Which decade 'rocks' for you?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I wondered if folks would stereo-typically fall into the teen years decade or select a different decade, and why?

I'm afraid I fall into the stereo-typical bracket. 80's for me through and through. Though I will admit to being blinkered by rose tinted spectacales.The great thing about now, is that I can pick and choose what was great about it, and ignore the dross.

Over to you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
80's for me too. Out of school and college, earning a bit of cash, playing in a band, long hair (some hair!), girls, living by the adage "If you weren't wasted, the weekend was", gigs, cars, girls, Reading Festival, Roadieing for Motorhead, girls, ah! the list goes on...........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thats a toughie

I'm a huge fan of all things glam and prog rock from the 70's despite only being 13 in 79 but do have a warm fondness for the 80's and particularly the wild nights out I seemed to enjoy throughout the decade (no wonder the pancreas gave up the ghost). Boys trips to Tenerife, away matches with Fulham, Sunday morning football, offices with their own bar in the basement, managers who loved a beer as much as me (great for the off hangover indiced sickie), the joys of lunchtime strippers, stag do's golf away trips.

I'm not sure about the 80's fashion although I was a Pringle wearer (football casual - strictly in it for the look not the aggro). I wished I'd kept them as they were worth a small fortune although I doubt I'd get into them now. Had the obligatory Don Johnson jacket with the 3/4 sleeves and a two tone suit. Went from new romantic to skinhead in three weeks after getting hacked off with the aggro on the tube on the way home.

Still love a lot of the 80's music and to be honest its still a step up from rap music. Miss a lot of the old faces and wonder what they are doing now but haven't the time to check out Facebook or Friends Reunited.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Fork me Homer you've got some strings to ya bow.....a wannabe golf pro AND a soccer casual!! :D

Hope they let you take your goggles off before they twated you one mind! :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Facebook and Friends Reunited. That's a toughie. Do you 'check out' what 'old flames' or old friends are up to or not? Stalker springs to mind, but I'd genuinely love to know where there all at now. What's 'pc' now-a-days?

As for 80's fashion, I had the obligatory blouson style jacket suit, with the rolled up sleeves. Three quarter length only though!

Anyone remember burgandy as a fashionale colour though!

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
Still being quite young (25 on monday) it has to be late 90's early 00's for me. Brings back the good old days of pubs and clubs 7 nights a week :D

I do like 80's music and some 70's but i guess not having the memories of when the songs came out doesnt have the same relevance for me as the songs from my teenage years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wasn't in it for the aggro and I could shift a bit on my toes if I needed to. Only ever had a spot of bother at Pompey as a fan and one bit of hassle with the police at Gillingham who accused me of being drunk and trying to enter the ground. I tried pointing out that every Gills fans would have to be bevvied to watch them week in week out and that 50% of Fulham fans had had a drink.

He put me up against a wall and was going to nick me when some teenage Gills fans started lobbing bricks at the Fulham team coach. Slipped away and into the ground

I have used Friends Reunited to look up some old flames including the only woman to have ever broken my heart and a few old work faces but never really got into the whole Facebook thing of trying to invite people to join just because you worked at the same place or whatever. Maybe I've just become a grouchy old 40 something with his drunken memories and a technological phobia of these type of site

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
For me its the mid 70's to the mid 80's

Just thinking about the bands I saw...

Thin Lizzie At Hammersmith on the "Live & Dangerous" Tour
Saxon, Boston, Motorhead, Pink Floyd The Wall, Bowie,Status Quo, Journey, ELO at Wembley. Rush, Blue Oyster Cult,
Dire Straits. Black Sabbath (The Ronnie james Dio Version)
Michael Schenker, Fleetwood Mac. The List Goes On

oh I forgot, The Knife Weilding Scumbags Great Times

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
80's for me the days of Wham, Spandau Ballet ,Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, wearing Fila tracksuits, Diadora trainers , drinking White Lighting cider and Cally Special and following Dundee all over Scotland ahhh happy days.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't remember the 70s, and the noughties are/were pretty poor, so that leaves 80s and 90s. Ignoring Stock, Aitken and Waterman and the likes of Culture Club and the like, I'm going to vote for the 80s.
So many good memories, all sorts from Simple Minds to U2 to Level 42 (sorry), Michael Jackson, Dire Straights, Joy Division, Smiths, Sonic Youth, G n R, R.E.M, Prince, Depeche Mode, King Crimson, the Police.......Marillion......Queen (just)Human League, Genesis (just).....

:cool:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has to be the 80s - that's the decade of Don Giovanni, and Le Nozze di Figaro.

Oh, I see... it'll be the 70s then. Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zappa, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Bob Marley, Talking Heads, Genesis (in the good days), the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Ramones....

And then there's the memories of lying in the mud at Reading just waiting for Stacia of Hawkwind to appear - oh happy days

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
AAAHHH, the sixties for me, that's when it all started, flowers in your hair, sex, drugs and rock'n roll. Beatles, Animals - House of the rising sun, Procal Harem - Whiter shade of pale.....yeah those were the days :cool:

Great post Hapless!

PS, my other favourite was the 80's and the first Live Aid concert. Took the day off work and saw the whole concert on TV all day and way past midnight. Best musical memory ever!

Golfmmad.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have used Friends Reunited to look up some old flames including the only woman to have ever broken my heart

She nicked the last available bay down the driving range?????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guess it was the 70's for me. Glam rock and all that. Alvin Stardust, Gary Glitter, Mud, Elton John, David Cassidy, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, all that sort. I was just hitting my late teens, my nuts had dropped and I was a sexual tyranosaur..........yeah right.. ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
teen years were the '60's though never a great fan of the Beatles, more Beach Boys, then Animals, Procul Harum, Motown and the Stones - anyone remember the Monster Mash.
most of the 60's passed me by as I joined up early and that was a different world. you tried to cram everything into the leave periods - another reason why much passed me by; flogging blue liners in Brighton coffee bars - I'm sure half of those that bought them thought they were getting the latest 'high'. 'portable' record players were hardly that and compact music didn't exist so no record collections. then into the 70's and west coast rock (Steppenwolf), sabbath, led zeppelin, war, - played at max volume in the car on my 8-track!