Who here is in the Northwest....?

ThinAir

Medal Winner
www.facebook.com
Specifically around the Bolton(ish) area?

I'm fairly new to the game and have spent the last 3 months having lessons and trying to get things grooving along at the range; I've been having lessons with David Martindale (Top bloke), at Chilli Dip golf. I've some big improvements and I really want to start trying to find my way around a course with a view to finding somewhere to join and play regularly.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that would be a good place to start?

I've had a few offers of games from people at work and this is great, but the guys I work with live all over the place and no one plays at a course that would realistically be close enough for me to join and be able to play regularly.

I know the courses that are close to me are Breightmet, Bolton Old Links, Dunscar, Bolton Golf Club, Deane and Farnworth and Great Lever but being so new to the game, I know nothing of these places, what to expect and what to try and avoid. Google is great, but its nothing compared to genuine recommendation from someone who knows what they are doing!

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Specifically around the Bolton(ish) area?

I'm fairly new to the game and have spent the last 3 months having lessons and trying to get things grooving along at the range; I've been having lessons with David Martindale (Top bloke), at Chilli Dip golf. I've some big improvements and I really want to start trying to find my way around a course with a view to finding somewhere to join and play regularly.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that would be a good place to start?

I've had a few offers of games from people at work and this is great, but the guys I work with live all over the place and no one plays at a course that would realistically be close enough for me to join and be able to play regularly.

I know the courses that are close to me are Breightmet, Bolton Old Links, Dunscar, Bolton Golf Club, Deane and Farnworth and Great Lever but being so new to the game, I know nothing of these places, what to expect and what to try and avoid. Google is great, but its nothing compared to genuine recommendation from someone who knows what they are doing!

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

I play at Duxbury in Chorley. I have played Bolton Old Links and Dunscar a couple of times each and prefer Bolton Old Links. I played Farnworth and Old Lever once and found it to be a bit flat and boring and the long walks between the holes and the road crossings to be a bit annoying.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
There's a load of 6 fingered webbed footed GM forumers in that area and around the NW in general, I'm sure they'll all show there faces soon, when there let out of there padded cells that is :smirk:

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello mate I live in Bury but played Breightmet a few times. I quite like it there. I used to have lessons with Ste at chilli dip golf. Really good place!

The 9 hole course at chilli dip could be a good place to start as its cheap and relatively quiet so not much pressure when you're going round.

What at days do you normally play?

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am a member at Old links very good course not easy ask some of the guys on here who have played it not playing at the moment due to having a operation recently should be fit in about 3/4 weeks you are more then welcome to come up for a knock when Iam fit give the office a ring they do tasters round for new members, just to let you know I joined about 8 years ago had to have a interview but they have dispense with that now and didn't know anybody but was made very welcome by everybody and have made a lot of very good friends.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As Grogger says, the 9 holes course at Blackrod is a decent enough starting place, and it's almost never shut (that's not always a good thing).

Have a look at playing some of the muni's first. Duxbury is a great layout, then you've also got Haigh Hall and Regents Park.

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was at Duxbury for the last year and it was great, just moved to Haigh Hall this week as I'm only 20 and it's £12.50 a month for 7 day membership, was a no brainer for me really.

Played Bolton Old Links the other week, I think as a beginner you'd be loosing quite a lot of balls there in the long stuff, was a very nice course though even if it was tipping it down.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ola, the North West Crew are a pretty active bunch and are always keen for a game (as long as you can handle banter of a ridiculously poor standard). We have our own Order of merit comp, which is purely geared around us meeting up with each other for games (see the arrange a game section). Birchy & Liverbirdie tours inc. also arrange quite a few games a bit further a field.
Keep an eye on the arrange a game section and jump on where ever you fancy. I am sure there are a lot of people getting games in who would welcome you along. Pretty much covers the whole of the NW. I know qwerty and bluewolf use Chilli Dip a fair bit, so you may bump into them. Just look out for the guys trying new clubs and the sales guy rubbing his hands together when they walk in and you will know who they are!
Hope to see you at a meet soon!

ThinAir

Medal Winner
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies, folks. Really useful and interesting to see what everyone has to say!

Hadn't thought about playing some of the muni's and didn't realise quite how many of them there were in the area!

I will keep an eye in the arrange a game section as well, would be good to meet some of you and show you how bad I am at this game!

In response to the question about what days I usually play; it varies. I work a pretty messed up shift pattern, which essentially means I can play most days at a variety of times and I do make the most of my free time and spend a lot of it hitting balls!

I'm in Derbyshire at the minute, but it anyone is about and fancies hitting the range or playing nine holes up at Chilli Dip at some point then drop me a PM and I would be more than happy to try and arrange something!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Thinair, another one of the NW jolly boys here. If you're using Chilli Dip regularly, then you might want to add Chorley Golf Club to your list. One of my favourite local(ish) courses. Keep an eye open for TugglesF as he's a member there and can give you more info.

Also, keep an eye on the arrange a game section as there's plenty of golf being played all over the NW and its strictly Fun First. There's a wide range of abilities and no one will make you feel out of place as a beginner. There are also regular golf trips arranged which tend to prioritise a few beers over the golf.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
S
Hi Thinair, another one of the NW jolly boys here. If you're using Chilli Dip regularly, then you might want to add Chorley Golf Club to your list. One of my favourite local(ish) courses. Keep an eye open for TugglesF as he's a member there and can give you more info.

Also, keep an eye on the arrange a game section as there's plenty of golf being played all over the NW and its strictly Fun First. There's a wide range of abilities and no one will make you feel out of place as a beginner. There are also regular golf trips arranged which tend to prioritise a few beers over the golf.

A few.....?!? Roundabout Dave will vouch for that ;)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello Thinair, Ex Bolton Resident here. I managed to escape to Chorley 7 years ago which I'm not sure is a good thing, Currently Pinstripe jeans and Back perms are in fashion.
Course wise you're spoilt for choice around Bolton.

Bolton gc
Old Links
Dunscar
Deane
Turton
Regent Park muni
Breightmet

..Are all good courses and as Bluewolf said..If your over the Horwich side definately take a look at Chorley. Great course and Club.
Keep an eye on the arrange a game as we have a lot going on in the North west, Great days out with a good set of Lads.:thup:

ThinAir

Medal Winner
www.facebook.com
Cheers for all these messages guys, it's encouraging to meet such a friendly bunch!

Grogger.... I've got your PM but can't reply because you have a full inbox!

ThinAir

Medal Winner
www.facebook.com
..Are all good courses and as Bluewolf said..If your over the Horwich side definately take a look at Chorley. Great course and Club.
Keep an eye on the arrange a game as we have a lot going on in the North west, Great days out with a good set of Lads.:thup:

had a look at the Chorley GC website earlier and was impressed with what I saw.... Looks like a lovely course!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't forget Humpback bridges. I've since decorated a few in Reading during rush hour :(

Don't think ill ever forget watching you jog round a roundabout in Reading's morning rush hour :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't know as much as the other NW guys about the courses across that way, Bolton is nice (but quiet), Old Links is nice but I'd imagine it is brutal in bad weather, Chorley is really nice aswell. Spoiled for choice up that neck of the woods really.

A few of the other NW rabble will give you better advice than I, head along to some of the meets though, its a great laugh. Look forward to seeing you for a game at some point :cheers:

Just don't play Qwerty for money :thup:

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi mate I'm a member at deane I'm off work next week so if your around I can have a knock with you their or maybe go to chilli dip? No pressure etc would be good to start meeting people from this forum

ThinAir

Medal Winner
www.facebook.com
Hi mate I'm a member at deane I'm off work next week so if your around I can have a knock with you their or maybe go to chilli dip? No pressure etc would be good to start meeting people from this forum

Sounds good to me... I have never yet played around a course though, so you have been warned!

I'm in South Derbyshire at the moment visiting family for a few days, bu if you wanna drop me a PM, we can certainly arrange a game :)