Which Irons for an 18 handicapper?

RJUDD

Visit site
I am an 18 handicapper in the market for some new irons. My game is steadily (I hope) improving the more I play. I have been offered a set of Ping S59's but having read the reviews I fear these may be a little too difficult for me to use and get the best out of. Please can I have an expert opinion on whether or not the S59's are a good idea for a player of my ability and if not can you recommend a set of 'game improver' irons that might be suitable given my gradually improving game?

G

guest100718

Are you looking 2nd hand? There are lots of forgiving irons out there at good prices. Ping G10, Mizuno JPX, Titleist AP1s to name a few.
I think you'd do fine with the 59s.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
S59's would be marketed as "better" player irons, however if you can hit them, you can hit them! can you try before you buy?? (a must!)

I tried the S59's in american golf when i was bored and they were awesome!! i would have bought them if i needed new irons irrespective of handicap, its just a number. buy the clubs that work for you.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
callaway x forged are lovely clubs, I only got rid as had the x tour forged aswell, hit both decent tbh infact the x forged although less forgiving were much nicer to hit.

for me look for a set of Titleist 775 cb's. forgiving but not shovels & cheap as chips, I really liked the ns pro shafts aswell.

Spark.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go and try a set for yourself mate. Im playing with raz x tour irons which are supposedly a low/mid handicapper set but i feel i can hit them well.

RJUDD

Visit site
Sorry, not quite up to speed with the forum, only seem able to post 1 message per day. All advise has been extremely useful. I will try out a few sets before deciding. I have been offered the s59's by a friend at a good price, hence the interest!