Why can't I hit my 60 degree

albie999

Visit site
So, managed to get back on the course yesterday after 3 months off with broken ankle, anyway, it seems that I just cannot hit my 60 degree. I have been practising in the SIM, and was seeing the same problem.

Every other club I hit from GW to Driver, all had a reasonable flight, straight, slight draw or fade ... .however, with the 60 degree, it basically just went straight right each time. I was putting on what felt like the same swing as on the other clubs

The 60 degree LW is a Callaway MD2, my GW to 6 iron are Ben Ross HTX's, Ping Karsten Hybrid (4) and Ben Ross 3 and Driver

Really just wondered what people think might be happening here

Swango1980

Visit site
Is it simply that the shaft is different to the other clubs, as you stated it was a different model. It could be your swing is fine, but the shaft is not suitable to your swing.

Swango1980

Visit site
Or, the lie of the club. Basically, it would be better to get a pro to look at that for you, before starting to try and change your swing, which could mess up all the other clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I may be cynical based on my own personal experiences and inabilities but I've found the LW will usually cost a mid-high handicapper more shots than it saves. I often see PP's thin or fat shots with a 60 degree and for me, it's easy enough to open a 58 degree (especially in sand) and get more than enough loft. Also, relying on it around the green can make a player one dimensional and the chip and run option often a less risky shot especially off a bare or muddy lie

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most try to hit a 60 to hard this gets the hands ahead of the ball and opens the face.
Need to see it to be sure.
I also see a lot of the opposite and players not swinging fast enough, especially around the green and almost try and help the ball up so hit it fat/thin

As I've said having had one I found it a club that when it#s working is brilliant but far too often I'd make mistakes and cost myself shots with a 60 degree to the point where it had to come out the bag

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might just be that with it being the shortest club, you're swinging around too much and only just catching the ball off the toe.

Do you really need to hit full shots with a 60 if you have a 56 though? I have a 60 but barely ever use it, only for tight bunkers with high faces. I don't really hit full shots with my 56 either unless I have to go over something tall. Full shot with a 60 is a difficult to one to get right as the contact has to be perfect to avoid the chunk into the ground or the thin bullet.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Just shows what a weird game we play.
I am really confident with my Mizuno 60 degree, using it around the green, and over bunkers. However I am struggling to get decent distance with my irons at present.
The golfing gods are fickle creatures.

albie999

Visit site
It is a funny game :) .... My 60 is a Callaway MD3, my other clubs are Ben Ross. After video'ing and foot spray on the face, it does look like I am sometimes getting off the hossle, and that I am swinging it to much around. With a little change of position, and take away of the club, I have been getting some better shots, even though the shank still creeping in from time to time

To be honest, I don't use the 60 that much anyway. As has been said, I tend to try a bump and run a lot of the time around the green with an 8 iron to PW ... although, there is still times when my 60 could come in handy. Think I will be bagging the 60 on the course for now, whilst I practice in the comfort of my SIM

Just thinking ... whereas the Ben Ross are game improvement clubs, the MD3 probably does not have the forgiveness of the Ben Ross

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just shows what a weird game we play.
I am really confident with my Mizuno 60 degree, using it around the green, and over bunkers. However I am struggling to get decent distance with my irons at present.
The golfing gods are fickle creatures.

Aren't they just. I've just bought Taylormade Hitoe wedges and they are really good and the results are better than ever but still struggling big time with the driver even though it used to be the best club in the bag

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is a funny game :) .... My 60 is a Callaway MD3, my other clubs are Ben Ross. After video'ing and foot spray on the face, it does look like I am sometimes getting off the hossle, and that I am swinging it to much around. With a little change of position, and take away of the club, I have been getting some better shots, even though the shank still creeping in from time to time

To be honest, I don't use the 60 that much anyway. As has been said, I tend to try a bump and run a lot of the time around the green with an 8 iron to PW ... although, there is still times when my 60 could come in handy. Think I will be bagging the 60 on the course for now, whilst I practice in the comfort of my SIM

Just thinking ... whereas the Ben Ross are game improvement clubs, the MD3 probably does not have the forgiveness of the Ben Ross

I thought so, not many shots go straight right unless off the Hossel. People often confuse a turn and go too much on the inside with the hands and arm, esp short clubs (myself included) best advice i would give... don't use a 60 full stop;), but if you must take the club back outside the line as if you are trying to slice it