WHS Score Differential - letter P

wjemather

Visit site
Yep - the P denotes a penalty score.

Usually a penalty score will have been applied automatically because there was a pre-registration but the score was not submitted (or at least not submitted via the same method as the registration was done). A reminder notification should have been received prior to the penalty score being added.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Bit of a thread hijack but last week I NRd a comp and didn't play the last three holes and didn't hand my card in.

I know this is against the WHS rules but what should my score have been entered as? Its gone on my record as a net double on every hole but this seems completely wrong to me and will just encourage handicap manipulation by driving it up?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a thread hijack but last week I NRd a comp and didn't play the last three holes and didn't hand my card in.

I know this is against the WHS rules but what should my score have been entered as? Its gone on my record as a net double on every hole but this seems completely wrong to me and will just encourage handicap manipulation by driving it up?

The answer is the scores from your card. This can only be done by you handing the card in and requesting the handicap official at your club to change the scores recorded.

The club probably recorded your score as NR on every hole. It is up to the club to have a disciplinary procedure in place for players who do this. Some ban players for a period of a number of comps for doing it.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site

Just as an answer to your question, what scores did you expect if you did not hand in your card?
It really is nothing to worry about, unless you do it another 11 times, then it really starts to count.[/QUOTE]

wjemather

Visit site

Your handicap committee should be chasing you for your actual scores, so they can be entered on the system, and the reason for not playing the last 3 holes; if the reason for abandoning your round is not valid, a penalty score may be appropriate. Persistent failure to return scores or complete pre-registered rounds (which includes individual strokeplay competitions) should result in further action, e.g. suspension of handicap. If your handicap committee are not doing any of this, you should ask them why, and escalate to your county if you do not get a satisfactory response (i.e. anything other than the committee start fulfilling their responsibilities).

18 nett double-bogeys is never an acceptable score entry for handicapping unless that is actually what was scored. The reason for it is probably down to the software being used for your competitions, which may automatically do this with unreturned cards if the wrong option is selected when closing the comp.

wjemather

Visit site
Just as an answer to your question, what scores did you expect if you did not hand in your card?
It really is nothing to worry about, unless you do it another 11 times, then it really starts to count.
There is everything to worry about if a committee is ignoring such things. HH may have only done it once, but you can be sure there will be some doing it regularly if unchecked.

Prior to WHS we had several people who returned their card in less than one in four or five comps, only entering their score when if it was thought to be good enough; if that kind of thing had been allowed to continue under WHS, with 18 x NDBs entered, their handicaps would be many strokes higher than they should be. A strong education programme prior to WHS implementation means that having cards go unreturned for this reason is almost non-existent.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
There is everything to worry about if a committee is ignoring such things. HH may have only done it once, but you can be sure there will be some doing it regularly if unchecked.

Prior to WHS we had several people who returned their card in less than one in four or five comps, only entering their score when if it was thought to be good enough; if that kind of thing had been allowed to continue under WHS, with 18 x NDBs entered, their handicaps would be many strokes higher than they should be. A strong education programme prior to WHS implementation means that having cards go unreturned for this reason is almost non-existent.

It's quiet obvious the committee are not ignoring it, if they were ignoring it nothing would be entered at all.

No matter what you do there will always be certain people who will try and manipulate their handicap for one reason or another.

wjemather

Visit site
It's quiet obvious the committee are not ignoring it, if they were ignoring it nothing would be entered at all.
That isn't how the systems work. The software generates an automatic "NR" score (18 x NBD) for unreturned cards when closing the comp (some systems require confirmation before doing this, some don't).

Of course, this isn't how the systems should be functioning for compliance with WHS rules - they should be generating a competition pre-registration that then goes unfulfilled when a score is not entered - but that's a whole other issue.

Swango1980

Visit site
It really is nothing to worry about, unless you do it another 11 times, then it really starts to count.
[/QUOTE]
That is almost certainly going to be untrue, unless you can guarantee that all the 8 rounds in 20 that were actually handed in would have been within the Players top 8 had all 20 rounds been handed in. However, you'd probably find that some of those 8 scores that were submitted were not overly great, whereas at least some of the 12 that were not handed in would have beaten at least some of the scores that were handed in.

Furthermore, let us say a player did get to the stage where they has NRed 12 of their last 20 rounds. Then, I'm sure you'd agree they would really need to submit their next score (assuming their 20th oldest score had been returned before playing the latest round). Their latest round could be an absolute stinker, maybe much worse than many, if not all of the 12 rounds they didn't submit. They submit it anyway. They have 8 counting scores, but a much higher Index than they would have had if they had simply submitted all their scores.

So, a Committee that were fulfilling their role adequately would be very very concerned long before a player fails to return 12 scored in 20. Even 1 no return is likely to result in some sort of investigation, question asked of the player. Any more than that, and the player would likely start getting warnings and then suspensions of handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

If your reason for discontinuing was valid and as you played a minimum of 14 holes, you would have been allocated net par for the unplayed holes.

Edit: If you played a minimum of 10 holes, you would have been allocated net par plus one for the first and net par for the remainder of unplayed holes.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Oh my goodness, some of you guys really do need to chill out a bit and not take everything so seriously.
Neither having a handicap nor entering competitions are compulsory; however, players must be prepared to follow any associated rules, terms and conditions if they do.
Likewise accepting a handicap committee role; those that do must fulfil their responsibilities.