Why do we do it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So a glorious saturday morning in bright sunshine and after another great front 9 with a couple of missed putts i walk off the 9th green +2.

*cue attitude/gameplan change*

10th i take a 3 wood for safety as we have obb on the left and a great 3wood gets a rock hard bounce into an unplayable position. Drop, wedge and 2 putts - BOGEY!

what then proceeded was BOGEY, BOGEY (SI1 so not to bad), PAR, BOGEY, BOGEY...

Ok im now in rory mode and losing the plot.... 5 shots lost in 5 holes, but ok lets get it back, The 16th is a 500 yard par 5, but a gusty head wind was making it play long. A good drive saw the ball finish just off the left of the fairway, but long enough to hit in two so no issue. Got to the ball and a small tree about 10ft high is infront of me about 15feet away.

Card chasing mode begins:

Option 1: midish iron out to the f/way, same again to the pin and two putts for a par.

Option 2: 5 wood out the rough to the right of the tree, the ground runds right to left, a chip on with a putt (maybe a birdie)

common sense says play for par, card chasing mode says get one of the shots back you dropped.

Duff 5wood right.
ok, still 200 yards in, Duff 5wood 80 yards.
Ok still 120 Yards in, 9iron into the bunker
Out & 2 putts and theres another 2 shots dropped.

Why is it every time i get a good card going on the front 9 i change everything, and chase a score.

Looking back on my round stats for this course my last 5 rounds have seen +2, +2, +3, +4, +2 on the front 9, yet i always drop 8 shots + gross on the back 9.

Seriously need to get this under control now.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think about the score or card chasing...It's the worst thing you can do. I know I'm probably teaching you how to suck eggs here!

It's easier said than done, but play it hole by hole.

I'm not sure if that's what attributed to my 11 at the last yesterday, but it's usually what makes me duff shots!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ditto. Level after 6, 2 over after 8, 5 over after 9, 7 over after 15, then double, bogey, bogey finish to buffer. Waste of a morning. Melted like a snow man.

If you find the answer, drop me a pm.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i did go through a stage of not adding up scores as such until the last and it definately helps, but the App on the phone gives you a nice big +1 etc on the bottom of the score card facility. Good because of the stat manager for Putts, GIR, Fairways etc, but sh&&t if your seeing nice numbers infront of you every time i enter a stat.

standing on the 10th tee and being told " ere, you got 21 points on the front 9 " didnt bloody help either. Knowing i missed a few short putts and still racking up that score made me chase harder.

Its inspiring starts like this that make me thing single digits or 10 atleast is managable this season, but only if i can control the inner card chaser. Hes a monster.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know exactly how you feel Oddsocks,

had a fairly similar round myself on saturday, played decent steady golf to walk off the 11th at +2 gross then it all went wrong with 7 straight bogeys to finish 1 over handicap on +9.

Last 3 rounds have resulted in a poor back 9 after getting to the turn with a couple of shots in the bag and hoping for a cut.

Might try starting at the 10th from now on :D :p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its funny you say that, i said to the boys that next time we play that course i want to play the front 9 last. in my opinion the front 9 is alot harder, but the back 9 i just seem to over relax and make silly mistakes.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Friday night was 1 over gross after 16 with a short par 3 hole coming up and a chance to get it back level......bogey, double bogey finish.......doh!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking back on my round stats for this course my last 5 rounds have seen +2, +2, +3, +4, +2 on the front 9, yet i always drop 8 shots + gross on the back 9.

Surely if you're scoring that well that often on the front 9 you should be able to overcome any back 9 fears as you've been there enough times to know how to not screw up.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saturday. first medal of the new season, all going well until 18, par 5, easy if you can get the drive away thorough a narrow funnel of large over hanging trees. I played it up 17 to give me a clear drive away but drew it a bit much and it put me tight to the trees. Result an 8, that gave me a 1 over 70. Gutted! a 5 would have got my handicap down with a win in the first comp. Oh well, lesson learned.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I certainly know this feeling, 3 over my handicap after 10 then birdied the 11th to be back to one over handicap with 7 holes remaining and maybe 3 good chances to get that shot back and get a cut then came the par 3 12th, normally a good hole for me. went way right off the tee, chip to the green caught the top of a greenside bunker and rolled in, caught a flier out the bunker right over the green, the chip back caught in the fringe, the chip on went 10ft past then 2 putted for a 7. Could never get it back from there.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if that's what attributed to my 11 at the last yesterday, but it's usually what makes me duff shots!

At last someone else who hits double figured :eek: ... Double figures are what stops me playing real golf

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

At last someone else who hits double figured :eek: ... Double figures are what stops me playing real golf

10 years ago it would have broken me. After the initial anger yesterday it's best to laugh it off.

It's annoying because I hit a perfect drive and was going to hit 3 iron the wedge into the green. Didn't try and lash it to go for it in two with my 3 wood, but my 1st shot was struck awesomely and although it had a bit of "slice" on it, it started out left enough (thanks to me pulling it!) that it would have been fine....except for the footbridge that crosses the ditch in the middle of the fairway...it hit it head on before shooting sideways 90 degrees to go OOB.

Fair enough, I thought, can't help a bit of bad luck, but when I struck the dropped shot with the heel of my 3 iron and it shot about 15 yards forward and 45 degrees left, straight out of bounds :mad:

Absolute nightmare. I'm over it now though...honest. :mad:

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
It makes me feel a lot better to know others suffer the pain of double figures .... My problem is I need to get over it quickly as another one follows in the same round :eek:

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dunno why we do it. I've played three times in the last 6 days and I have lost my chipping. I can be hole high in two or three and walk off with a 7 or 8, it's killing me.

I think I need a week off, a lesson and some practice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday in the roll up started poorly but got it back to go out in 17 and chopped the back 9. Yesterday in the monthly stableford it wasn't too bad until the 5th and then hacked to the turn and had 17 on the back instead. Why can't I marry two nines of golf together. Back to 13 for my troubles too

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I certainly know this feeling, 3 over my handicap after 10 then birdied the 11th to be back to one over handicap with 7 holes remaining and maybe 3 good chances to get that shot back and get a cut then came the par 3 12th, normally a good hole for me. went way right off the tee, chip to the green caught the top of a greenside bunker and rolled in, caught a flier out the bunker right over the green, the chip back caught in the fringe, the chip on went 10ft past then 2 putted for a 7. Could never get it back from there.
Its doable matey, I took a 7 at our first hole on Saturday, knuckled down and hit shots that I knew would work best (or at least give me best chance of scoring) ended up +7 and got a nice .4 cut, second place and a few quid for a two for my troubles. Every hole is a new adventure, forget even this three hole stretches crud, narrow it down to single holes.