Why do I seem to jump up at impact?

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's all in the Buttocks. In the downswing you are pulling your hips (and buttocks as they are joined) in towards the ball. This gets you too close at impact and your central nervous system realises that 'Huston We Have A Problem' if you dont do something you will create a massive 'Sherman' so it makes you lift up on your toes allowing you to get back to the ball.

Solution: Keep your Butt stuck out. Practice at home by sticking a chair behind your butt and making swings while keeping contact.

Look at this video, It should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not sure if its related to your jumping at impact put your massively hitting on an out to in swing path,

i think you need to be hitting away from yourself, out to the right more at impact, and letting your hands release turnover, to draw the ball back in.

if you do this your distance and accruacy will improve a great deal

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just to add i had a similar problem with my right foot kicking towards the left way too early in the swing,
my pro was obsessed with it, bought it up at every lesson, he bascially taught me to hit the ball without moving my feet at all, flat footed, and only let my right foot come up when they it was pulled round at the very end of by the follow through

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with Tim 100%. All that is happening is you are coming so far on the out to in that the only way your body can get out of the way is to jump up. Otherwise you would just jar your body as you come through the ball.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Bozza you are casting the club over the top on the downswing and having to jump up out of the way, your clubhead follows the path shown on the left, the one on the right is more ideal.

boz.jpg

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, it's kinda what I thought was happening. I've tried to come from the inside more but it seems to mess my swing up completey.

Just going to have to perserveer with it over winter.

Apart from the massive out to in swing is there anything else I need to look at?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think if you combined the set up on your current swing, standing taller,
and the swing path of your previous swing you'd hit the ball really well.

If its messing your swing up hitting from the inside just check you are lined up properley shoulders and feet, and your grip is relatively strong showing 2-3 knuckles on the left hand.

i would guess you may have your shoulders pointing left and/or your grip maybe a little weak

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, it's kinda what I thought was happening. I've tried to come from the inside more but it seems to mess my swing up completey.

Just going to have to perserveer with it over winter.

Apart from the massive out to in swing is there anything else I need to look at?

Is your grip and ball position good? If it is then I would just concentrate on getting the swing plane better. After that has changed you will see a difference in how you hit the ball. Do not try and change too much at once or it could go catastrophically wrong. Alternatively see a Pro who could maybe sort you out a lot quicker.

Do not worry about anything else that you may be doing wrong, sort that swing path out first. As you change the swing path you may find the other swing faults will go.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another thing you will find with your swing. Is you are releasing the clubhead to soon so you have to jump up to stop hitting the ground behind the ball.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are swinging the club out-to-in because you are pushing your hips forward. Like I said you have no room to swing the club without lifting up. Just try doing that drill from Shawn Clements.

A

Alex1975

This is as much a question as and observation... everyone seems to be talking about the swing path but would it not be the case that if the weight was properly transfered onto the left side that it would be almost imposable to jump? Clearly Bubba Watson would be the exception to this!

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
looks like your firing the hips to quick from the top which is causing a major out to in.when the club gets to the top you need to drop it into the slot then fire the hips...this gets you coming from the inside and creates lag

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup my grip and ball position is good and last time I had a lesson I got told my alignment was good as well. It's just that nasty out to in swing plane I need to fix now.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup my grip and ball position is good and last time I had a lesson I got told my alignment was good as well. It's just that nasty out to in swing plane I need to fix now.

Dont deal with the symptom of the problem, deal with the problem. You are hitting across the ball and lifting up due to your posture and hip movement.

I showed you a video from Shawn Clements on posture. Here is another from Mark Crossfield that addresses exactly your problem where you push your hips forward and lift up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Jbjcdxaw8&feature=related

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont deal with the symptom of the problem, deal with the problem. You are hitting across the ball and lifting up due to your posture and hip movement.

I showed you a video from Shawn Clements on posture. Here is another from Mark Crossfield that addresses exactly your problem where you push your hips forward and lift up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Jbjcdxaw8&feature=related

In my old video I'd say my posture was a problem but in my recent one I'd say it's better and my weight is more on the balls of my feet and my shoulders over my feet more like it said.

But I will give it a try next time I'm down the range and see what happens.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my old video I'd say my posture was a problem but in my recent one I'd say it's better and my weight is more on the balls of my feet and my shoulders over my feet more like it said.

But I will give it a try next time I'm down the range and see what happens.

In your last video just hold a line on the back of your butt and see how far forward you push your hips from that line. Look how out of balance you become and the way your back foot turns in at the end of the swing. Work on keeping your butt back and maintaining your spine tilt.