Which Irons

Dickybran

Hacker
Visit site
I am looking for a new set of irons. My handicap is 14. I have noticed that most brands have 2 or 3 cavity backed sets in their collection, how do I know what kind of cavity back suits me?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Massive choice and too many factors to consider. You will get loads of replies of the "get a set of Kerching Tour Blades" variety but you really need to try quite a few to get an idea what you like and don't like, not to mention what you hit well or badly. Then once you have a shortlist, I would advise custom fitting, although others will have different opinions.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Are you looking for off-the-shelf or fitted?

If fitted and dependent on your location, going somewhere like the Belfry will allow you to use lots of brands and variations and advise you on exactly what suits you best. The downside is that costs £50.00 initially but then that is taken off the sale of any sets you buy through them.

Personally if these are now going to be your main and only set for some years, its the best £50.00 outlay you'll ever pay.

Dickybran

Hacker
Visit site
Ok thanks. I was planning on doing that, I'm just looking online trying to get a better idea. I really like the Titleist CB's but wasn't sure if they were aimed at lower handicap players. But from what I've read they seem quite forgiving. A lot of the other clubs I've seen I don't really like the look of, but am wondering if I shouldn't just be going for looks. Surely some of the uglier clubs look that way because of certain technologies being used.

Dickybran

Hacker
Visit site
I think I will just go to a shop. I'm not looking to spend a fortune so will probably just buy them off the shelf. I am sure there are plenty of advantages to getting them fitted, but I'm an average size so think I can get away with it to some extent. Just out of interest, what factors do I need to take into account? Also, as I said in my previous reply to pbrown I am looking at the Titleist CB's, is there any reason why someone with a 14 handicap shouldn't be able to use them? Or should I be going for something more like the AP2's?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It all comes down to what you feel you will use best.

How good a ball striker are you?

Do you hit the ball high or low?

Are you looking for forgivness or workability?

Do you prioritize distance or dispersion?

Factors like these should be considered when choosing a set, not to mention them being the right length and lie.

Dickybran

Hacker
Visit site
Basically I am just getting back into playing again. I used to play all the time when I was a teenager, but moved to London and haven't really played for the past 18 years. I have recently had a golf lesson to try to correct my slice which is working fairly well, but am feeling a little bit uncomfortable getting used to it. I've been told I have a good swing, but still needs a bit of work. I have no problems with distance, it's my direction I would like to improve on. I prefer hitting lower clubs, my long game is not good enough. I've always thought I had quite a conservative swing, but after seeing a video of myself it looks like I'm trying to murder the ball, so yes I have fast swing. As for height I don't really know, with a wedge I get ridiculous height, but higher clubs I'd say I get less height than average. So part of me thinks I need a more forgiving club, but I have read that you don't get the accuracy, so I am starting to think I need a club with better accuracy?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You would be surprised what you get fitted for. A 12hcp golfer in our swindle went to St Ives for a Titleist fitting expecting to get told that AP2's would be a suitable choice for him. Well he came back and they had recommended 712 MB's!. And yes he does hit them sweet.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
you need to offset technolgy aids ie chunky sole, top line, cavity back with how it looks to your eye at set up and then also consider feel when you strike the ball there is no right or wrong answer and no one can say this club for low handicap and such and such for high handicap. There are good players playing with so called game improver clubs and high handicapers who use blades its all about personal choice. Best bet is go to a shop AG or DG and have a browse in the flesh and start from there.
Happy hunting

Markedcard

Visit site
Lots a of good advise already posted. All I will add is try as many as possible before you buy. I bought a set of Pings recently after trying all the leading brands and I went back 3 times to try them on the range before finally going with the clubs I hadn't consider initially. I did also have them custom fitted, well for length and lie.