WHS Handicap Tables for 9 Hole Courses

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have 3 9 hole courses which are both used in combination and as individual 9s. We have been issued 6 course handicap tables from England Golf (3X9 + 3X18) but the 3 nines are actually 18 hole tables giving a full allowance for your Handicap Index.

We want these to be the 9 hole tables but according to the people who produce the boards for the 1st tee they are different and you can't just cut the Course Handicap in half if only playing 9 holes???

We never play the same 9 twice to make 18 holes - just the combinations.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you checked the USGA data base to see how they rated your course i.e do you have a separate rating for each 9.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure which club you are but for example Dorset Golf Resort has the 3 nines rated individually as well as the combinations.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just checked Moor Allerton, played there recently and has 3 x 9 loops. The database shows the overall slope for the combinations eg 1-18, 19-27, 1-9 & 19-27, but if you click on one of those combinations it then takes you to another page where it show slope for each 9, front & back.

Have you tried the above for your course @mikejohnchapman Is this what you are looking for?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have 3 9 hole courses which are both used in combination and as individual 9s. We have been issued 6 course handicap tables from England Golf (3X9 + 3X18) but the 3 nines are actually 18 hole tables giving a full allowance for your Handicap Index.

We want these to be the 9 hole tables but according to the people who produce the boards for the 1st tee they are different and you can't just cut the Course Handicap in half if only playing 9 holes???

We never play the same 9 twice to make 18 holes - just the combinations.

Has anyone else come across this issue?
Try this

https://ncrdb.usga.org/

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have you checked the USGA data base to see how they rated your course i.e do you have a separate rating for each 9.
Yes each 9 has been rated - the issue is not the rating it's the table provided by England Golf to concert HI to CH. If I apply a 4.0 handicap index it says my CH is 5 - but I don't get 5 shots in 9 holes - should I get 3?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes each 9 has been rated - the issue is not the rating it's the table provided by England Golf to concert HI to CH. If I apply a 4.0 handicap index it says my CH is 5 - but I don't get 5 shots in 9 holes - should I get 3?
But won't you only get the shots on the hole with the low indices on those 9?
What calculation did you do?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

6.1b For a 9-hole Round
A 9-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
Course Handicap = (Handicap Index ÷ 2) x (9-hole Slope Rating ÷ 113) + (9-hole Course Rating – 9-hole par)

It really is up to you club to have tables for all course ratings.
Realisticly the club should have separate cards for each of the nine holes with appropriate SI allocations (this is what we do with our 9 hole course when playing a qualifying com
Ref Appendix E

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
6.1b For a 9-hole Round
A 9-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
Course Handicap = (Handicap Index ÷ 2) x (9-hole Slope Rating ÷ 113) + (9-hole Course Rating – 9-hole par)

It really is up to you club to have tables for all course ratings.
Realisticly the club should have separate cards for each of the nine holes with appropriate SI allocations (this is what we do with our 9 hole course when playing a qualifying com
Ref Appendix E
I understand - this is just frustrating to me as we are making it more complex than it needs to be. Why publish a conversion table that we will never use? We never play the same 9 twice in a competition and visitors are never booked on the same 9 either. Our 3 9s have even SI on one nine, odds on the next and both on the third to balance which other 9 has been played. Asking payers to do this calculation rather than look-up a table if the fancy playing a 9 hole acceptable round doesn't feel great.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand - this is just frustrating to me as we are making it more complex than it needs to be. Why publish a conversion table that we will never use? We never play the same 9 twice in a competition and visitors are never booked on the same 9 either. Our 3 9s have even SI on one nine, odds on the next and both on the third to balance which other 9 has been played. Asking payers to do this calculation rather than look-up a table if the fancy playing a 9 hole acceptable round doesn't feel great.

I am not understanding all this, are players playing just 9 or are they playing 18? If the latter I would have thought the tables would cover the options for which 2 nines are being played as the 18.