Why do I duff my chips?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A tip I was given by one of the EG squad coaches was to always use the same club. Either PW, 9 or 8, whichever you feel most comfortable with. But get the feel of the club don't keep switching. I now virtually always leave myself with gettable putts. But I'm working on curing the yips now - LH'd seemed to be doing the job before lockdown.

www.hiltonpark.net
Since I thought about my problem I've looked at a lot of online stuff and found that Danny Maude is very good - this video describes the one-handed chipping drill you are talking about.

I'm looking forward to giving that a go because I think i do a lot of the things wrong and he discussed at the beginning and I got the same results when taking my left hand off.

Thanks for sharing.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As an expert 'chip duffer' for many years I've been working hard my short game in the last year or so. I've finally realised that good chipping is about body rotation not hand movement. Use the big muscles not the small ones.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I need a chipping lesson as I have frankly little idea whether or not I have set up and executed correctly when I do a good one or whether the good outcome was simply a fluke. I pretend to myself that I know what I am doing but given how variable my chipping outcomes are I’m thinking I just don’t. Soonest I get my pro telling me to do X,Y and Z then practice it the better...my imagination and skills can wait until I have built a decent foundation because too many times I fail to get down in two from just off the green.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On dead pan lies or in the summer I never use a wedge with high bounce.
When playing with your sternum over the ball with hands slightly forward at impact a high bounce angle might knife the ball unless you’re very precise. All my wedges are 8 degree max. Just my opinion though

Diamond

Visit site
Up until yesterday I hadn't had a lesson on chipping. My only chip shot is the chip and run which is not always the right shot to play.
The Pro yesterday had me weakening my left hand grip, which just felt wrong, but the odd time I made good contact it did float quite high for me. I also looked at some videos which shows the difference in ball flight between a strong right hand and weak right hand grip and it was very interesting.
Its a bit like when someone asks you to eat with chop sticks for the 1st time but I am going to need to persevere.

Stealthdrawer

Visit site
hi funnily enough i was chatting with the pro at my club today after an hours practice of mainly chipping and short pitching, he said the main issue he sees with amateurs particularly, mid to hi, was too long a back swing leading to deacceleration through the ball, !
cheers Sd