Who's played the Brabazon?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Afternoon folks,

Who's ever played the Brabazon at the Belfry? I'm playing here next month (PGA National on Wed 4th, stay overnight, Brabazon on Thur 5th) and going from memory of the Ryder Cup etc and looking at the pictures on the website, it terrifies me!!!

Are the fairways really that tight? Are the bunkers really that bad? Someone give me a glimmer of hope please!!! lol

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
i played 2 rounds there a few weeks ago. like you i was pretty petrified but shot an 89 :)
i wouldn't say its too daunting - you'll only really struggle if you try to carry the water on some holes rather than laying up!
the main difference, and difficulty, i found was the speed of the greens - super quick!

playing there was an absolute dream though. we also had a shotgun start on both days and tee'd off from the 13th which really helped as we barely saw another person the whole way round which lessened the anxiety!

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Thats nice to know its not that bad, the green being quick could be an issue mind....i'm used to playing on the woolly greens of muni courses :D

My biggest concern is how tight the fairways are though, looking at the course pics they look incredibly narrow, and with it being a "proper" course, I imagine the rough isnt very forgivving?!?!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
when i was there the rough was an issue, not cos of the length of the grass which wasn't too bad, more the bogginess of it which meant a lot of balls were burried off the tee.
the fairways weren't too bad. i think its set as more of a challenge for longer hitters - so you'll probably find a decent landing area for on most fairways for mid distances, its when you're looking for the long 2nd shots, trying to clear water/bunkers that you'll struggle. but hey you'll probably be laying up leaving a pitch to the hole anyway.

putting wise - hit the practice green first. don't do what i did and go in cold - 3 putted the first hole from pretty close as the ball just didn't stop rolling!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
no worries mate. also be careful over what they charge you for the Brabazon. we did a 2 night deal there which included rounds on the PGA and they charged us £70 each i think for the upgrade to the Brabazon, then we found out they were doing an offer (leaflets when we got there) for a £30 upgrade, we got our money back but bear it in mind.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
think ours was £140 which was a room for me and the missus, brekkie and dinner - plus two rounds on the PGA and 2 SPA treatments for her.

how the bill came to £400 i'll never know ;)

Visit site
I played the Brabazon albeit two years ago and found it to be brilliant. The infamous 10th (will you go for the green on 1?) and the super quick and undulating greens which stuck out in my mind. Oh, and getting a engraved glass tankard for the Longest Drive!

Dont worry, just enjoy. ;)

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
You just reminded me about the 10th, its only 236yds from the yellow tees!!! Got to be worth chucking a ball down and going for it.

Looking at the picture of the 10th, it doesnt show how wide the green is, i take it only a high fade that pitches and stops will do rather than one that pitches and runs?

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
good luck with hitting the 10th off the tee!!!

to land it on there you need to carry the full 236 yards as the tee is TINY with water in front and to the left.
plus you need it to land soft and with a slight fade.

all in all - no chance!!!
its hard enough to get on in two, little 5 iron lay up followed by a 60 feet flop

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have only ever played it twice.
First time I had only been playing a year or so, so found it very difficult (read long).
Second time I had had a skinful the night before and could hardly walk so found it very difficult (read long).

I wouldn't mind having another bash at it again but would make sure I didn't visit the BelAir night club the night before.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keef, I played it just over a month ago. Trust me, just enjoy the experience.... it's a great course.

My tips would be, be careful on the extremely quick greens and make sure you take an extra two or three clubs out of the rough.... its so thick.

Oh and if the fellas you are playing with are friendly, see if you can arrange for everyone to take a mulligan on the tenth. We all did and no one got anywhere near the green but it was good to say we'd all had a go.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Aye we've already agreed we've all got a mulligan on the 10th, should be a laugh if nothing else :D

Putting may be an issue as i'm off to buy myself an Odyssey sabretooth tomorrow, playing saturday morning with it and then off to The Belfry, so not much chance to practice with it...ah well, onwards & upwards!

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I will do fella.

I played a local course near me yesterday morning and played a million times better than i did last week, so i'm really really really looking forward to Wed & Thur now :D