Why are some golf clubs so poor at communication?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, Kilspindie is my 'first choice' of the three. Not sure of getting in straight away as there's a waiting list, though.

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same thing happened to me Del last autumn. Must of contacted 10 different clubs asking for info reguarding membership, and only 2 got back to me.
One, wanted to know what i did for a living,. and if i was "just" an employee could i please forward my managers e-mail so they could ask for a reference. Are these people for real?? I only wanted to play golf, not marry their daughter. Needless to say binned. The other iam currently a member of and they are £670 quid better off. It does make you wonder if the members of these clubs know how poor their committees are at communication.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's odd Del I don't recall receiving an email from you.......;)

Seriously that's very poor indeed.I was at a Managers Seminar last night and they were hammering home the need for clubs to communicate more with their members in particular after the year we have had weather wise it's crucial IMO that the Greenkeeper keeps in touch with the members. On the back of my thoughts we are going to trial a Greenkeepers Blog on our website and see how that is received.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wee update to this thread.

STILL haven't heard anything from two of the three clubs I contacted, but have had excellent dialogue both via phone and e-mail with the third - Kilspindie. Suffice to say that I am going down there tomorrow morning for a look round, a wee hit and to hand in my application form. A waiting list of circa 60 people means that it may be January 2014 at the earliest before I get in, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. :thup:

http://www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've experienced this recently when looking and enquiring about distance membership like that they offer at Saunton Sands. Hardly any replies even though those emails tend to go to the Secretary!

I also find it at my own club when asking questions or queering something and have even offered free help, got no reply, not even to say thanks for the offer but....

I think some clubs are still locked in to a draconian way of doing things with an old brigade at the helm and "change" is a big horrible word for them!

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Interesting thread this - are these clubs so healthy (or full) from a membership perspective that they simply can't be bothered, or are they just plain incompetent/inefficient/rude? If it is the former, then it may be all well and good for them to adopt such a high-handed approach right now, but it could well come home to roost a few years down the line. The club I'm a member of would have had a full waiting list and still commanded a hefty joining fee as little as 10 years ago, but that most definitely isn't the case any more - much closer to 'if you've got the readies, you're in' now.

Ref the post about keeping members informed and up to date, my club is very good at this via email, as indeed all should be in the modern communication age. But there does appear to be a slightly worrying trend of clubs relying on Twitter to effectively send out what should really be 'member only' announcements - eg course closed until further notice due to waterlogging; 13th & 15th holes currently out of play etc. I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea for clubs to be broadcasting such things to the public at large, as I suspect it could have a negative impact down the line - i.e 'Let's not bother with ??? Golf Club - looks like they don't drain very well or are having a few problems right now.'

Just my opinion of course...

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's never any excuse for the "can't be bothered" attitude, full membership or not. It's at the very least unprofessional to ignore genuine requests for information....all it takes is a one line reply saying thanks for your enquiry but unfortunately the club is not open to new members at present.

As for the use of Twitter, clubs could protect their tweets if they're worried about them being seen by the public at large. That would mean that only their subscribers (who could be restricted to club members) would see the information.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know its not really my place to make such a suggestion, but wouldn't this be an excellent idea for a piece in an upcoming mag. Interview a decent selection of club members about such things as club communication. I have to rely on sporadic twitter updates to let me know if the course is open. Also, there is very little communication regarding the direction the club is going, planned work etc. it feels like once the money is handed over, they no longer have to bother with you.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I'd have to agree with you Danny. Good call.

We last did a big membership feature perhaps a couple of years ago, but Mike and I have already discussed the idea of revisiting things next year although I don't know when yet - possibly in one of the spring issues when the season is just about to start in earnest

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We last did a big membership feature perhaps a couple of years ago, but Mike and I have already discussed the idea of revisiting things next year although I don't know when yet - possibly in one of the spring issues when the season is just about to start in earnest

On the ball, as ever, Jezz. :thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of clubs like mine are still stuck in the dark ages with the older contingent unwilling to move on with the times. Our club have just introduced an online booking system moving away from the old ball in the chute system and queueing up to get your name on the sheet for the medals, the old boys want this voted out at the AGM as they don't have online access and can't be bothered calling the pro ahead, they still want to come and stick their ball in the chute and wait, it's outrageous.

Our committee are always looking at ways to go a step further to make it better for members and easier to administer on their front, we have 2 guys and 1 in particular who puts untold hours into the club and all he gets is moaned at. If he chucked it tomorrow we'd have to look at a club manager to do his work which would cost a damn sight more than it does now. The old guard really can't see further than the length of their driver. Does my box in sometimes.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
You any thoughts or input on any of those courses Chief?

If you want a game round Dunbar give me a shout..................one thing, it not is flat. You can’t have elevated tees and hidden greens on a flat course.

I’ve just checked up on my e mails from Dunbar this year, 37 in all. The last few were to do with the extensive winter programme and that gets published every autumn.

Minutes of council meetings are published for all members to download and read.

There is a captains surgery every few weeks for anyone that needs it.

All competitions and results are faultlessly run and the course is in superb condition. Considering the weather we’ve had you wouldnt know that if you played Dunbar. Full tees and greens throughout the year and the whites are also on if you like.

The is a number on the web site you can just lift the phone and call, there is also a membership form that anyone can download.

Finally, I’m immersed in requests from my mates to play there summer and winter. Maybe the guest price of £12

However, I’m a member at Royal Musselburgh as well and I’ve had my mates on there once this year. Enough said.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that that's the kind of communication we are looking for Tommo. It doesn't need to be a daily thing, just a level of communication that makes us feel like part of the club, a cherished customer, rather than a once a year donor. It would also be great if new members were encouraged rather than forgotten about once the cheque cleared. I've introduced 2 members this year and neither has had any contact from the club once the interview process was completed.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want a game round Dunbar give me a shout.

Thanks Tommo. :thup:

To be fair, I've played Dunbar a couple of times and I love it, but have pretty much discounted it now as it's maybe just a touch too far away for me. Kilspindie is less than 20 miles from my door and can be reached in under half an hour. Dunbar is 32 miles away and takes me about 45 to 50 minutes.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you want a game round Dunbar give me a shout..................one thing, it not is flat. You can’t have elevated tees and hidden greens on a flat course.

I’ve just checked up on my e mails from Dunbar this year, 37 in all. The last few were to do with the extensive winter programme and that gets published every autumn.

Minutes of council meetings are published for all members to download and read.

There is a captains surgery every few weeks for anyone that needs it.

All competitions and results are faultlessly run and the course is in superb condition. Considering the weather we’ve had you wouldnt know that if you played Dunbar. Full tees and greens throughout the year and the whites are also on if you like.

The is a number on the web site you can just lift the phone and call, there is also a membership form that anyone can download.

Finally, I’m immersed in requests from my mates to play there summer and winter. Maybe the guest price of £12

However, I’m a member at Royal Musselburgh as well and I’ve had my mates on there once this year. Enough said.

Your club has had foresight to employ someone to look after communication and that is to be applauded and will in my mind 100% reap dividends for them.

I wish we had the finances to do such a thing as it really is time consuming for a man who is spinning a million other plates.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The club I'm a member of would have had a full waiting list and still commanded a hefty joining fee as little as 10 years ago, but that most definitely isn't the case any more - much closer to 'if you've got the readies, you're in' now.

I've been trying to organise 6 events next spring/summer/autumn for our society. If you are still a member at Crowborough Jezz, then they were really good at responding and offering alternatives when our original day was taken.

Some however have been shocking at responding. I am basically offering them the thick end of £1500 for 1 day, and some can't be bothered to even return phone call/email's. even if it's to say sorry no can do. :(

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Lots of clubs like mine are still stuck in the dark ages with the older contingent unwilling to move on with the times. Our club have just introduced an online booking system moving away from the old ball in the chute system and queueing up to get your name on the sheet for the medals, the old boys want this voted out at the AGM as they don't have online access and can't be bothered calling the pro ahead, they still want to come and stick their ball in the chute and wait, it's outrageous.

Our committee are always looking at ways to go a step further to make it better for members and easier to administer on their front, we have 2 guys and 1 in particular who puts untold hours into the club and all he gets is moaned at. If he chucked it tomorrow we'd have to look at a club manager to do his work which would cost a damn sight more than it does now. The old guard really can't see further than the length of their driver. Does my box in sometimes.

That sounds like 99.9% of golf clubs Val.Very interesting to read.Where is your club?