Which Set of irons

TheWalrus33

Visit site
I`ve had a swing with these 2 sets but i`m not sure i like them both
Which ones for you ??
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Wilson-Deep-Red-WT-200-Irons-Graphite-5-SW/p93185.aspx

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Callaway-Golf-Big-Bertha-Irons-4-PW-Graphite/p95351.aspx

And i apologise for asking this question :) but would you buy these if you were just starting to play the game i`ve heard good and `very` bad reports about them

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PROSIMMON-CLUBS-...9459&sr=8-2

Thanks in advance for advice

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I prefer the look of the Callaways, however, please go to AG and get a fitting for the clubs that suit your swing/tempo/speed etc, even better go to the Mizuno fitting centre which is more in depth and both are free with no pressure to buy but you'll get some good advice especially from the Mizuno fitter. Do that then come back with options they suggest and clubs you like.

I'd steer clear of the amazon set as you will only want to upgrade quickly

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Big Berthas at £299 has got to be deal of the decade.
Deep Reds will be good, but I don't expect the shafts to be anywhere as good as the Callaways.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im selling my callaway big Bertha 08 irons. 4-sw in very good condition. You can have them for £150 plus p+p if you want them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I were looking for some irons to start out with then the Big Bertha would be on the list. Callaway do know how to make easy to hit clubs. I would also look at MD Superstrong or if you can find a set Wilson Staff DI7 (I always preferred them to the later models). Online Golf have Mizuno MX-100 on sale for less than £200 and that is a bit of a bargain as well. Any of those, to my mind, would be ideal as a first set of irons and will last many years.

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
Buy second hand, £300 will get you a decent quality set of very good golf clubs today.

I got a set of Titleist ZB Forged irons for £350, lovely.

Golfbidder is a good option but go online as the shop in New Malden stinks of fish and bullshit.

SG86

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure that a set of forged ZB irons would be ideal for a beginner but a fine club.

Just had an email from American Golf, they are selling Wilson Staff DI7s for £189 which is a bargain in my eyes.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't quite work out why this thread is still running.

Cheap clubs from a bargain retailer will be crap.
Faced with the chance to buy top of the range kit for half price or mid-priced kit for not much less, it doesn't take a genius to work out the best route.

You tend to get what you pay for. My Callaways are quite old and have seen 100s of games and 1,000s of balls in practise.
They clean up great with proper cleaner and the shafts are near perfect. My Mizunos (not currently using) are almost "as new".

A £500-600 set up for sale at £300 has got to be the way to go.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im selling my callaway big Bertha 08 irons. 4-sw in very good condition. You can have them for £150 plus p+p if you want them.

Problem solved.Give Mr Hangover a call and get yourself a decent set of clubs,for not much money, (that'll you'll have no probs selling on should you fancy a change in the future).
Its a no brainer imo.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
£120 for a starter set inc bag etc sounds pretty good value, expecially if you are not sure if you are going to keep at the game or not.

I really have nothing against buying a starter set for those who are starting from scratch.

Would you go out and buy a custom fitted table tennis bat when you first started and didnt know if you would like it or use one provided by the club for free?

I know what I would do! I am pretty sure the average decent golfer on this forum could shoot their handicap with those prosimmon clubs! I just would not want to use them once I got the hang of it as I bet they have almost no feedback or feel.

TheWalrus33

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice and offers,
The prosimmon set i was going to buy as a present for my nephew who wants to start.
I on the other hand maight stick to my old set of clubs for a while
Thanks again

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am pretty sure the average decent golfer on this forum could shoot their handicap with those prosimmon clubs!

I'm not so sure. :eek: :D

Now, that's not an experiment I'd like to try.

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure that a set of forged ZB irons would be ideal for a beginner but a fine club.

Just had an email from American Golf, they are selling Wilson Staff DI7s for £189 which is a bargain in my eyes.

I never reconmended a set of ZB irons for a beginner, I mearly stated the quality of club you can get for a small budget if you go second hand.

You can't go wrong with Callaway, I'm not a fan but if you want something good for that price and a C/way is there - do it.

SG86