Why are Winn grips so poor?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seriously!

You would think they had been in the industry long enough to know how to make a grip that is more durable than bar of soap!

Earlier in the year, I was fitted for a Raa putter and as part of the spec' that gave me the best results was a 17", 136g Winn
Pistol grip.

Dont get me wrong, I love the texture, size and feel of the grip, but after only 5 or so months of use it is almost ready to be replaced.

Yes, I do practice my putting an awful lot and always have but never suffered with other grips degrading like Winn do. It was the same on a TM Rossa I had a few years back. That too had a stock Winn grip that had to come off inside of a year.

Im not sure if this is down to the material used in the construction of the grip (Excel material in this case) but it just isn't durable. The grip texture is soft , almost squishy to the touch and obviously doesn't like being taken in and out of the bag.

After a little reading on other golf related site it appears I'm not the only one who suffers or thinks this of Winn grips. The general consensus I read is that they suffer from poor durability and wear out pretty quickly.

Thing is, I really like the grip and will no doubt replace like-for-like in a few weeks time :mad:

Perhaps this is a really smart business plan from Winn. Build a great grip that folk will like but won't last overly so so it will need replacing in short order. Clever if that is the case. Keeps production runs going and the £££ rolling in.

Watch out for a repeat post in about 6-12 months time when the next one starts to wear out :rofl:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive had my Raa since Jan this year and is still in great shape.

stop being so rough with it Gareth. :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Use Winn's on both putters and the jumbo lite's look like they'll last a lifetime, no issues at all, so maybe only some/one winn models

Moisture/humidity does seem to be a killer for grip wear (although I doubt a Mod would fail to keep their grips in good order/maintenance ;)) but no idea how quickly a grip left damp starts to 'breakdown'

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
The Winn grip on my putter is looking a bit ropey too. Not so much where I actually grip the club, but at the end - probably from dragging it in and out of the bag as you say.

I imagine it's hard to make a grip that is the soft texture like that but durable at the same time. I guess it's a matter of how much you like the soft feel and whether you're willing to pay for it. Probably plenty of grips that last ages but they're also probably fairly hard.