Which putter

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Met Andy at the Par 3 Championship at Nailcote Hall where he was set up on the putting green. He said exactly the same to me. Had a very good talk with him and he had a very interesting device that showed the correct plane and length for putters and also kept the putter on path. Shame he is so far away from me as I'd love to spend more time working on my putting and also the short game with him. Enjoy and look forward to the write up
I wonder if Bobby Locke or Tiger or Spieth worry about the correct plane angle for their putting stroke. Geez peace man. Putt with your eyes you will do far better and also bore far less people

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not my ethos but simply what Andy Gorman believes passionately about and what he feels for a lot of handicap is a major problem in their putting and that most would benefit from longer putters. If you don't like what a person puts ignore it. Far more grown up than bitchy comments

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not my ethos but simply what Andy Gorman believes passionately about and what he feels for a lot of handicap is a major problem in their putting and that most would benefit from longer putters. If you don't like what a person puts ignore it. Far more grown up than bitchy comments
Each to their own as they say but I think history shows that the best putters are very natural and fluid in how they putt and actually think about doing it. If you roll a bowl to a point or throw a basketball through a hoop, if you started complicating things with stance, elbow and arm positions, rotation of the wrist I think the task would invariably become much more complicated than it need be. Just my tuppence worth.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It helps to get one that corrects your stroke.

If you tend to swing inside to out get a toe weighted putter to help you go back and through straighter.

If your already straighter get a more balanced putter.

Whatever gets you swinging straight back and through is the right putter.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am currently having putting lessons with Andy Gorman. He believes that 90% use putters that are too short for them and as a result are too hunched over their putts. I’ll do a full write up once I’ve finished the sessions.

I’d be keen to hear your progress. In taken some tips off his YouTube my putting feels much better

Robin Hood

Visit site
I really struggled with my putting for years. Like a lot of golfers I must have changed my putter on regular occasions.
I was in my local pro shop and talking to him and his assistant, I tried lots of putters, and really liked the feel of a Cleveland Counter-balanced putter.
With this in hand he took me for an impromptu lesson on the putting green.
The results are a real game changer; far fewer 3 putts, better accuracy and much better distance control.
My two big thoughts with putting are alignment/aim and rhythm.
Moral of the story - it may not be the putter but your ability to use it.
Saying that a new club is also motivational 😀

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What is his reasoning behind this?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is his reasoning behind this?

Lot of people get sore backs from poor putting posture caused by a short putter for one.

But mainly because having a short putter takes you out of alignment (shoulders should be in line with toes iirc). Which in turn affects which muscles are recruited for the putting stroke.

Look at his YouTube series with Risk Shiels.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a putter gets my eye over the ball, is comfortable for me to use and feels good when I use it then it's the right putter for me.
Confidence is everything with a putter.

Siolag

Visit site
I wonder if Bobby Locke or Tiger or Spieth worry about the correct plane angle for their putting stroke. Geez peace man. Putt with your eyes you will do far better and also bore far less people

I’m nowhere near your level but agree. I’m using an old Putter that was my dads many a year ago, but it feels ok and I’ve done a medal with 26 putts. Off a 32 handicap and well over a 100 on the score card at the moment that’s a decent return.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, from 2 pages of comment, it seems obvious that putters are 'personal'...so no real help to the OP's question!

My advice would be (is!) go down to your nearest American Golf - or similar big Golf store/Pro Shop - and try as many styles out as possible - noting the style that 'feels' best. Then it's 'simply' a case of finding the right length for your body attributes.

There are a few 'tools' that can help, but finding the 'right' putter is an ongoing quest! I've probably used nearly 100 over the years, with vartying success. My most reliable has been with me for over 15 years though!