I'm a relatively new golfer so it's all a bit strange to me.

Summer league handicap ?! The club has you with two H/C's of the different tees ? Is the summer league HC official ?

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No,my summer leagues handicaps not official, after summer league finishes it reverts back to my official handicap.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your course had the yellow tee measured with an official SSS then your summer leagues rounds could be official too.

Otherwise it just sounds like there are avoiding having qualifiers by making the rounds off yellow non-qualifiers ... when it would be simpler to get it sorted out.

D

Deleted member 15344

No,my summer leagues handicaps not official, after summer league finishes it reverts back to my official handicap.

So who runs this summer league ? Seems like it is just a swindle or roll up thing that we do where people are cut unoffically for the swindle only ?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
The summer league H/cap seems like a roll up or club night where its fun non qualifying and h/cap cuts designed to spread prizes around like the way most societies work, relax and enjoy and let the h/cap sort it self out in comps off the whites.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my club I have a competition handicap off the whites (CONGU) and a Summer League handicap off the yellows.

As others have pointed out -

1. you only have one handicap - that's the CONGU one (and it doesns't matter what measured course you are playing it stays the same)
2. You should ask your club why they are doing what they are doing with the summer league - there may be a perfectly good reason based on the tees being used, format of competition or basis of competition.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds a bit strange to me as well. All your tees should have a SSS and all can be used as official qualifiers, if not, play the league off the whites. I can understand having a winter handicap at course that don't have qualifiers (for whatever reason) during the off season, but a summer league handicap? That's just daft.