Which irons do you use?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I currently have the Mizuno MP20 mb with $ Taper Lite stiff, off an 8.2 index.

I also have a set of Ping i210 which I bought this week for a little bit more distance and forgiveness. One range session showed me that I wasted my money, the dispersion was worse with the Pings, as is feedback and feel. As for distance there is nothing in it despite the 1 degree stronger lofts in the pings, unless I absolutely flushed the mb, then it went slightly further. I'm currently in the process of listing the Pings on eBay.

Would I recommend them, yes? But only to people who either have the time and inclination to work with them or those who don't care about score and handicap.

D

Deleted member 3432

Srixon ZX5/ZX7 combo set & Srixon ZX utility 2 iron.
Index 2.4

D

Deleted member 15344

Mizuno MP 18’s SC with project X Lx 6.0 Stiff shafts - HI is 1.3

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Handicap snobbery ruined my game. Was playing 2012 TM CB off 24, great forgiving clubs that got me down to 7.something in 2014, treated myself to 2014 mc’s and my game had never been the same.

Cuffentlt hitting cf16 ok ish off 11 ish, will be getting shovels next!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I think you've answered your own question with your last line.

IMHO too much :poop: is talked about how certain handicaps should use certain clubs.

I'm 10.9 and to me your Callaway TCB irons look like chunky monkeys. Playing proper blades is just a matter of getting used to them, IMHO we obsess too much about shaving every fraction off our handicaps, play the clubs you want to play, you'll still be able to get the ball around the course.

Part of the issue with today's clubs is that strong lofts have reached such a ridiculous level that putting mid/long irons in the bag is akin to using an old 1 or 2, or 3 iron, hence your irons stop at the number 5 (and the TCB are quite weak compared to many new sets).
Isn't that the truth. I was looking at a set of Titleist 718 AP1's the other day, the 4i is 21 degrees and the PW is 43. They are so strong that Titleist provide two gap wedges for the set, but they don't call them gap 1 and gap 2, just put lofts on the bottom, 48 and 53.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't that the truth. I was looking at a set of Titleist 718 AP1's the other day, the 4i is 21 degrees and the PW is 43. They are so strong that Titleist provide two gap wedges for the set, but they don't call them gap 1 and gap 2, just put lofts on the bottom, 48 and 53.

Same as the ap3 and cobra king forged tech

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Muzuno jpx hot metal pro, off 2.5.
Used blades before these, though I hit them well, golf it better fun with the help these give.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site

This is problem i see with the modern stronger lofts. At the top end of the irons you can just stop at a 5 instead of a 4. But at the bottom you need extra wedges to fill the gap after the P/W.

Maybe its just a marketing think to make us buy more clubs. You find now when you buy a set its 5-p/w you then need 3 wedges and maybe a couple of hybrid/driving iron. Years ago it was 3-p/w in a set and you just needed the 2 wedges at the bottom.

D

Deleted member 15344

This is problem i see with the modern stronger lofts. At the top end of the irons you can just stop at a 5 instead of a 4. But at the bottom you need extra wedges to fill the gap after the P/W.

Maybe its just a marketing think to make us buy more clubs. You find now when you buy a set its 5-p/w you then need 3 wedges and maybe a couple of hybrid/driving iron. Years ago it was 3-p/w in a set and you just needed the 2 wedges at the bottom.

It’s always been the same amount of clubs you are allowed in the bag ?‍♂️

People used to have 1,2,3 irons in their bag - now they have a hybrid , 3 wood and then a gap wedge

I will always never understand why people get hung up on strong lofts etc

Just play with the set that you like and does the best for you regardless of if they have strong lofts etc

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site

People used to have 1,2,3 irons in their bag - now they have a hybrid , 3 wood and then a gap wedge

Just play with the set that you like and does the best for you regardless of if they have strong lofts etc

Obviously the same amout of clubs. But you now buy the irons, 3 wedges, couple of hybrids. Instead of a set of irons which covered most of the bag.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping G25, 18.0 hc

I'm pretty sure these are in the GI bracket and I would agree with that. Confidence inspiring at address, nice and forgiving. No intention of changing. Would happily recommend to any mid to high handicapper.

You would have to ask a low h/c if they would use them, I can't answer for what they look for.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I think it's useful when discussing clubs, if someone says they hit a 6 iron it would be nice to know what club they were talking about and not to have to make a guess based on the year it was made and the level of golfer it was aimed at.

D

Deleted member 15344

Obviously the same amout of clubs. But you now buy the irons, 3 wedges, couple of hybrids. Instead of a set of irons which covered most of the bag.

There are plenty of sets that can be from 4-SW ? Or sets that include a hybrid

Golf evolved just like other sports - even shoes , balls , bags , clothing - it all moves on

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it's useful when discussing clubs, if someone says they hit a 6 iron it would be nice to know what club they were talking about and not to have to make a guess based on the year it was made and the level of golfer it was aimed at.

Does it make a difference what club they hit though ? Surely all that matters is what you hit and how far you hit each club so that you know what club you need to take. Even with clubs the same lofts it’s only relevant if you have the same swing speed and same impact. Guess it’s all the macho thing about hitting 7 iron a certain distance etc -no idea why it matters. I just know if I’m faced with a shot of 140 I’ll know what club I need to take

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Does it make a difference what club they hit though ? Surely all that matters is what you hit and how far you hit each club so that you know what club you need to take. Even with clubs the same lofts it’s only relevant if you have the same swing speed and same impact. Guess it’s all the macho thing about hitting 7 iron a certain distance etc -no idea why it matters. I just know if I’m faced with a shot of 140 I’ll know what club I need to take

Do you never discuss shots after a game, or on the forum?
You know, "It was that windy I hit a 5 iron for my second shot into the third hole".

D

Deleted member 15344

You know, "It was that windy I hit a 5 iron for my second shot into the third hole".

Not really ?‍♂️ Certainly not to the level of what clubs were taken on which holes etc because it’s not exactly thrilling conversation and it’s not relevant to anyone what club was taken because of multiple factors

It’s the same with drivers - people driving “x distance” etc - again lots of different factors - wind , downhill , uphill , loft on driver , shot shape

Once we finish it’s mainly laughing about the poor shots we played

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
...well, it is 453 yds and down wind today. Normally it is into the wind and I struggle to reach in two shots. Missed the green left and made bogey, anyway.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not really ?‍♂️ Certainly not to the level of what clubs were taken on which holes etc because it’s not exactly thrilling conversation and it’s not relevant to anyone what club was taken because of multiple factors

It’s the same with drivers - people driving “x distance” etc - again lots of different factors - wind , downhill , uphill , loft on driver , shot shape

Once we finish it’s mainly laughing about the poor shots we played

Okay, I'll get my coat.