Why are some golf clubs so poor at communication?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After the horrendous 'summer' we've had these past two years, I've been thinking recently about switching from soggy parkland to firm links golf and twelve months playability for my money. I e-mailed three prospective clubs on Friday of last week and, so far, only one has bothered to reply. I was under the impression that clubs were crying out for new members, but the apparent apathy being shown here would suggest otherwise.

Anyone had any similar experiences or is this an isolated case? :(

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems that a lot of golf clubs despite having email don't bother to reply to info requests. I have had similiar issues myself.

That said it is not only restricted to golf clubs I have had many info requests just simply ignore for all manner of things.

Simply answer just ignore those that don't reply and spend your hard earned where it's wanted.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally I find in all industries that a direct email gets a better response rate rather than an online enquiry form. So if you get the email address for secretary@ then I'd expect about an 80% response rate but not sure if online enquiry forms are properly managed so more like a 50% response rate.

Both are totally unacceptable and will usually put me off joining/buying/playing etc.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope, not isolated. Mate of mine moved across to Fife from Edinburg and sent emails to several clubs and got 1 response back which was "sorry we have no availability".
Worst offender was Ladybank, 2 emails and a phone call, the call resulted in a promise of a call back within an hour. 2 weeks later still no call. When he chased it up the response... "No one here would have promised you a call back, we don't do that here!"
Un-be-lievable!
Needless to say he joined a nice wee track called Muckhart - can't think who would have recommended that :whistle:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree. In this day and age where comunication products are everywere I find it amazing why clubs don't just fire off and e-mail to all members when they wish to tell them about anything. A daily update on the course would be great! If only to say open or closed!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree. In this day and age where comunication products are everywere I find it amazing why clubs don't just fire off and e-mail to all members when they wish to tell them about anything. A daily update on the course would be great! If only to say open or closed!

Not so much daily, but we get a monthly "magazine" type email from the Seccy or one of the committe giving updates, event info and general health of the club. It's a good initiative and is as frequent as I would like it. A Daily update would maybe be a bit overkill. We have a website that has the course status if it needs to be checked.
Actually, on the rare days when the sun is blazing and it's lovely golf weather and I am stuck in work, the last thing I would want to see would be an email from the club telling me "course is open this fine sunny and warm day"... I would crack up and attack my boss with a stapler :mad:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive sent direct emails to loads of golf clubs over the last few months about golf days and generally spending money at their course one way or another and the response time can range from silly to none at all. Theres plenty money out there in golf if people/clubs are willing to work for it imo.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had similar experiences of this recently. Currently looking at my options for membership at a new club, reasons posted on another thread.

But I emailed 2 clubs directly using the advertised email address for their clubs secretaries last Monday, still awaiting a response from them, going to call them on my lunch today to see whats taking so long to answer an enquiry of new membership when they are openly advertising for members.

But the 1 other club I contacted, I did via the online form they have in the morning and had a response before close of business the same day, and as a result going to have a look at the club and play there Saturday. I get to play it at a reduced green fee but if I go ahead and join they take that off the price of the membership & give you a voucher for 1 guest to play free.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Playing Devil's Advocate; most golf clubs have part time secretaries. For some of the older secretaries the t'interweb and compootors is a black art.

Personally, for something as important as switching clubs and spending lots of pennies, I'd rather ring or visit. Its a chance for me to 'interview' them.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Playing Devil's Advocate; most golf clubs have part time secretaries. For some of the older secretaries the t'interweb and compootors is a black art.

True, but surely in 2012 they should either learn to use them, or at least become competent in replying to emails. Or find someone who can. The way people communicate has changed, they have to get used to it. To survive the majority of clubs will have to embrace it before they realise the potential new members have joined another club who showed an interest in them.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've just joined a new club and the difference in communication from my old one is incredible. I've had several emails per week ranging from Captains weekly update to details about upcoming quiz nights/dances/live football matches , competitions coming up , even an email telling us when they are going to hollow tine the greens and why and the expected disruption this will cause. Amazing really because i'd got so used to being treated like a 2nd class citizen at my old place with everything the committee decided being such a big secret.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After the horrendous 'summer' we've had these past two years, I've been thinking recently about switching from soggy parkland to firm links golf and twelve months playability for my money. I e-mailed three prospective clubs on Friday of last week and, so far, only one has bothered to reply. I was under the impression that clubs were crying out for new members, but the apparent apathy being shown here would suggest otherwise.

Anyone had any similar experiences or is this an isolated case? :(

Similar Del, however most secretary's dont get 24 hour email access but I'd expect a response within 7 days max.

Edit to add - Where are you thinking of joining?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Martin. Don't really want to turn this into a name and shame thread, but all are in East Lothian and they begin with D, K & L. L is not really a 'proper' links course, but has firm, sandy turf, so near as dammit.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Martin. Don't really want to turn this into a name and shame thread, but all are in East Lothian and they begin with D, K & L. L is not really a 'proper' links course, but has firm, sandy turf, so near as dammit.

Wasnt really thinking on a name and shame just interested in where you were thinking on.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just joined a new club and the difference in communication from my old one is incredible. I've had several emails per week ranging from Captains weekly update to details about upcoming quiz nights/dances/live football matches , competitions coming up , even an email telling us when they are going to hollow tine the greens and why and the expected disruption this will cause. Amazing really because i'd got so used to being treated like a 2nd class citizen at my old place with everything the committee decided being such a big secret.

we get the same weekly update from sec office ranging from comp entries and format to space in matches as well as other social functions away days and course conditions and works planned. Takes only a few minutes but makes a big big difference IMO.

T

thecraw

Dunbar, Kispindie and Longniddry?

Del, just phone them thats what I did as you can gauge their response and attitude quite quickly listening to them talking about the course/club.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dunbar, Kispindie and Longniddry?

Del, just phone them thats what I did as you can gauge their response and attitude quite quickly listening to them talking about the course/club.

You any thoughts or input on any of those courses Chief?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
When I first moved into Edinburgh, I emailed several clubs about membership rates, joining fees and the need for a proposer/seconder.

Of the 9 or so clubs I emailed in and around the city, only Duddingston, Craigmillar Park and Torphin Hill had the courtesy to reply.

T

thecraw

You any thoughts or input on any of those courses Chief?

Only played Longniddry which I loved. I hear Kilspindie is a great wee track with superb food. Heard mixed reports about Dunbar, seems to be marmite to people from the west. They either love it or say its a flat boring field with good greens!