• Course guide

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • None

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I use a gps watch and like it. It does not require any extra time, you just take a glance at it and know where you stand. Mine is a bit of a primitive one (Garmin S2) which only gives distances to front/middle/back of the green, but not to any bunkers/hazards. That is something I sometimes miss, especially when playing a course I haven't played before. Also it is completely useless when playing on temporary greens in winter. So I sometimes think it would be nice to have a laser as a backup.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you're happy with front/middle/back a watch is good however I believe once you get a laser, you will hardly ever use your watch.

I'm selling an S20 garmin watch if you're interested, also gonna sell my laser and buy the ridiculously expensive garmin laser as well.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Which DMD, if any, do you favour and why?

I have both laser and gps, voted laser.

Gps easy and simple to see middle front back, hole profiles, doglegs blind stiff, foggy days.

Laser dont need to worry if course isnt mapped or play it 1st to map it. The to the yard to the flag is far better for scoring in the 120y in distances. You can always laser something, even off the tee or back to the tee to see how far u just hit it.

I'd have both, if only 1 the laser if knowing the distance to pin with scoring clubs is more imprtant, gps if u r lazy and just want a general idea.

Edit played a course the other day and theyd measured to temporary greens not normal ones on some holes. Couldnt trust gps as far as i could throw it from then and i teally wanted to throw it. So turned it off and laser only

D

Deleted member 16999

As others it’s a variety depending on course and layout.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've used both...various SkyCaddies from the 2.5 to the SGX and lasers, Pinseeker 150 and Bushnell Tourv4.

I've settled on the laser for the following reasons in no particular order...

1) I don't particularly like wearing watches whilst I'm playing
2) The laser measurement is direct and exact which is useful for approach shots
3) Stuff doesnt have to be mapped for you to get a yardage...I can laser other targets around the course quickly and easily....e,g, faces of bunkers that are short of the green....other golfers who may be ahead of me approaching the green at an ideal layup distance, trees that I know if I hit short of that I wont be in trouble, bridges over water hazard.
4)
5) They work everywhere without the need to map or charge up before you play.

The only real downsides with a laser is that it wont help when you are blocked out by trees....though usually you can move 5 or 10 yards left/right and be able to see a useful target to zap....and sometimes they struggle in fog and mist or very fine drizzle.

Last edited by a moderator:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Voted GPS\Phone but use a combination of SkyCaddie Touch and a laser as well. But mainly GPS.

Main reason is I get a pictorial view of the hole, which is great for new courses, and can drag the little cursor and it will show me distance to that point and then distance to the pin from there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I voted GPS unit simply because of speed of use. I do have a laser as well.
GPS unit over a watch because a good GPS unit has more course detail.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Garmin Approach for me. Small provides front middle and back plus hazards and has scoring capability. Yup a laser 'might' give slightly better accuracy but, in all honesty, I very much doubt that the vast majority of golfers can work to these additional accuracy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have both laser and gps, voted laser.

Gps easy and simple to see middle front back, hole profiles, doglegs blind stiff, foggy days.

Laser dont need to worry if course isnt mapped or play it 1st to map it. The to the yard to the flag is far better for scoring in the 120y in distances. You can always laser something, even off the tee or back to the tee to see how far u just hit it.

I'd have both, if only 1 the laser if knowing the distance to pin with scoring clubs is more imprtant, gps if u r lazy and just want a general idea.

Edit played a course the other day and theyd measured to temporary greens not normal ones on some holes. Couldnt trust gps as far as i could throw it from then and i teally wanted to throw it. So turned it off and laser only

Clearly wasn't a skycaddie then.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Garmin Approach for me. Small provides front middle and back plus hazards and has scoring capability. Yup a laser 'might' give slightly better accuracy but, in all honesty, I very much doubt that the vast majority of golfers can work to these additional accuracy.

Very true.

There may be a few on here that consistently hit their irons a set distance but they will be few and far between. A rough guide will suffice for us club golfer choppers.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
in all honesty, I very much doubt that the vast majority of golfers can work to these additional accuracy.

I agree with you to an extent, F/M/B is often for most but at times I've seen it 15+ yards out, so for me I'd rather know for certain the distance, cuts out any doubt.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have both - a Bushnell Phantom which is small and just shows front middle back etc but also links to the phone to give you the full hole picture if you want and I also have a Bushnell V3 Laser and use both at various stages through the round

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use SkyCaddie Touch but picked up a Golf Buddy LR5 second hand for £48 last year which I use in the winter when on temp greens.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a watch, but 80 yards and in - a laser. Don’t like using my laser mind as it slows me down a tad in some circumstances.