Whos your favourite golfer??

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Payne Stewart.

To appear in the best dressed all time top ten, whilst also appearing in the worst dressed all time top ten is an achievement in itself, whilst also being a fantastic golfer, and a sportsman too.

Sadly missed.

DCB

Visit site
I remember Sandy Lyle during the eighties when he really could hit anuy shot he wanted to. I watched him at the opern at Muirfield in 2002 and pointed out to my nephew that he was probably the best iron player in the world when he was at his best. He then proceeded to his a superb shot into the 18th green just to prove he sill had it in him.

I remember watching Nick Faldo at Muirfield in 87 when he won his first Open. I wasn't impressed with him at that point, but, now when you look back at what he achieved he wasdefinately one watch. His personality was the problem (percieved ?) but when you see how single minded Tiger is now, then Faldo had it right, it was just too different at that time.

Going back a wee bit further, I remember watching Neil Coles striking a 1 or 2 iron off the fairway and thinking" I wish I could do that" another fine Brittish player in his time.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jack - pure quality,
Lee Trevino - absolute love of life,
Gary Player - total dedication,
Seve - rescue ranger,
Faldo - true grit,
Westwood - good attitude
Poulter - irreverent (he must be to wear those clothes!)
KJ Choi - watch this space, he has a lot of wins coming

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
FOr some older members Christy O'Connor Snr was such a natural golfer with a super swing.

Actually, RGS it was Christy O'Connor and then his nephew Christy O'Connor Jnr. (also an excellent golfer).
BTW Have you been around long enough to remember Joe Carr?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was at the 18th at the Brabazon last week I had a moment to look at the plaque where Christy Jnr hit his 2 iron 175 yds in the Ryder Cup. We had a discussion about how we could hit it with a 5 iron then agreed that withh an older style ball and clubs and in front of the whole world it was a bloody good shot.

Christy Jnr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrespect

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know what you mean, Andy.

Arnie was obviously at his peak before out time and when I was younger I used to cringe at that swing. But the more I've seen him interviewed recently, the more I've come to respect and admire the man. As you say, a true gent, incredibly knowledgable, humorous and with a true love of the game for all the right reasons. Charisma by the bucketload.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shanker-never saw Joe carr play but from all accounts he was a superb golfer.

He was recently inducted into the "Golf Hall of Fame" and was paid a glowing tribute by Jack Nicklaus.